Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the train people

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I'll get right to it:

On a home match day I travel down from E.Croydon and I know I only need to buy a ticket to Haywards Heath. The question is: am I allowed to get on a non-stop service to Brighton with a ticket to H.Heath?

I know if I had two regular rail tickets (E.Croydon to H.Heath and H.Heath to Brighton) this would not strictly be allowed as I don't call at Haywards Heath but is the rule different for a rail ticket and a match ticket?

And if the answer is no what would the penalty be? I only realised I may be in the wrong when I thought about it on the way down for the Blackpool game, on the non-stop service...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I only buy a ticket to Worthing when I go to games on the train.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'll get right to it:

On a home match day I travel down from E.Croydon and I know I only need to buy a ticket to Haywards Heath. The question is: am I allowed to get on a non-stop service to Brighton with a ticket to H.Heath?

I know if I had two regular rail tickets (E.Croydon to H.Heath and H.Heath to Brighton) this would not strictly be allowed as I don't call at Haywards Heath but is the rule different for a rail ticket and a match ticket?

And if the answer is no what would the penalty be? I only realised I may be in the wrong when I thought about it on the way down for the Blackpool game, on the non-stop service...

You haven't said how you get from Kuala Lumpur to East Croydon? lol. Seriously though, there can't be many trains that go between East Croydon and Brighton that don't stop at Haywards Heath anyway?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
No, you've already answered the question, the train needs to stop at Haywards Heath but whether somebody would enforce it to the exact letters of the law is another question, I wouldn't have done but then I'm an Albion fan so always looked after my fellow supporters but whether someone else would I cannot say.

ArE yoU FEELING ok?

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
You're unlikely to get any arguments on a match day if you do hop on one of the few Brighton express trains that skips HH, and you've got both a match ticket and return from East Croydon to HH. However, you're doing yourself a disservice by not getting a direct train from East Croydon to Lewes - by far the better way to get to Falmer from London.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, you've already answered the question, the train needs to stop at Haywards Heath but whether somebody would enforce it to the exact letters of the law is another question, I wouldn't have done but then I'm an Albion fan so always looked after my fellow supporters but whether someone else would I cannot say.

OP clearly has no intention of fare-dodging. Has a valid set of tickets/passes for his entire journey. Dare say there's some tiny wee bit of sub-paragraphing in his T&Cs somewhere that says he's not allowed to do it, but would suggest case for the prosecution would fall apart earlydoors.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You haven't said how you get from Kuala Lumpur to East Croydon? lol. Seriously though, there can't be many trains that go between East Croydon and Brighton that don't stop at Haywards Heath anyway?

At weekends xx06 and xx36 from Victoria are Clapham Junction, East Croydon and Brighton only.

matey

Mar 16, 2014

I usually do KL to Dubai to Gatwick and train to Brighton.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
OP clearly has no intention of fare-dodging. Has a valid set of tickets/passes for his entire journey. Dare say there's some tiny wee bit of sub-paragraphing in his T&Cs somewhere that says he's not allowed to do it, but would suggest case for the prosecution would fall apart earlydoors.

If you split ticket, i.e. a East Croydon to H Heath return and a Albion ticket, the train must stop where you split your tickets, it is a well known condition and well publicised on all the sites like Money Saving Expert.

It's just as easy and just as quick to jump on the fast Thameslink from East Croydon that do stop at H.Heath

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'll get right to it:

I travelled from London for 3 years to the Amex and always bought a ticket to Haywards Heath. Nobody ever queried it.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think the answer is quite simple having done this for years. If it's a weekend game just buy the first capital connect day return from east croydon ticket office for ten quid. No split ticket is cheaper. If it's a weeknight game split ticket.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'll get right to it:

Jacko?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here