Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Modem Help

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I need a bit of advice here chaps.
My BT infinity has gone down, phoned BT and after spending about a year on the phone to a nice little Indian chap, we have discovered that the modem isn't working (no dsl light).
He's run tests on the line which were all fine, so I've taken my modem to work and hey presto it's working fine, so is obviously not the modem itself, is it possible the dsl cable thingy has stopped working ?
We not been any where near it so its not been damaged.
All very bizarre !

D

Deleted member 22389

I need a bit of advice here chaps.
My BT infinity has gone down, phoned BT and after spending about a year on the phone to a nice little Indian chap, we have discovered that the modem isn't working (no dsl light).
He's run tests on the line which were all fine, so I've taken my modem to work and hey presto it's working fine, so is obviously not the modem itself, is it possible the dsl cable thingy has stopped working ?
We not been any where near it so its not been damaged.
All very bizarre !

I'm also guessing your normal phone works? If your phone works, and the DSL light is not coming on, then either your connection has been turned off, or something wrong with Infinity box they installed that comes off your phone line.

I know this a is a silly question, is the cable OK from the infinity box to your modem

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The "help" desk work from scripts and the system raises a fault for diagnosis by a human if it needs to. They tell you it's the box because that's what most people understand; they don't want to have to explain network topology.
If your box works at work (possibly wont authenticate but that's not an issue) then that proves the box is ok. If your phone still works then this then puts the fault either in the cabinet, on the fibre or in the exchange.
Have they made an appointment for an engineer to call ? (they do this for all faults, if testing shows the fault to be in the exchange/cab then it will probably get fixed sooner).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Do you have another phone port at home? If you do connect it up and see if it works (preferably the primary one, there will be one which is connected to the copper into the house, the rest are wired off the primary)

If it works it's probably a local cabling issue to the house (which if you get a BT engineer out maybe chargebale to you)
If it does not work, likelihood is that its to do with the phone line itself which is a BT problem (and not chargebale to you)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
No idea around technicalities however from personal experience I would steer well clear from BT internet. Appalling customer service and support received from them.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
It gets stranger, after testing my modem at work, I unplugged it, plugged my work modem in and now that stopped working, tried to reset it etc. nothing, gone and got a new cable and its fired up straight away, its as if my home modem has made my cable stop working.
I'll be buggered if I know whats caused it !

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It gets stranger, after testing my modem at work, I unplugged it, plugged my work modem in and now that stopped working, tried to reset it etc. nothing, gone and got a new cable and its fired up straight away, its as if my home modem has made my cable stop working.
I'll be buggered if I know whats caused it !

I'll bet you 10p that when you get home, your home modem works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here