Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

viewing figures

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When calculating the viewing figures do they take in to account people like my wife who wants to watch both Strictly and X factor so watches Strictly on BBC and records X Factor as she can then cut out the adverts and make the program shorter and enable her to go to bed earlier having watched both before MOTD.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It always amazes mne how they can determine how many people are watching which show when they say that Strictly had 11m viewers and X Factor 10m how do they know which one my wife is watching and which she is recording.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Unless you have a BARB box, they have no idea what you are watching at all, and you don't come into the stats.

Everyone who has a BARB box (just over 5,000 homes, counting for 11,000 people) accounts for 5,000 viewers.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You'd be amazed at what they know. They include you in the viewing figures too, BG, because they KNOW you are in the room, and watching too, even if under sufferance.

I am not included as I refuse to look at the screen, even if it is on and I am in the room. They know this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its based on a sample of a few thousand people, so its probably largely a load of guff, and i dont see how it could possible count those time shifting programmes.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
It always amazes mne how they can determine how many people are watching which show when they say that Strictly had 11m viewers and X Factor 10m how do they know which one my wife is watching and which she is recording.

They look through your net curtains and have a clip board to tick off whose watching what !!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Unless you have a BARB box, they have no idea what you are watching at all, and you don't come into the stats.

Everyone who has a BARB box (just over 5,000 homes, counting for 11,000 people) accounts for 5,000 viewers.

its based on a sample of a few thousand people, so its probably largely a load of guff, and i dont see how it could possible count those time shifting programmes.

Nonsense. They know.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
They ask them. That's how they know. A sample of course so your wife won't have been directly asked. My girlfriend was interviewed by telephone in a survey so was asked. She also watches both and explained perfectly clearly in between looking over her shoulder that she has to record one while watching the other. She didn't see me. I made it clear later that I'd seen AND heard her.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You'd be amazed at what they know. They include you in the viewing figures too, BG, because they KNOW you are in the room, and watching too, even if under sufferance.

I am not included as I refuse to look at the screen, even if it is on and I am in the room. They know this.
They probably dont know I am on my laptop on NSC not really watching either, TV just on in the background.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/barb-facts/how-we-do-what-we-do

In order to estimate viewing patterns across all TV households, a carefully selected panel of private homes is recruited. Each home on the panel represents, on average, about 5,000 TV homes. These panel homes are drawn from a household sample that is designed by RSMB to remain representative of all television households across the UK. This means it always encompasses the full range of demographic and TV reception variations, amongst other variables, that are found across the country and in different ITV and BBC regions.​

In every panel household, all television viewing is monitored automatically by special metering equipment installed by Kantar Media. Included in this process is viewing of recorded programmes that are watched within seven days of the original broadcast; this is referred to as timeshift viewing. More than 30,000 viewing devices are monitored across the panel of over 5,100 homes, including PVRs, DVDRs and VCRs, as well as standard set-top boxes.

Residents and guests in a panel home register their presence in a room containing a television set that is switched on, which is the BARB definition of television viewing. They then deregister when leaving the room. In this way, the meter records all viewing by every person in the household aged 4+, adding individual demographic information to the overall viewing data. This information is uploaded automatically to BARB every morning between 2am and 6am where it is processed to apply various statistical adjustments.​

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If the TV is the same as the radio, which I imagine it is, you will get given a booklet in which you write down exactly what you watch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the TV is the same as the radio, which I imagine it is, you will get given a booklet in which you write down exactly what you watch.

Ah, just seen the above post. Seems they do it differently for TV.

Ps I used to provide my listening figures for the radio survey from time to time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/barb-facts/how-we-do-what-we-do

In order to estimate viewing patterns across all TV households, a carefully selected panel of private homes is recruited. Each home on the panel represents, on average, about 5,000 TV homes. These panel homes are drawn from a household sample that is designed by RSMB to remain representative of all television households across the UK. This means it always encompasses the full range of demographic and TV reception variations, amongst other variables, that are found across the country and in different ITV and BBC regions.​

In every panel household, all television viewing is monitored automatically by special metering equipment installed by Kantar Media. Included in this process is viewing of recorded programmes that are watched within seven days of the original broadcast; this is referred to as timeshift viewing. More than 30,000 viewing devices are monitored across the panel of over 5,100 homes, including PVRs, DVDRs and VCRs, as well as standard set-top boxes.

Residents and guests in a panel home register their presence in a room containing a television set that is switched on, which is the BARB definition of television viewing. They then deregister when leaving the room. In this way, the meter records all viewing by every person in the household aged 4+, adding individual demographic information to the overall viewing data. This information is uploaded automatically to BARB every morning between 2am and 6am where it is processed to apply various statistical adjustments.​

That doesnt represent anything like 9m as the figure that will be quoted in the press on Sunday or Monday for the most watched and 7m or 8m for the
other as this represents about 15+m viewers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If there wasn't a man with a clipboard sitting in your spare armchair closely observing you and your wife then, no, you've not been counted.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here