Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling World Championships 2014 **spoilers allowed**

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sir Bradley Wiggins - what a ride!

Absolutely nails the time trial and adds World Champion to his list of achievements. Blows Tony Martin out of the water. Incredible.:clap::clap::clap:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Considering he's regarded as past it he's has another great year. 9th in Paris-Roubaox, a B Tour win (California), decent placing in Tour of Britain, and a World Champion.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Considering he's regarded as past it he's has another great year. 9th in Paris-Roubaox, a B Tour win (California), decent placing in Tour of Britain, and a World Champion.

Indeed. Tony Martin has been in great form this year, he's won the previous 3 TT titles, and for Brad to beat him by that much has to be regarded as one of the performances of his career. Rainbow jersey for next season - nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think calling Brad past it (not something I've heard) is stretching it, somewhat.

Although I certainly didn't expect him to be 'it' enough to beat Martin.
That said, as seasons go theirs couldn't be more contrasting, with it being very much advantage Wiggins, for this race.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think calling Brad past it (not something I've heard) is stretching it, somewhat.

Although I certainly didn't expect him to be 'it' enough to beat Martin.
That said, as seasons go theirs couldn't be more contrasting, with it being very much advantage Wiggins, for this race.

Martin doesn't really go for GC's though does he, so has been able to concentrate on TT's over the years. Rather than advantage Wiggins, more of a level playing field and a course with a few bumps that suited him down to the ground. Great to see Martin beaten to be honest - it was all getting a little predictable.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Martin doesn't really go for GC's though does he, so has been able to concentrate on TT's over the years. Rather than advantage Wiggins, more of a level playing field and a course with a few bumps that suited him down to the ground. Great to see Martin beaten to be honest - it was all getting a little predictable.

I agree with SB, definitely advantage Wiggins in terms of this seasons racing. Tony Martin has put a hell of a lot of work in in the last two GT's, whilst Brad has had a stroll in the park and perfect preparation in comparison. Tony Martin has paid the price for over racing this season IMHO.

Anyway, probably the most exciting thing to come out of this ITT is Cance's decision to sit it out in order to concentrate on the road race instead. Should make Sunday very interesting indeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This season it feels like every time I've turned on my TV, irrespective of whether it's been the final 5kms or half way up an Alp, Tony Martin has been burying himself for the team.

Brad has raced 30 (thirty) days all year.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All I'm saying is that there is always some reason you win a world title. I just think its slightly disingenuous to say that he's only lost because he over raced. Tony buried himself on a lot of the GT stages, but he was also imperious in all of the TT's - it didn't look like he was over raced when he won the TT at the Vuelta. When you win the world title TT (as he did in the last 3 seasons) it's seen as an advantage that he has his race legs and plenty of miles in them. When you lose, it's due to over racing. Two ways of looking at it. Brad was the same last year and Martin had hard GT's but still won the TT. Same as when Brad won the TT gold medal in 2012 - shoe was on the other foot there as Brad had about a week to recover from hard racing winning the Tour. Can't have it both ways.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Why are there no highlights ANYWHERE, or am I missing something? Who is showing the World Championships live? Looks like I am going to have to record it 'as live' each day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's fair enough.
But it's only natural to look at that result and say 'why did Martin lose', as opposed to 'Brad won because ...'.

The fact remains there's a massive discrepancy between their respective seasons.

Brad would have looked at that and TM racing like he'd never raced before, and thought this week 'it's now or never'.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That's fair enough.
But it's only natural to look at that result and say 'why did Martin lose', as opposed to 'Brad won because ...'.

The fact remains there's a massive discrepancy between their respective seasons.

Brad would have looked at that and TM racing like he'd never raced before, and thought this week 'it's now or never'.
I'm with bold a bit - if Brad hadn't won there would be people saying it's because he didn't do the vuelta.

Brad won because he matched Martin early on then it went up hill! Brad said he was maintaining 480w, which is what Martin is reported to put out. Brad is lighter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm with bold a bit - if Brad hadn't won there would be people saying it's because he didn't do the vuelta.

Brad won because he matched Martin early on then it went up hill! Brad said he was maintaining 480w, which is what Martin is reported to put out. Brad is lighter.
It's not just the Vuelta though, is it.
Martin has be riding like a loon since Le Tour.
He said himself he was tired after the TTT on Sunday "I am not a machine".

Brad had 3 targets this season, Roubaix, California and the Worlds, we all know how he likes a target.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Look, we've got a World Champion, and it's Wiggo. Who cares why Martin didn't win - can't we just raise a glass to Brad?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The reason wiggins won is because he was best on the day. What happened before this is irrelevant. If Martin had raced less he might have won, he might not; if wiggins had raced more he might not have won, but he did. Plus the winning margin is pretty significant IMO, certainly enough to suggest that wiggins won on his own merits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Look, we've got a World Champion, and it's Wiggo. Who cares why Martin didn't win - can't we just raise a glass to Brad?
Absolutely.

i left my last post then start making tomorrows pack lunches thinking 'hang on don't seem to be churlish, you forgot the praise'.

I did come to the conclusion it's now easy to be 'critical' of British cycling even in victory, due to the standard they have set, across the board.
Which in itself is a pretty fantastic position to be in.

As an aside I think Tony Martin has been my hero of the season.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sir Bradley Wiggins - what a ride!

Absolutely nails the time trial and adds World Champion to his list of achievements. Blows Tony Martin out of the water. Incredible.:clap::clap::clap:

This a million times over. What a career. Top man.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This as well. Not bad for a bad year. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here