Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To cut a long story short.......

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Does the history of the British Empire make you feel proud of being British?
Just watching the fictional " The Patriot" doesn't help.
Having spent a good while travelling the beautiful shores of Africa didn't really help either for me.

Just curious like.........

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
BqY5tdwCAAIHDI1.png

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I thought the punchline was going to be;

"Is known as a synopsis"

Thank you I'm here all week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, taking that history as a whole.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Does the history of the British Empire make you feel proud of being British?
Just watching the fictional " The Patriot" doesn't help.
Having spent a good while travelling the beautiful shores of Africa didn't really help either for me.

Just curious like.........

I'm not sure Mel Gibson is very even-handed with his treatment of the British over his film career, if it's any help :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Proud of my country. Given the world a lot and yes there have been mistakes on the way. Taking the fictional 'The Patriot', the Brits are made out to be right shits but the Americans weren't sweet as candy. They didn't treat the natives very well and they kept slavery long after we outlawed it. Sins of their fathers and all that you can't really judge a modern country on what happened 250 years ago.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
History is just one thing after another.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
you can't really judge a modern country on what happened 250 years ago.

no you cant and this is the sensible way to look at the viewpoint.

It wont stop the usual suspects however from doing exactly this........yawn yawn yawn!

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Ah the great debate on how great the British Empire. Yes we did bad things but we also done some great things. Recently I worked with a guy from Sudan and a girl from Sierra Leone. So I got right to the point and asked what their feelings were on the British empire and British rule. Both actually said that their families actually preferred life under British rule as it kept their countries fairly stable.

After all let's look at how wrong things have gone in many African countries and some Asian countries after independence. Pretty much dictatorships, civil wars and tribal infighting.

You can see why some preferred British rule to what they have now.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not in the slightest. But then after saying that I'm sure some Richard Littlejohn types will accuse me of hand wringing middle class guilt or some other nonsense. I don't feel shame about something I didn't do either.
History is what it is, there's plenty to look back on that should make you say 'that's terrible'. Stuff that makes you say, 'that's good' (although the further you go back people were pretty bloody horrible to each other!)
I like history, but think we should be as objective as we can about it. I have to say, I have no idea how people can feel 'pride' over events that happened 100s of years ago. Sorry, it makes no sense to me.

As for England, Britain, whatever, love the place.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Without having watched that documentary, yes I am proud of our history. Who can explain pride? It's just that nice toasty feeling of belonging that nationalism gives you. That doesn't mean to say I lack respect for other countries, and I enjoy learning about other civilisations and cultures going back millennia.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
......I lost my mind

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I am not sure that watching The Patriot is a good basis for understanding the history of the British Empire, anymore than Braveheart gives you a good understanding of the history of the Scottish Wars of Independence. Hollywood does not have a terribly good record at getting at the truth of history, just at getting at the personal leanings of the director or at getting maximum bums on seats in the USA.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I am not sure that watching The Patriot is a good basis for understanding the history of the British Empire, anymore than Braveheart gives you a good understanding of the history of the Scottish Wars of Independence. Hollywood does not have a terribly good record at getting at the truth of history, just at getting at the personal leanings of the director or at getting maximum bums on seats in the USA.

and this

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
It does amaze me that this tiny little island at one time basically ran most of the world. Suggests to me that we are the home of dynamic thinking minds, and a place where folks also like a bit of a ruck.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The Patriot :lolol:

Got to be one of the worst historically inaccurate film I've ever seen.

Another Pom bashing film by the Australian Mel Gibson. :wanker:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
History can be spun one way or the other and those with political vents will with the left being at least as bad as the far right.

In terms of comparisons though the left comes unstuck as compared with other empires it was more humane, less bloody and more respectful to locals customs and traditions.

As someone who tends to be more interested in the future than the past the history question becomes what is the historical legacy?

I have heard this called the Anglo-saxon legacy in the fight/defeat of 3 evils. Communism/Facism/ Religious Fundementalism.

I would add to that a global langauge, case law legal system, Railways/infrastructure, Modern Democracy, Cricket and foundation of international human rights/settlements with the Alabama settlement which preceded the Hague Convention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here