Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there people in your office who...

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Get away with absolutely anything....literally all their mistakes however HUGE either go completely unnoticed by your boss, swept under the carpet or laughed off. Talk to people like shit, if they can be bothered at all....but this is merely seen as 'their quirky little way'.

They are also the ones that get paid more than you, probably & never get any reprimand.....

....and then manage to get a promotion.

I'm not bitter, I keep coming up against this. It's just an observation.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sadly all too true of modern life and people being promoted on 'competences' rather than ability. Once you get a decent salary behind you then it rolls on to your next job as people pay you more to get the 'best one'. Especially true in public service and look at Rotherham where well paid officials took the money but not the responsibility.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Get away with absolutely anything....literally all their mistakes however HUGE either go completely unnoticed by your boss, swept under the carpet or laughed off. Talk to people like shit, if they can be bothered at all....but this is merely seen as 'their quirky little way'.

They are also the ones that get paid more than you, probably & never get any reprimand.....

These days it seems these are the qualities needed to GET a promotion.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In every job I've had, I have noticed that some people just know how the game is played.
They enjoy far more success and support from management than their input/abilities should allow them.

I don't understand how they achieve this. I am unable to play the game, I don't even understand why anyone would want to.
However, I am good at my job andbelieve I am appreciated by most people I work with.
I would far rather be in this position, than promoted beyond my abilities and know most of my colleagues despise me.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
it happens in all walks of life.
just stick your foot out and trip them up
especially when they have a tray of coffee for the bosses

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I am nice to my boss, they are nice to me. I am nice to my assistant, they are nice to me. My immediate situation is all nice.

However, in the company I work in, there's all to much of what I describe happening around me. People who are just little weasels who talk absolute bollocks constantly, in the expense of those who actually put a good days work in, consistently for no reward.

el punal

Back in the 1980s I worked for an international drinks company. Within that my position was promotions manager and one of my tasks was to lead a team in promoting our company product to British holidaymakers in Spain. The team consisted of five guys and four girls, all mature and professional and dedicated to doing their best in a very much fun loving environment.

Prior to leaving the UK we held a team briefing to cover all issues which included being polite and respectful to our Spanish hosts. All fine and dandy, until my immediate boss - an odious little creep, took it upon himself to instruct the girls that they would have to sleep with any influential contacts in order to further the company aims.

I cannot begin to tell you the sheer contempt and disgust that the girls felt at this appalling "request". Suffice to say that we all resented his presence from there on in - but he got away with it. Had that happened now he would have been sacked on the spot and more.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Are they shagging the boss?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
wow!!

At the other end of the extreme, a little while ago I had to do one of those workplace courses about being discrimination. There was a topic discouraging discriminative banter and a quote which was something like 'get the girls to make themselves useful and make the tea.' Now, I personally have no problem with such banter, and give as good back, it creates a laugh and rapport, makes the day go quicker. However, banter like this has now been 'banned' and any such like can lead to disciplinary action...step too far??

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's a well known fact that when people do a good job they get promoted until they don't do a good job. This means that all organisations are full of people who aren't any good at the job they are doing..simples :lolol:

That's the 'Peter Principle"

every employee will rise or get promoted to his or her level of incompetence

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Yes, certainly (in a university). I hate them; they suffer no sanctions or reprimands. They are parasites.

What makes it even more infuriating is that because they are rude/incompetent/lazy, no-one asks them (or trusts them) to take on any tasks or responsibilities; so they have a cushy life, while those who are conscientious or 'professional' get asked to do more and more all the time.

As the saying goes, 'if you want something done, ask someone who is busy' :annoyed:

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
That's the 'Peter Principle"

every employee will rise or get promoted to his or her level of incompetence

That's it - you beat me to it!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills