Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did You Attend Any Of The Following At The Goldstone?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Watford (April 58)
Midd'boro (Dec 58)
Fulham (Dec 58)
Liverpool (Jan 60)
Burnley (Jan 61)
Northampton (April 63)
Chester (Feb 65)
Southend (Nov 65)
Wisbech (Nov 65)
Mansfield (Jan 66)
Chelsea (Feb 67)
Bournemouth (Dec 71)

If so,would be great to here some memories

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bournemouth 71 was when we won 2-0 if memory serves me right. Mcdougall and Boyer up front for them although I can't really remember if they were both playing that day. They were a prolithic partnership and the Bournemouth fans were in the north stand. I can remember a couple of people being led out by the old north east corner transfer booth (come on kids ask) with nasty head wounds. A big crowd that day because Bournemouth really were our biggest rivals in those days along with Luton. Was that the year Macdougal got 9 in one game against Margate in the cup ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All of them but obviously Southend and Wisbech stand out because we scored 9 and 10 goals respectively. Watford 58 for our first promotion to Div II and the story going around of it being a fix.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth 71 was my Brothers first game [MENTION=14486]getofftheropes[/MENTION]

As kids we all went down to the front of the chicken run whilst the adults stayed further up the terrace. Apparently there was an announcement 'will the parents of getofftheropes please come to the police box to collect him'

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
I know dad went to the Fulham game (36,747 wasn't it?) and I'm pretty sure he went to the Liverpool one as well. ;)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
All of them but obviously Southend and Wisbech stand out because we scored 9 and 10 goals respectively. Watford 58 for our first promotion to Div II and the story going around of it being a fix.
Almost the same BG...APART FROM...The Middlesborough match...due to RN duties...Southend/Wisbech is something we will not see too often 19 goals in two games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Watford (April 58)
Midd'boro (Dec 58)
Fulham (Dec 58)
Liverpool (Jan 60)
Burnley (Jan 61)
Northampton (April 63)
Chester (Feb 65)
Southend (Nov 65)
Wisbech (Nov 65)
Mansfield (Jan 66)
Chelsea (Feb 67)
Bournemouth (Dec 71)

If so,would be great to here some memories

Bournemouth 1971. On the terraces at the south end of the west stand. 35,000 plus crowd. Couldn't see much to be honest. Great day though - we won!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bournemouth 1971. On the terraces at the south end of the west stand. 35,000 plus crowd. Couldn't see much to be honest. Great day though - we won!

It was actually 30,500 but they did tinker with figures in those days. ???

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Bournemouth Boxing day 1971, what a great game and atmosphere, retaking of the North Stand. Fisrt time i had seen a silk scarf being worn. Bournemouth team bus smashed (cost 20k).
Chester 1965 my first game, Wisbech and Southend great memories down on the chicken run just along from the corner flag at the North east corner.

Missed chelsea at home, gutted didn't get a ticket.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Bournemouth 71 was when we won 2-0 if memory serves me right. Mcdougall and Boyer up front for them although I can't really remember if they were both playing that day. They were a prolithic partnership and the Bournemouth fans were in the north stand. I can remember a couple of people being led out by the old north east corner transfer booth (come on kids ask) with nasty head wounds. A big crowd that day because Bournemouth really were our biggest rivals in those days along with Luton. Was that the year Macdougal got 9 in one game against Margate in the cup ?

Prolithic - is that before or after the Neolithic?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Northampton 1963 Lost 0-5 was my worst defeat until Palace in 2002. Was also at Chester 4-4 (Barry Rees scored) Wisbech, Southend (it was actually 19 in 3 games because we lost to QPR in between) Mansfield 6-4 (think we scored 5 of them before half time) and Chelsea (queued all night for that one) Have you chosen these because of the high scores ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't really remember that much of Alan Boorn that season.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 410

el punal

Mansfield (Jan.1966) - my second game watching the Albion. Wow! What a match, we were 5-2 up at half-time and in the end won 6-4. And I thought that every game would be like that - how wrong I was!

Chelsea (Feb.1967) - Probably Albion's biggest match of the 1960s. We had to beat Aldershot in the FA Cup 3rd round replay to enable us to play Chelsea in the 4th round. Knowing this, a crowd of 29,000 turned up at the Goldstone to see us win 3-1. The Chelsea tie was going to be all-ticket, unusual in those days, and were sold at an Albion reserve game against Notts County - the attendance for that was over 22,000!

The big day arrived and I remember getting into the East terrace a good two hours before kick-off. I also bought a pirate match day programme outside Hove station. A strange point in those days was that BOTH teams had to change their strip if there was a colour clash, which obviously there was as both teams played in blue. Albion played in red shirts with white sleeves (a la Arsenal), Chelsea played in white shirts and blue shorts.

So the match started in front of 35,000, the Goldstone was absolutely rammed. Chelsea went ahead after 5 minutes with a Bobby Tambling goal and we equalised soon after (I think) with Dave Turner slotting home. Chelsea's John Boyle got sent off which now would have been called violent conduct. The match ended 1-1. The replay at Stamford Bridge drew in more than 54,000 fans but the Albion lost 0-4. The magic of the cup!

Bournemouth (Boxing Day 1971) - me and my mate were driving back from a party in Bognor and passed all the Bournemouth supporters coaches on the A27. They certainly knew who we supported as each coach load got a volley of V signs as we passed.

Onto the game itself. A great atmosphere, loads of aggro all over the place. Bournemouth were the media darlings with Ted MacDougall and Phil Boyer up front but they were completely subdued by a very competent Albion team, who ran out winners 2-0. A massive crowd was at that game - 30,000 plus.

In the end it was the Albion that got promoted in May, with Villa, and Bournemouth who were favourites choked and lost out.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Northampton 1963 Lost 0-5 was my worst defeat until Palace in 2002. Was also at Chester 4-4 (Barry Rees scored) Wisbech, Southend (it was actually 19 in 3 games because we lost to QPR in between) Mansfield 6-4 (think we scored 5 of them before half time) and Chelsea (queued all night for that one) Have you chosen these because of the high scores ?

in the main yes,figured people were more likely to remember such games

glad you remembered Northampton,they were champions that year and I think they visited the Goldstone late on in the season,just wondered how good they really were (was)

it must of been one of the biggest defeats at the old place,Bristol Rovers apart

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I think the first game was the Mansfield game for me but the one I remember most is the Bournemouth game , parked at the old railway yard and then queued for a very long time only just getting in . Couldn't see a lot so my Dad got us up on the old concrete toilets in the southwest corner , great view :) . Ted McDougall was awesome in those days and I was excited about seeing him .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here