Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from Burton

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
A competent performance without being spectacular.

That said despite two scalps already in this competition Burton were poor.

Thought Paddy McCourt was excellent tonight. Always looking to beat his man and make a positive forward pass. Was very impressed.

A word on CMS. Not sure if it was just me but he cut a frustrated figure out there tonight. As always fantastic work rate but he just couldn't seem to get into the game. Credited with the goal of course however it did look like an OG from where I was sat.

Despite recent frailties we looked solid at the back. I suppose the real test will come this Saturday at the City Ground.

A final word on Chris O'Grady. He's a trier and I do like a trier. But, well, how can I put this....he's turd

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Just got back myself. Hard to disagree with any of your points really. CMS just isn't the player that we all wish he was, COG tries hard too but he was never going to score tonight.

Looked solid enough with a good performance from Dunk and some good saves from Stockdale. McCourt was great - love how he thinks outside the box when on the ball.

Still wish KLL played out wide all the time.

Fans fantastic.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just got back myself. Hard to disagree with any of your points really. CMS just isn't the player that we all wish he was, COG tries hard too but he was never going to score tonight.

Looked solid enough with a good performance from Dunk and some good saves from Stockdale. McCourt was great - love how he thinks outside the box when on the ball.

Still wish KLL played out wide all the time.

Fans fantastic.

Fair assessment of the evening :thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
CMS would have been cut loose a long time ago if we never had such a big investment in him. He's just not a decent Championship striker. He will get you the odd goal here and there and maybe even score in successive matches but he never has or will be a 20+ a season striker in this division.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Cms didn't celebrate his goal. Sadly he struggled again tonight to get into the game. Poor first touch and low awareness, I hope he improves but I think it's pretty clear he is not up to it.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Just got back myself.
Solid performance against opposition who never really looked like scoring a goal.
Stockdale, blimey! Great at catching crosses and a couple of good reaction saves. Not certain whether I saw him blow a kiss or pretend to spit after a comment was made by someone in the away terrace.
Hughes was solid and steady, nothing more needed.
Dunk got a knock early in the first half, brushed it off and gave a great composed performance through the whole game. He must surely, unfortunately, be subject to some scouting from Premier league teams.
Inigo Calderon, worked hard in the top half of the pitch and the Burton player made a meal of the challenge that resulted in an undeserved red card.
Chicksen looked good against this opposition
Paddy (Catweazle) McCourt knows how to play this game and was pinging the ball all over the pitch and knows when and how to take people on (and beat them)
Rohan Ince had a steady game but seemed tethered to the centre circle especially in the second half. I think he plays far too defensive and his lack of support in the final third blunts our attack somewhat.
KLL looked up for it and too tricky and pacey for the Burton team. Didn't run into trouble and throw himself to the ground even once.
Gardner? Inconspicuous. Not certain whether that's good or bad.
CMS scampered about as usual. Never looked like getting much for his efforts. Had the chance in the second half to swing his left foot through the ball but decided to turn onto his right when he found himself unmarked, pretty much on the penalty spot. Lacking in confidence. "His" scruffy goal came off a Burton player before counting but it was at least on target. Ran around a lot (again.)
COG has no real pace or guile. A target man but best suited to drawing defenders out to allow others to come forward. But boy does he try hard. He was puffing heavily with 30 minutes of the second half still to go but just carried on making himself available. Maybe a cleverer player than CMS would be better matched with him.
Toko and Colunga were both pretty unadventurous when they came on. As fresh legs with less than 20 minutes left in the game they should've made much better of their opportunity but neither looked like they would make anything happen.

Overall a good performance and a great result. Defence solid, midfield did enough but were found missing a couple of times. The team came out for the second half knowing they had won the tie and eased off.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Cms did not look a happy bunny tonight , even aftet scoring he didnt really celebrate , at the end of the game he looked even less unimpressed with himself , or perhaps he just didnt like what i was wearing .

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting comments. I was not there obviously but WA was quite impressed with CoG second half and Gardner first half. He was not impressed by CMS. Main problem he reiterated again was the inability to keep the ball in the final third, resulting in our full backs being caught out of position which would have been punished against a better team. Perhaps Sami needs to look at advancing only one full back at a time? Anyway, job done. Onwards to Forest...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I disagree about COG; I thought he played quite well, particularly in the second half. Did some tidy hold up play trying to bring CMS into it.

Burton showed a glimpse of what they were capable of for 15 mins in the second half, but apart from that we were cruising.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Cms did not look a happy bunny tonight , even aftet scoring he didnt really celebrate , at the end of the game he looked even less unimpressed with himself , or perhaps he just didnt like what i was wearing .

Not the faux leather jock strap again, no wonder he looked miserable:ffsparr:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Tough to really decide on how good we performed as it was ridiculously comfortable most of the game and I was pretty disappointed with burton considering their previous two wins and a home tie- we never needed to get out of 3rd.

Saying that impressed with paddy,looked really sharp and always going for forward passes and looking to run at players. COG was better second half but just never looks like scoring.
Want to see the calde tackle again- looked pretty high from the away end and a silly challenge so late in the game.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Interesting comments. I was not there obviously but WA was quite impressed with CoG second half and Gardner first half. He was not impressed by CMS. Main problem he reiterated again was the inability to keep the ball in the final third, resulting in our full backs being caught out of position which would have been punished against a better team. Perhaps Sami needs to look at advancing only one full back at a time? Anyway, job done. Onwards to Forest...

Interesting to hear of CMS, is it confidence or does he know he is going in January. If ever I have seen a players abilities and strengths so wasted it is with him. I listened to Kevin Phillips, now the striking coach at Leicester, where he stressed that he wants his forwards to train and repeat touching the ball only once in the box as that's all the time they will have. His rationale was that a high percentage of world cup goals were scored in this way. This is CMS s strength, when has he become a holding player in the final third, in our game he is always receiving the ball with a man at his back. I sometimes wonder how highly paid managers look at individuals. KLL in the centre?? Crofts to right back for half a game??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stockdale, blimey! Great at catching crosses and a couple of good reaction saves. Not certain whether I saw him blow a kiss or pretend to spit after a comment was made by someone in the away terrace.

He blew a kiss to a good friend of mine.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I disagree about COG; I thought he played quite well, particularly in the second half. Did some tidy hold up play trying to bring CMS into it.

Burton showed a glimpse of what they were capable of for 15 mins in the second half, but apart from that we were cruising.

Seconded. Unfortunately it seems a large minority of our supporters have already made their minds up about him and he's already up there for scapegoat status.

bring_zamora_home

Mar 16, 2011
Mmmm a solid proformance from the defence for once????? Is that because Greer wasn't playing hence no missed headers or getting done for pace all the time and generally being out of position.?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mmmm a solid proformance from the defence for once????? Is that because Greer wasn't playing hence no missed headers or getting done for pace all the time and generally being out of position.?

Poor argument given that Greer has been easily the most consistent central defender this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here