Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He's not a lone front man. We know that from Gus's days, he looks absolutely lost up top on his own. Not complaining because I genuinely like the bloke but for me, if we had an Ulloa or Murray today and not him we'd have won the game.

He receives the ball a lot with his back to goal and always struggles to retain possession.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I'm surprised that COG hasn't had a bit more game time supporting either CMS or Baldock. I'm not suggesting COG as a starter, and it's unlikely he'll score a lot of goals, but he has the body strength to hold the ball and potentially supply players who can put the ball in the goal. If defenders are tiring, he could be a nuisance in the last 20 mins of so

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I don't think so, considering the appearances he has had and the amount of goals he has scored.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Channel runner. That's his position. Same as Garry Nelson.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
When I think of clinical finishers I think of Raul and Van Nistelrooy etc..

Not CMS

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
No, sadly that's not his out and out natural strength, an eye for goal, no matter the mystery formation and style some seem to think would have him score endlessly. He's not an atrocious striker, but one gets the sense he's more a hit and hope rather than clinical.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
I note no one's actually answered the question yet.

The answer is no. He has attributes, clinical finisher is not one of them.

Thanks. It appears that, being honest, he is a very well liked player, good bloke but seriously runs around and in my view can't put the bloody ball in the net.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
If he finds himself with the ball at his feet in the box I think he's proved he can finish. Sadly every other aspect of his game is woeful unless we are judging players on needlessly running around without purpose.
50p piece.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Simple question. Is he a clinical finisher?

Simple answer: no.

I think he's had enough time now, he's a mid - lower end Championship striker, who is capable of producing the odd moment of brilliance. Great guy, can't fault his effort, but he simply isn't the player we all thought / hoped he was when we signed him. This will be his last year.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Simple answer: no.

I think he's had enough time now, he's a mid - lower end Championship striker, who is capable of producing the odd moment of brilliance. Great guy, can't fault his effort, but he simply isn't the player we all thought / hoped he was when we signed him. This will be his last year.
This is the answer.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How many real chances does he get when playing for us, not just half chances and how does his conversion rate compare to other players (past and present)

Sadly he isn't given much to work with and often tries to turn a bad pass / through ball / cross into something and makes that look a better delivery than it actually was. Maybe this also means that those playing the pass or whatever feel they don't need to be so accurate because he is a keen chaser? maybe they would look to put more quality on the cross rather than the usual aimless dross that CMS and others more often than not have had to work with, but it's too easy to blame the person for not getting onto the end of a bad cross.

I doubt Ulloa would have scored for us today either, the crosses were often poor and it's not down to the striker missing the chances, it's not having any / many chances to miss.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He's not a lone front man. We know that from Gus's days, he looks absolutely lost up top on his own. Not complaining because I genuinely like the bloke but for me, if we had an Ulloa or Murray today and not him we'd have won the game.

He receives the ball a lot with his back to goal and always struggles to retain possession.

This, IMO. I think if he was given throw balls in the channels (like JFC gave him for his 2nd half chance) then he'll make something happen, but those are few and far between. It's why he thrived at Peterborough - he loved feeding off the flicks/through balls from Boyd/McClean but we just don't play like that. It's a shame as I adore the bloke, but he's not for our system.
Considering we were lumping balls up front near the end, I did wonder if COG would have been a decent option to hold it up and bring others into play.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

The number of times he had to chase a hopeful ball and when he got to it, he was looking for someone to pass to and there was no-one even remotely close to him and looking to link up. He got into a good position and was looking to lay it back for someone to shoot (he was too wide and had too amny markers nearby himself to have a go) but again there was no-one there.

It's difficult to do much when so heavily outnumbered by defenders, often having been played wide or too deep for a real chance at goal himself by a terrible pass and yet he often retains the ball and plays it to someone (when there is someone available)

What he does offer is also overlooked, his industry up front meant that Forest's defence couldn't push right up and help put our defence under even more pressure because they know that a ball played over the top will give him something to chase and therefore they didn't want to leave too much empty space behind them for him to exploit.

Give him a decent service and the goals will come too, either for him or for others that he can create (such as Ulloa last season at Forest - if only CMS had crosses like that one to work with)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I watched the stream today and at one point in the first half all you could see was CMS holding up the ball with SEVEN red shirts around him. I'm not convinced he's the striker we thought he'd be but we do ask an awful lot of him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here