Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could revisit one game from the goldstone era which would it be?

2 - 0 F.A. Cup against Liverpool Feb '84 chilly but bright Sunday afternoon, game was also televised I believe. Corrigan played a blinder, Ryan and Connor scored very similar goals each within minutes of each othe early in the second half and the Liverpool forward line had " ...couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo" sort of afternoon. I remember a Liverpool short corner which went completely wrong with it being passed to fresh air.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
2 - 0 F.A. Cup against Liverpool Feb '84 chilly but bright Sunday afternoon, game was also televised I believe. Corrigan played a blinder, Ryan and Connor scored very similar goals each within minutes of each othe early in the second half and the Liverpool forward line had " ...couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo" sort of afternoon. I remember a Liverpool short corner which went completely wrong with it being passed to fresh air.

I can confirm the game was live on TV. I Jumped for joy when we went two nil up but unfortunately landed on one of my Subbuteo goal nets....needless to say the crossbar didn't survive the full weight of a 9 year old boy.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Off the top of my head the playoff win against Ipswich when Wendy scored that classic free kick where the ball got stuck in the post loop.... Also, any of the games that I saw featuring the mercurial Sergei Gotsmanov, there were so few and he was so good.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
MINE WOULD BE THE 2-0 AGAINST PALACE 75/76 SEASON SAMMY MORGAN TWO GOALS 33,300 CROWD, PALACE IN THE SOUTH,SMOKE BOMBS INCLUDED,SHAME I HAD THE FLU THAT NIGHT SO ALTHOUGH THERE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT ALL AGAIN FEELING 100% :moo:

It was the one I missed I was in plaster after breaking my leg playing for Scaynes Hill against Plumton in Mid Sussex league the ref didn't even blow for the foul but what pissed me off we were winning and when I went off with Fifteen minutes to go
We lost 2-1 the end of my football career. Also Scaynes Hill got relegated and Plumpton won the league.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Another one for Liverpool 84

what an incredible game......remember vividly being underage yet totally twatted....not bad going for a sunday. North stand frenzy when the second goal went in is the stuff of legends

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Off the top of my head the playoff win against Ipswich when Wendy scored that classic free kick where the ball got stuck in the post loop.... Also, any of the games that I saw featuring the mercurial Sergei Gotsmanov, there were so few and he was so good.

That one. I missed it as I was in France being a godfather at a christening.

If you're want a game I was actually at, it would be the Walsall game - an amazing night. Although could it be a bit drier, I was soaked afterwards

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Sheffield Wednesday game May 1977 to clinch promotion to Div 2 (Championship for the young 'uns).

Bedlam in front of 33,000 ish.

Yup, remember being brave enough to run on the pitch and grabbing Nobby Horton. Then the players went into the Director's Box and chucked out their shirts. Never got one. :(

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Even though we lost the game, for me I think it has to be Southampton in the FA Cup quarter final in '85? 86? It was the first time I experienced a 'full house' at the Goldstone, and having just missed out on the FA Cup run in '83, I was really swept up in the occasion, pity we didn't even score.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'd choose the 7-0 against Walsall. Never seen anything like it since.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
3-1 win home to Spurs in 1978, the Paul Clark wonder goal (60 yard run and slotted home, which for The Tank to even run that far without a rest was itself a miracle).

Spurs fans came on the pitch trying to large, but we stuffed them.

Glorious. Jumpers for goalposts............

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a slightly younger old 'un it would have to be Bristol Rovers in 1988 to win promotion from division 3. 19000 in the ground and some fairly lively scenes, superb atmosphere from start to finish. We needed to win to go up and win we did 2-1. Nelson and Bremner had been superb all season (despite the latters penchant for falling over) and they didn't let us down. Nearly got crushed going on the pitch afterwards but then the players reappeared in the directors box and the west side of the pitch was filled with everyone going bonkers. This was when you could record VHS videos off the telly and I taped the Meridian match report that included the goals, the surges, the on pitch celebrations and the players in the bath with cans of lager singing "beer, beer we want more beer".

Ipswich and Millwall at home in the playoff season 1991 a close second. The latter was scary but Clive Walker took Millwall to bits.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As a slightly younger old 'un it would have to be Bristol Rovers in 1988 to win promotion from division 3. 19000 in the ground and some fairly lively scenes, superb atmosphere from start to finish. We needed to win to go up and win we did 2-1. Nelson and Bremner had been superb all season (despite the latters penchant for falling over) and they didn't let us down. Nearly got crushed going on the pitch afterwards but then the players reappeared in the directors box and the west side of the pitch was filled with everyone going bonkers. This was when you could record VHS videos off the telly and I taped the Meridian match report that included the goals, the surges, the on pitch celebrations and the players in the bath with cans of lager singing "beer, beer we want more beer".

I think that was my first game. It's certainly the first I remember.

I've always had a soft spot for Steve Gritt's first game in charge Hull 3-0. Never seen a crowd change their mind so quickly. He came out to a chorus of boos and was cheered from the pitch.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

3-1 win home to Spurs in 1978, the Paul Clark wonder goal (60 yard run and slotted home, which for The Tank to even run that far without a rest was itself a miracle).

Spurs fans came on the pitch trying to large, but we stuffed them.

Glorious. Jumpers for goalposts............

I would go back to this one..I was 9 at the time sitting in the relative safety of the West Stand watching the scenes in the North Stand. Having been chased back into the West Stand at the end of the game these were my abiding memories of the day. I only recently realised that we had actually won the game! In my mind we had lost it 2-1 - think that was the West Ham score that season instead! Have no memory of the game but bizarrely seem to remember the Spurs fans had a USA Flag in the away section...would love to see the game and the goals again!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tempted to go for Aston Villa 1972 (that Willie Irvine goal), but think I'll settle for Torquay United later that season in the promotion run-up. 1-0 down at the Goldstone with 10 minutes to go, and we ran out 3-1 winners. Fabulous night!

I'd hitch-hiked down from Liverpool for the match (and hitched back overnight after it in time for lectures next morning!) and the police were having trouble with skinheads at the time, so 'bovver boots' were banned from the ground. Extremely stupid policeman at the south east corner of the ground just thought all boots were boots, and couldn't distinguish between skinhead bovver boots and ordinary elastic sided ones (Chelsea boots, I think they were), so I had to nip round to the SW corner where the police weren't so stupid!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here