Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our coverage on BBC

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The League Cup Show followed the same format that the Football League Show has been following where our games are concerned. Play our highlights at the end of a batch of games, one quick joke or disparaging remark from Bhasin and move on to discuss the other games with the pundit. Tonight he mentioned that we are usually crap in the League Cup, on Saturday it was 'Worrying for Brighton as it's their fifth blank in eight games' (Actually it was our fourth, but if you are going to make one remark about a team why worry about it being right).

I have seen most of the BBC shows so far this season and the only discussion of us with a pundit I have seen has been over Ince's goal against Swindon. Putting aside my obvious bias, I wouldn't have expected a lot of attention. Tonight there were Premier League teams to discuss, so we were bound to get bottom billing. In the league I would expect that their focus would be where it is always at the beginning of the season i.e. relegated teams, promoted teams and Leeds, always Leeds. Our form has not pushed for attention. However for a team that has had the biggest crowds in the division, a new high profile manager who was recently managing in the Champions League and that has made the play offs for the last two years to warrant absolutely no interest at all seems surprising. I am not saying that we should have expected extended highlights. I am saying that I haven't heard the changes at the club and how we might fare raised at all with any pundit on any of their shows. I am used to us being completely ignored by the Reading and Palace obsessed Late Kick Off shows, but if you consider that this programme generally asks for brief comment about half a dozen Championship clubs each week, nothing at all over six weeks is starting to look like deliberate omission.

I don't know how many of you picked up on the rather sneering piece that was done last season when they finished a show with footage of our home dressing room and made a pathetic dig about how messy it would have been had we lost, but ever since that point, I have had a growing feeling that someone in the production company does not like Brighton. Is this the usual user bias of a paranoid football fan or does anyone think there is anything in this?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
re attendances we are laying 4th in the home table currently.

I rarely watch the shows in question but why don't you raise your valid points with the BBC Sports editor?

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Same is true with BBC South Today. Virtually never mentioned - not even when they are running through the fixtures for the weekend. If we are not in the 'south' region where the hell are we!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Same is true with BBC South Today. Virtually never mentioned - not even when they are running through the fixtures for the weekend. If we are not in the 'south' region where the hell are we!
South east. BBC has loads of coverage on there, guess you are in........ssshhhhh.......West Sussex?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It might change yet, given the BBC announced Dan Roan as new sports editor yesterday. Hopefully his first job is to get rid of that utter cockwomble that is Robbie bloody Savage

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's was/is and always will be... I've long suspected that Mark Chapman had a focussed dislike for the Albion, incidentally I return his distain, awful presenter, awful journalist... Since his 'mate' Gus got removed from his role live on TV, ahem, it's only progressed. When we do get credit, it's almost like they're apologising for doing it... yep something is not quite right…. Hmmmmmm.

The K Dogg.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We ARE usually crap in the League cup, and it IS worrying if your strikers aren't scoring. Last night's game was, to the neutral, one of the least attractive games of the round. And in the league, we haven't done much of note yet this season.

What is it you expect of the BBC? Full extended highlights of a game against a fourth division side that we won comfortably, and a weekly tribute on the FL Show?

All three of our League Cup ties have been entirely unattractive for the TV producers. I'm genuinely surprised if somebody can't see that.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There has been a change on South today this season. Last two seasons when challenged about lack of BHA coverage on programmes from the Rowridge transmitter on the Isle of Wight, the reply was along the lines of........There will not be coverage of Brighton in the South Today area.
This year whoever made the decision either changed their mind or got a new job, paving the way for a more Brighton friendly person making coverage decisions, it's improved a lot.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'm certainly not disputing that last nights encounter was a nothing match in a now largely irrelevant comp, and that as such the likelihood of any coverage was pretty much nil. That would be the case for any similar match, and quite right too. However in the grander scheme of things I still feel we're neglected somewhat by the beeb. I used to think it was a conscious avoidance of an accusation relating to 'southern bias', but now I'm more convinced it's part of a culture of who is mates with whom especially pertaining to events aired live on air a few seasons back. I'm sure there was much sympathy and back slapping going on, a few beers and a determination to dare I say; black ball the Albion.

I'm probably wrong, or am I?!? wahhahaha hahahh hahahhh haahh ahha hahh ha ah ahhh ahhhaaaah haa etc.

I put the 'special' K in 'osh

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We ARE usually crap in the League cup, and it IS worrying if your strikers aren't scoring. Last night's game was, to the neutral, one of the least attractive games of the round. And in the league, we haven't done much of note yet this season.

What is it you expect of the BBC? Full extended highlights of a game against a fourth division side that we won comfortably, and a weekly tribute on the FL Show?

All three of our League Cup ties have been entirely unattractive for the TV producers. I'm genuinely surprised if somebody can't see that.

Fair points about our current unattractiveness to neutrals, but I thought I had been clear that I am not expecting a lot. This is why I would not write to the BBC. However you try the state the point, its always going to be read as 'partizan fan wants coverage of his team.'

Alll I am saying is that, at some point over the last six weeks, I am surprised that Manish has not turned to Claridge and said something along the lines of 'Do you think its going to be hard for Hyppia to repeat the success Brighton have had?' or 'There are big changes at Brighton this year aren't there Steve?' giving Claridge to mumble his usual stuff about it being a hard league and budgets dictating your likely finish. If something like this has happened, I've missed it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair points about our current unattractiveness to neutrals, but I thought I had been clear that I am not expecting a lot. This is why I would not write to the BBC. However you try the state the point, its always going to be read as 'partizan fan wants coverage of his team.'

Alll I am saying is that, at some point over the last six weeks, I am surprised that Manish has not turned to Claridge and said something along the lines of 'Do you think its going to be hard for Hyppia to repeat the success Brighton have had?' or 'There are big changes at Brighton this year aren't there Steve?' giving Claridge to mumble his usual stuff about it being a hard league and budgets dictating your likely finish. If something like this has happened, I've missed it.

It's all about programme times though. They have an hour or so (?) to cover 72 teams on the FL Show.

I'd hate to be in Manish Bhasin's shoes. Every week on Twitter he gets bombarded with "You never give [Charlton/ Rotherham/ Swindon/ Ipswich/ Bury/ York/ every league team except Leeds] any coverage, you hate us, blah blah".

Also helps that I don't watch the FLS when we lose so I've (happily) missed a couple recently :D

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
re attendances we are laying 4th in the home table currently.

I rarely watch the shows in question but why don't you raise your valid points with the BBC Sports editor?

Not that it matters that much but surprised Derby's average has gone up by 3,000! Forrest will drop off when they lose a few (starting this weekend of course....)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not that it matters that much but surprised Derby's average has gone up by 3,000! Forrest will drop off when they lose a few (starting this weekend of course....)

4,000 additional STH, amazing what a few months of positivity will do! Not that it's a big deal but I expect our average end up at 28-29k, alot more than last season, it really is a reflection of the style of play and of course winning a bit more often.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Well they'd have started last season with no expectations under Clough so crowds would have been static. They ended it missing promotion by a whisker so it stands to reason that their crowds now will be akin to those they finished last season with.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It's all about programme times though. They have an hour or so (?) to cover 72 teams on the FL Show.

I'd hate to be in Manish Bhasin's shoes. Every week on Twitter he gets bombarded with "You never give [Charlton/ Rotherham/ Swindon/ Ipswich/ Bury/ York/ every league team except Leeds] any coverage, you hate us, blah blah".

Also helps that I don't watch the FLS when we lose so I've (happily) missed a couple recently :D

I appreciate this and think its ridiculous that anyone should hound the presenter, but actually the format of the show is generally 45 minutes on the Championship and a rush through everything else. This gives enough time to ask one question in six weeks.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
4,000 additional STH, amazing what a few months of positivity will do! Not that it's a big deal but I expect our average end up at 28-29k, alot more than last season, it really is a reflection of the style of play and of course winning a bit more often.

We won't get that high without a re-think of where to put the away fans. The South stand has been empty all season so far and the East Lower block nearest them is also very sparse. We should be pushing the away fans into a corner and leaving a big chunk of the south for STH rather than matchday sales.

To be as close to capacity as you suggest we'd need to be filling the home parts of the South every game and that isn't happening at all this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here