Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lectern (formerly Royal Hussar) - 'Pub Business To Let' board outside

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
When it was the Hussar, it was a proper local, where tradespeople and residents from the area would congregate, drink and make merry. Some bright spark renamed it The Lectern and only allowed people in with NUS cards, ostracising 98% of the (former) regulars :ohmy:

Cue the students from Brighton Uni using it, but come mid-June, when the uni broke up, no punters...

The way the pub business is going, it wouldn't surprise me if is demolished and flats built on the site ???

Shame really, as I (almost) remember England getting done there by Argentina in St Etienne at France '98, among other events

Ho hum

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Didn't they used to have strippers in the Royal Hussar years ago?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
It was a dump when it was the Hussar and it was a shithole when it was a student pub.

No great loss IMO.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
When it was the Hussar, it was a proper local, where tradespeople and residents from the area would congregate, drink and make merry. Some bright spark renamed it The Lectern and only allowed people in with NUS cards, ostracising 98% of the (former) regulars :ohmy:

Cue the students from Brighton Uni using it, but come mid-June, when the uni broke up, no punters...

The way the pub business is going, it wouldn't surprise me if is demolished and flats built on the site ???

Shame really, as I (almost) remember England getting done there by Argentina in St Etienne at France '98, among other events

Ho hum

Was my local from when i was 16 to about 25, and visited a few times when i came back to Brighton last month. Atmosphere is gone, wouldn't surprise me at all if it's bought by a PubCo with some university drop out managing it. The prices will be raised to £4.60 a pint and then turned into flats when no-one goes in. Will be sad to see it go.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
The Ship, next door, Sunday lunchtime, so someone told me :whistle:

In the late 1980's I worked in The Golf Shop ( now Costcutters ) in between The Hussar and The Ship, I was in my late teens and had many a good drinking session in both pubs. Strip at The Ship was legendary and what those girls could do with a whip, a lit cigarette and a young lads backside was quite entertaining.:lolol:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I've drunk in there since we moved to the Amex as it was quite convenient for me with where I used to live. Incredibly poorly managed with the highlight being them running out of every single draught product. Owing to a change of circumstances I now use the Beaufort on queens park road. Ideal seeing how close it is to the 23 bus route or the park and ride at the racehill. Plus they have ale on for 3.10.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Always thought that place could be an utter goldmine if run properly (speaking as an ex publican). Very close to the uni's, good links to the Amex, and a huge residential area nearby. I'd be jizzing in my pants if someone handed me that place!!!!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I used to drink in there many years ago when it was the royal hussar. Good pub then. Also used to be the Steam Inn a few doors down, used to have live bands there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here