Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Obika - pmsl

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29342036

But the London-born forward said he worked hard to improve his game prior to returning to the County Ground.

"I did a lot of stuff, mentally. I watched a lot of clips of myself and of other strikers - like Didier Drogba, Thierry Henry and Christian Benteke - to get information from their play and it's definitely helped.
I particularly like how he talks about "other strikers", as if they are his peers. :lolol::lolol:

That said, although he is clearly nowhere near good enough for the Championship, you have to take your hat off to him for looking like he might do the business in league one - because lets face it, he didn't look good enough for that league either.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
problem with people like Obika who seem to do the rounds with loans, is different clubs play different football, so there is always a bedding in period loans dont always have, im not saying we didnt play to his strengths, because he didnt look that great, however, he may now of found a club who does play to his strengths, had a decent pre season to settle in, and is happy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair, he has scored 5 in 6 recently....

Hence my final sentence. And to be even more fair, he had a better scoring record with us than Billy Paynter, who apparently DID have a certain level of Championship pedigree.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Hence my final sentence. And to be even more fair, he had a better scoring record with us than Billy Paynter, who apparently DID have a certain level of Championship pedigree.

...than B***y P***t*r

No expletives on this site please Simster :)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Bit mean to be fair. I think he should be looking at players that are better than him to improve his own ability.

In fact, it's something out own strikers should be doing if they're not already...

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I personally cannot understand why any Brighton fan would be willing to comment on how he played for us, as he was only a bit-part sub for an Oscar Garcia designed team that consisted of two defensive midfielders, one winger and a general unwillingness to take a shot on target.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
problem with people like Obika who seem to do the rounds with loans, is different clubs play different football, so there is always a bedding in period loans dont always have, im not saying we didnt play to his strengths, because he didnt look that great, however, he may now of found a club who does play to his strengths, had a decent pre season to settle in, and is happy

Yes, absolutely this. Plus, how do we know he isn't good enough for the Championship?, we barely gave him a chance to play. If memory serves me right he only started one, maybe two games for us, with his other appearances being mere cameos from the bench. No player will shine for any team unless he is given a run of games to prove himself, and sadly Jon Obika didn't get that opportunity with us.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
We do have a good record though of working out whether strikers are good enough for the championship though. Murray and Wood spring to mind.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You know what'll happen. He'll score twenty+ for Swindon this season & some Championship side will make a multi million pound bid for him in the summer.

It still staggers me that he was twenty four before he was let go by Spurs. Twenty four! I can't fathom that he must have been on their books for ten years or so before they finally realised he probably wasn't going to be a Premier League striker.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Bit mean to be fair. I think he should be looking at players that are better than him to improve his own ability.

In fact, it's something out own strikers should be doing if they're not already...

Exactly, he isn't going to say 'Well, I've been down the park wactching Gary from Tekkers Lovakia FC. He has some skills and is also a great butcher'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know what'll happen. He'll score twenty+ for Swindon this season & some Championship side will make a multi million pound bid for him in the summer.

It still staggers me that he was twenty four before he was let go by Spurs. Twenty four! I can't fathom that he must have been on their books for ten years or so before they finally realised he probably wasn't going to be a Premier League striker.
Did he get a testimonial?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Spendid find [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] I love the idea that Obika watched himself on the Tellybox, then Drogba, Henry and Benteke. If I was him, I'd have thought 'Jesus christ, I'm shite at this football lark compared with them' before applying for a job on the checkouts in Tesco or driving a milk float (and would then proceed to deliver the milk to the wrong house, naturally).

The fact he said it improved his game must mean he has absolutely zero self awareness. Perhaps that's best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here