Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Building a web site

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have a domain name and someone to host it, so I am merely looking for a web site that gives 'free' templates which will allow me to put together my own web site - I am a novice at this.

Most free packages seem to be tied to hosting web sites, unless you know better. :wave:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have a domain name and someone to host it, so I am merely looking for a web site that gives 'free' templates which will allow me to put together my own web site - I am a novice at this.

Most free packages seem to be tied to hosting web sites, unless you know better. :wave:

I think you could do a lot worse than look into Wordpress. There are plenty of templates and themes that won't cost you much (or you'll find some are free). A bit more work in terms of preparing the site than one of the instant type ones, but you might have more control.

Weebly was another one I looked into which appeared pretty good.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I think you could do a lot worse than look into Wordpress. There are plenty of templates and themes that won't cost you much (or you'll find some are free). A bit more work in terms of preparing the site than one of the instant type ones, but you might have more control.

Weebly was another one I looked into which appeared pretty good.

I use word press, it's easy to use and they have plenty of templates.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Go with Wordpress.com rather than Wordpress.org if you're a novice. No worries about security updates and backups

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if your hosting provider doesnt give any basic web site templates, see if they give the option for a packaged install of Wordpress as mentioned.

if they dont, change hosting as they arent providing a meaningful service.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Have I got this wrong, but for most of the places offering the recommended software you seem to have to sign up for them to host it as well, and thats not what I want.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
To be honest a badly designed web site is as bad as a badly written one. All the tools and templates out there are ok, but it is no substitute for someone who can tailor it to your product/service and put a design out that is user friendly and slick. If this is a main portal for generating business then seek professional help is my advice. It pays for itself.in the long run, just like a physical shop as opposed to a market stall provides a certain degree of additional confidence.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
To be honest a badly designed web site is as bad as a badly written one. All the tools and templates out there are ok, but it is no substitute for someone who can tailor it to your product/service and put a design out that is user friendly and slick. If this is a main portal for generating business then seek professional help is my advice. It pays for itself.in the long run, just like a physical shop as opposed to a market stall provides a certain degree of additional confidence.

All that is true, but if the site is just to show off say photos and artwork and not for profit, then it's an unnecessary expense.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Took the words out of my mouth. Joomla has more functionality as a 'classic' website than Wordpress IMO.

The only issue I have with Joomla! is that the admin panel is awful - so much harder to do the simple things in comparison to Wordpress.

I'd throw my hat into Wordpress (mainly as all the sites I design use it) - wordpress.com is free and you can point your domain name to it easily. As mentioned earlier, it's free and deals with all the updates on your behalf...it just doesn't have the same level of freedom as its self-hosted brother in terms of freedom of using themes or plugins.

D

Deleted member 22389

Have I got this wrong, but for most of the places offering the recommended software you seem to have to sign up for them to host it as well, and thats not what I want.

Find out what hosting you have been offered. Space and Bandwidth per month. What is it, a Windows or Linux server.
Really if you want zero hassle you might as well sign up for a webhosting package. I have been with xilo for years and never had any real problems.

Their hosting packages do not break the bank and secondly you can install Wordpress, Joomla and anything else directly from CPanel. So know messing configuring databases, installing .php scripts.

http://www.xilo.net/shared_web_hosting/

D

Deleted member 22389

The only issue I have with Joomla! is that the admin panel is awful - so much harder to do the simple things in comparison to Wordpress.

I'd throw my hat into Wordpress (mainly as all the sites I design use it) - wordpress.com is free and you can point your domain name to it easily. As mentioned earlier, it's free and deals with all the updates on your behalf...it just doesn't have the same level of freedom as its self-hosted brother in terms of freedom of using themes or plugins.

Joomla is right over the top and your right it's not the easiest thing to get going on.
I have also seen a fair few Joomla sites that get busy, end up throttling the whole server. I suppose if you don't have the programming skills to create your own database driven website then your left with these sorts of packages.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you use a Mac I recommend Rapidweaver - design it on your computer, generate the files and then upload to your webspace. Perfect for static sites. Comes with lots of templates.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
All that is true, but if the site is just to show off say photos and artwork and not for profit, then it's an unnecessary expense.
Correct, if it is for personal use then I would use something like word press. I wasnt sure what was required from the original post.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Correct, if it is for personal use then I would use something like word press. I wasnt sure what was required from the original post.

My fault for not saying. Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here