Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This season will be a long struggle

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I really do fear for us this season, yesterday was a good defensive point away at an out of sorts Forest team but overall I have serious concerns. In Midfield we simply don't have the creative force and the quality for me just isn't there to sustain a successful season at this level, I don't see where the goals will come from considering the link up play is more or less non descript.

We appear to be very reliaint on Lua lua and that appears to be it for our creative play as JFC is clearly not the answer and Crofts looks a yard behind the pace with the forward line looking generally very disjointed and appear to have very little understanding of playing as a front two together, hopefully this will come. As a squad we have lost key players in the last 8 months which include Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Ward, Kush, Ulloa, Upson and for me after seeing the majority of the first 9 games of the season I just don't see the players that have replaced them as on the same level.

It's my opinion, I hope i'm very wrong but a long season awaits, Baldock, Colunga, O'Grady & CMS is not a set of forwards that will worry most championship defenses and that for me is why we will struggle.

We clearly missed out on Clayton, Grabban & Ward and for me have got a set of B list targets into the club and that's showing so far, long way to go however but I predict around 15th for the Albion and not the top six as Tony Bloom thinks were capable of, how he's worked that out is beyond me.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I really do fear for us this season, yesterday was a good defensive point away at an out of sorts Forest team but overall I have serious concerns. In Midfield we simply don't have the creative force and the quality for me just isn't there to sustain a successful season at this level, I don't see where the goals will come from considering the link up play is more or less non descript.

We appear to be very reliaint on Lua lua and that appears to be it for our creative play as JFC is clearly not the answer and Crofts looks a yard behind the pace with the forward line looking generally very disjointed and appear to have very little understanding of playing as a front two together, hopefully this will come. As a squad we have lost key players in the last 8 months which include Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Ward, Kush, Ulloa, Upson and for me after seeing the majority of the first 9 games of the season I just don't see the players that have replaced them as on the same level.

It's my opinion, I hope i'm very wrong but a long season awaits, Baldock, Colunga, O'Grady & CMS is not a set of forwards that will worry most championship defenses and that for me is why we will struggle.

We clearly missed out on Clayton, Grabban & Ward and for me have got a set of B list targets into the club and that's showing so far, long way to go however but I predict around 15th for the Albion and not the top six as Tony Bloom thinks were capable of, how he's worked that out is beyond me.

You seem to have completely forgotten about Tex, McCourt and Holla - all of them are quality. Bennett is a decent addition to the defence too, and we have Stephens and March to come back from injury. Lack of strike power remains an issue, but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
1. Remember where we came from. 2. Last season saw some moaners coming out of the woodwork even though it was a traditional season. 2. Lucky to make the play offs but given a jolt of realism for the long term good by Derby. 3. With regard to players you can only get what is available. As things panned out Ward etc were not available cos they went elsewhere. Get over it. 4. It's going to be a work in progress season. 5. The last couple of results have shown that there is a good chance that it is not going to be all gloom and doom. 6. Never underestimate the quality and strength of the Championship [particularly given many of the clubs have parachute funds] so mid table would be no disgrace at all. 7. Enjoy the journey as much as you can because it might be better than the destination, is there is a destination!

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
1. Remember where we came from. 2. Last season saw some moaners coming out of the woodwork even though it was a traditional season. 2. Lucky to make the play offs but given a jolt of realism for the long term good by Derby. 3. With regard to players you can only get what is available. As things panned out Ward etc were not available cos they went elsewhere. Get over it. 4. It's going to be a work in progress season. 5. The last couple of results have shown that there is a good chance that it is not going to be all gloom and doom. 6. Never underestimate the quality and strength of the Championship [particularly given many of the clubs have parachute funds] so mid table would be no disgrace at all. 7. Enjoy the journey as much as you can because it might be better than the destination, is there is a destination!
8 Check what you've typed before you post [see point2] 'transitional'

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I was a bit concerned at the very start of the season whilst the players were getting used to the new system, but the signs are there that things are beginning to click, especially defensively. We are lacking a do the business forward though, I share your worries about the scoring power of CMS, Baldock and O'Grady.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Top 6 is still realistic; we have a talented squad of players (who've just earned a point in possibly the hardest fixture of the season), and you only need a good run of results at any stage of the season to get there, as the past 2 years have shown.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You seem to have completely forgotten about Tex, McCourt and Holla - all of them are quality. Bennett is a decent addition to the defence too, and we have Stephens and March to come back from injury. Lack of strike power remains an issue, but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Edited

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here