Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Artificial pitches set for return

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
more than happy for this - makes financial sense for the smaller clubs - who can then use it for training as well. they could then feasibly sell their old training ground, or stop renting etc...

also means they can rent it out to the public and generate income - and the quality of the pitches nowadays really is good

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I vaguely recall getting hammered by Oldham when they had theirs ... 6-1?!

WORST AWAY DAY EVER - FACT

Over 500 mile round trip
Got stuffed
Ex player scored a hatrick
Freezing bloody cold
Worst meat and potato pie ever at a football ground
Car broke down on way home - alternator died

No, I'm not a fan.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29376418?SThisEM

Thoughts? I'm not a fan ...

I vaguely recall getting hammered by Oldham when they had theirs ... 6-1?!

I realise the quality has improved vastly since those days, but football is meant to be okayed on the real Mccoy, grass!

WORST AWAY DAY EVER - FACT

Over 500 mile round trip
Got stuffed
Ex player scored a hatrick
Freezing bloody cold
Worst meat and potato pie ever at a football ground
Car broke down on way home - alternator died

No, I'm not a fan.

Yeah I was there for the 6-1. Bloody awful day out. However we eventually found what the players had to contend with. In those days I occasionally played for our supporters team and Oldham's fans offered us a game on the Boundary Park astro straight after the main game. I remember we were roundly beaten and one guy took a load of skin off his leg just making a tackle. A particular favourite tactic was to shoot from distance so that the ball bounced in the penalty area - it never bounced how you expected it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yeah I was there for the 6-1. Bloody awful day out. However we eventually found what the players had to contend with. In those days I occasionally played for our supporters team and Oldham's fans offered us a game on the Boundary Park astro straight after the main game. I remember we were roundly beaten and one guy took a load of skin off his leg just making a tackle. A particular favourite tactic was to shoot from distance so that the ball bounced in the penalty area - it never bounced how you expected it.

Awful pitch. when the ball wasn't in our net it was out of play. It simply doesn't hold up like grass.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting one. I didn't go to that Maidstone game but they don't seem to have had too many complaints about their pitch. The modern ones are a world away from the ones that Oldham, QPR, Preston and Luton had, which are more like the 5-a-side pitches you get at your local leisure centre.

I'd have thought if a top level rugby team like Saracens can play on such a pitch, then injuries can't be too much of a concern. For football, therefore, it's just a case of making sure the ball runs across the surface in the same way it would on a grass pitch. Hopefully it will also bring an end to the Klinsmann swallow dive goal celebration too (though, less pleasingly, also the traditional knee slide).

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It would also please me if it meant Maidstone were allowed to progress through the pyramid should they win promotion, something which they are currently denied.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
This is what Saracens' 3G pitch looks like close up.

...compared to QPR's astroturf horror...

89452721.jpg

SAC

May 21, 2014
more than happy for this - makes financial sense for the smaller clubs - who can then use it for training as well. they could then feasibly sell their old training ground, or stop renting etc...

also means they can rent it out to the public and generate income - and the quality of the pitches nowadays really is good

This makes sense but then some fans on here would be taking the p out of any club who can't afford a new training ground with 15 pitches.

Jul 7, 2003
Can see a good case for them at county, ryman level as some of the pitches are dog,plus a great income stream for this level:thumbsup: If the council are responsible for your pitch up keep you've got no chance with a grass pitch:facepalm:

Read last week that Worthing were looking to put in a 4G pitch at Woodside because of the additional revenue it can bring in on non-match days.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Read last week that Worthing were looking to put in a 4G pitch at Woodside because of the additional revenue it can bring in on non-match days.

Horsham have applied for planning permission for a new ground, with a 4g pitch.

And if Russia can play World Cup qualifiers on them, they should be acceptable elsewhere.l

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here