Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have those on NSC who think Croydon is a dump had a good look at parts of Brighton?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Some of Brighton's very worst streets which are the equal or anything Croydon can throw at you:

I give you West Street. What a bloody disgrace for one of the main streets in our city ... and the one visitors walk down to the seafront when arriving by train. Crappy buildings, awful shops, tatty amusement arcades. Road signs almost obliterated by stickers advertising various events. I'm embarrassed every time I walk down there.

I give you the Brighton Centre and the Odeon. What a disaster these two buildings are on our seafront. Who slipped the council planners a lot of money to get approval to build these two monstrosities? Ugly as hell and not even maintained to a good standard.

I give you Middle Street. An unpleasant ugly little street without one single redeeming feature leading right off our seafront.

I give you North Street which now has more closed shops than open ones.

I am no fan of the dump which is Croydon, but I had a good look at Brighton the other day and I'm embarrassed to say there's an awful lot not to be proud of. And unfortunately it doesn't appear to be getting any better.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Had to log on just to answer this thread-big difference is a short 2 minute walk cures all ill's in Brighton.....Croydon offers no such relief..

Goodnight!

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Take the point re: Queens Road, it's shocking that that's the first thing you see. They've worked to revamp London Road, Queens Road needs similar

West Street is what it is. Not at all nice but brings a lot of revenue and tourism to the city.

The seafront buildings are rank on the eye but two of the most busy venues going.

North Street...well, it's just a bog standard street isn't it, with a lot of buses.

Middle Street is a cut through, most won't go near it unless they're heading to Casablanca...

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Middle Street has The Synagogue, one of the best pubs in Brighton The Hop Poles, also the Coach House and the Hippodrome which they are trying to develop.

Queens Road has had its pavements widened and roads layout changed, I thinks it's much improved and have noticed new investment in the businesses in that road.

West Street is a chavs day and night out, always was that's just the way it is, go to other places if it's not your thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if those are the worse you can present against Brighton, i fail to see your point.

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
As an adopted Brightonian of 25 years standing all I can say is I've never lost the feeling of affection every time I'm on a train rolling into Brighton station after I've been away... would NEVER feel that if the train was rolling into the godforsaken hole that is ****ing Croydon

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can't help but agree with this, but roll on 2015 so we can boot out this Green council and get this City thriving again!

Don't fool yourself, our Basil. It was no better before, and it'll be no better afterwards.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is the OP the secret palace fan account on here - I forget?!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Which cities DONT have ugly parts? At least our pretty parts are unique to compensate for the inevitable shortfalls.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Croydon is an urban sprawl but immediately around it are some very pleasant and expensive areas. Addiscombe, Shirley, Sanderstead, Whitgift. Purley, Woodcote etc. Croydon central is not very desirable. Some of the fringe areas are.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Look at the rest of England outside of the major cities, it's falling into disrepair... Brighton really ain't that bad, and that's partly thanks to our fantastic council

Fantastic council? Don't make me laugh. When working for a local mp I never read one email stating they wanted the i360. The lewes road scheme resulted in the death of a student 6 months after it came into full use, and the queues are ridiculous during rush hour. They're so bad at elm grove I can't walk along without being sick due to pollution. Yes the level looks pretty but really in a time of recession. Was it necessary? Link that with the fact that their local councillors made it abundantly clear they didn't care that the local university kept us up with their damn rave on Sunday night and the fact nobody wants to offend the non tax paying 'travellers' who constantly at anti-social on wild park just shows what kind of people this lot really care about. No council in this city has been good due to constant infighting but I also can't remember a council being this bad.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
croydon is a ****ing dump....the tram system gave the chance for ****ing morons to enter a shithole......not normal morons either.......top of the range ****ing idiots........croydon is a special place for special people..........Croydon Is Stonehenge For W#nkers

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Croydon is an urban sprawl but immediately around it are some very pleasant and expensive areas. Addiscombe, Shirley, Sanderstead, Whitgift. Purley, Woodcote etc. Croydon central is not very desirable. Some of the fringe areas are.

The members of Purley Downs Golf Club would roar with laughter at being called a fringe area of Croydon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here