Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Gt Britain and Ireland win the Ryder Cup without the rest of Europe?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Over 30 years since Jack Nicklaus and others all but insisted the competition be extended to Europe but do we have enough quality golfers within these isles to win on our own again?

However IMHO I actually think the European aspect adds to the contest.

D

Deleted member 18477

As there were 7 players from GB and Ireland in the team I'd say yes a fairly good chance. And seeing as those 7 contributed to 16 points I'd say yes again. (Some obviously won points with other GB players so they aren't proper points as such. They didn't get 16 out of the 16 and a half exactly...)

The American team is pretty poor at the mo though...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Thanks for your help but now clear off Europe? It'll never happen.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting question. Based on the qualifying rankings, the team would be:

McIlroy
Donaldson
Rose
McDowell
Gallacher
Luke Donald
Poulter
Westwood
Shane Lowry
Ross Fisher
David Howell
Paul Casey or Tommy Fleetwood

That's a decent team and they would give it a good go but I suspect no, they would not win.

The US have lost the intimidation factor - they started losing it in the 80's and have now lost it a completely when Tiger turned out to be a bit of a dud in the Ryder Cup. Europe dominate the top of the world rankings, we expect Europeans to win all the majors again and the US do not really have any exceptional players at the moment. I know it is a long while ago, but look back at the US team of 1981 for example - their team was packed with brilliance. Not anymore. Not sure why that is, and not bothered either really. Sod 'em! Besides, it is not that it isn't close - it's rarely one-sided anymore.

What I would like to know is when is Sussex going to produce a world class golfer? There have been some good ones, but no-one exceptional. Gary Evans looked like he would be but it never really happened and Paul Way was very good for a while but he totally lost it. I think Max Faulkner was the last Sussex born major winner.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Interesting question. Based on the qualifying rankings, the team would be:

McIlroy
Donaldson
Rose
McDowell
Gallacher
Luke Donald
Poulter
Westwood
Shane Lowry
Ross Fisher
David Howell
Paul Casey or Tommy Fleetwood

That's a decent team and they would give it a good go but I suspect no, they would not win.

That team would be royally roasted!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thanks for your help but now clear off Europe? It'll never happen.

Very much this. Let's face it Britain is very much part of Europe now, and long should that continue ... oh wail a minute, that's an entirely seperate debate isn't it?

Cowfold (the bus) Seagull ... very much pro-European.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think a GB & Ireland team would stand a decent chance, but as others have said, I really like the Europe aspect of it. It adds something very different to the event.

As to the US extending their reach - I was reading yesterday that the USA PGA has very close ties with S.America and Canada, but the feeling was that a. their ego would never allow them to admit they needed the help, and b. the available players would add little to their pool anyway. Australia and S.Africa have a load of talent, but hold absolutely no historic or geographical ties with US golf.

The point is that they shouldn't need anything like that anyway - this current USA team, man for man out-ranked the Europe team.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Maybe they should extend it to Europe v the Americas?

Well North America certainly. The inclusion of the golfing mad Canadians and Mexicans would destroy Europe though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think a GB & Ireland team would stand a decent chance, but as others have said, I really like the Europe aspect of it. It adds something very different to the event.

As to the US extending their reach - I was reading yesterday that the USA PGA has very close ties with S.America and Canada, but the feeling was that a. their ego would never allow them to admit they needed the help, and b. the available players would add little to their pool anyway. Australia and S.Africa have a load of talent, but hold absolutely no historic or geographical ties with US golf.

The point is that they shouldn't need anything like that anyway - this current USA team, man for man out-ranked the Europe team.

Yes, in this year's Ryder Cup, the US team, on paper at least, were comparable to, or even better than their European counterparts.

Perhaps leadership has been the issue in recent events? Certainly Phil Mickelson alluded to that in their post tournament press conference.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

That. The contests are always close - we are nowhere near the stage where we were up to 1979 when it was just an biannual thrashing for little old GB&I. They just need to man up and win a few more games, not cry about the captain dropping their self-styled best player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here