Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone renewed their Road Tax this month?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

Just renewed now and not going to be issued with a disc. Going to be weird driving around without one.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have to renew by the end of the month. I thought no discs started next month and that everyone this month would get one ?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I have to renew by the end of the month. I thought no discs started next month and that everyone this month would get one ?

Same here, thought i'd be 'one of the last to have one on display' but no; i feel....barren..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Same here, thought i'd be 'one of the last to have one on display' but no; i feel....barren..

Whereas I will be one of the first to throw away that silly plastic disc that never stuck properly to your inside windscreen !:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22389

Your all right. I didn't read it properly. Anyone renewing after 1st October will NOT get a tax disc.
I thought I also heard somewhere that they are also going direct debit if you wish?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I actually received one of the very last 'discs'. Not a disc really, just a circle printed onto cheap A4 paper with no perforations around it, which is where it will stay for originality purposes.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I just ordered one for the start of this month. So, if I receive a paper disk to display, can I remove it from the car from October 1st, or do I have to keep it for the next 6/12 months?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I just ordered one for the start of this month. So, if I receive a paper disk to display, can I remove it from the car from October 1st, or do I have to keep it for the next 6/12 months?

As of 1st October there is no requirement for anyone to display.

Can I suggest everyone be aware that VED is no longer transferable. If you sell a vehicle, or buy one, and it is taxed then the tax does NOT get transferred with the vehicle. If you are the seller you need to reclaim any outstanding and if you are the buyer you need to purchase new VED from the day you purchase the vehicle for the entire month. So if you buy a vehicle on the 2nd last day of the month the seller can only reclaim the remaining months EXCLUDING the month you buy the vehicle (they can only reclaim full months) but you need to buy the full months VED.

A con of the highest order and one which HM Government have conspicuously not publicised.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Can I suggest everyone be aware that VED is no longer transferable. If you sell a vehicle, or buy one, and it is taxed then the tax does NOT get transferred with the vehicle. If you are the seller you need to reclaim any outstanding and if you are the buyer you need to purchase new VED from the day you purchase the vehicle for the entire month. So if you buy a vehicle on the 2nd last day of the month the seller can only reclaim the remaining months EXCLUDING the month you buy the vehicle (they can only reclaim full months) but you need to buy the full months VED.

A con of the highest order and one which HM Government have conspicuously not publicised.

So am I reading correctly that if I purchase a car on the 20th of the month I would need to pay a full 30 days tax, when I will only be using the car for 10 days of the month?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Nothing new there. If you didn't transfer the tax before it was done this way. Most commonly when buying second hand from a dealer, they always reclaimed the tax and you bought new.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So am I reading correctly that if I purchase a car on the 20th of the month I would need to pay a full 30 days tax, when I will only be using the car for 10 days of the month?

Correct but that's always been the case if you buy tax mid-month. The exception being if you buy a brand new car through a dealer as they can by part months.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can I suggest everyone be aware that VED is no longer transferable. ...

no con at all, in fact from my experience it will avoid complications on "deal day" with the seller not passing on the VED if you over looked this as part of the deal/price. i understand you now have a couple days grace or can backdate the new VED, which wasnt possible before. that said, they haven't communicated this well at all.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Are you sure of that. I purchased a brand new car on the 28th May this year and the tax runs out on the 30th April. Its always been like that as far as I know.

Positive. I purchased a brand new car last Feb - starting on the 18th and it was taxed until the end of Feb 2014.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

This is only the case from the 1st of October though yes? If you buy a car on the 30th September which is taxed until the following year, this is still applicable isnt it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Ebay gumtree etc still advertising cars for sale as having MOT till December Tax till Nov etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here