Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Managers, and lack of. What's wrong?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I was reading this article on the BBC website just now and it got me thinking - http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29337157

I agree with Roberts in as much that there should be more black managers, but I wonder just how many black managers apply for open positions. Of course nobody, regardless of ethnicity, should get to become a manager just to fulfil a quota but it does seem strange that there are so few black managers in the UK.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not enough interested in going into coaching to learn the ropes. is Jason Roberts taking his badges?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Its normally Paul Ince that brings up this subject - when trying to get another job in management.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I suspect that there aren’t many chairmen or fans that would care what colour the manager is. Maybe it would have been different 30 years ago and probably quite different even now on the continent. Are black ex-players getting their badges and then being denied managerial positions? If they are not taking their badges then surely this is the first thing that needs to be addressed.

There seems to be a lack on English/British managers, black or white, in the game at the moment.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
There seems to be a lack on English/British managers, black or white, in the game at the moment.

This. I'd rather give a person a job on their ability rather than their gender/ethnicity/sexuality. If someone is good at the job, they should get it.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
it's a tough line to not get into the realms of positive discrimination.It should all be on merit, not quota.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Nothing is wrong at all, this argument is complete bollocks, when I saw the headline I knew it would be Jason Roberts, If you're good enough for the job and you apply then you'll likely get the job, regardless of race

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why aren't there people moaning about the disproportionately high number of black players though? And very few Asians.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nothing is wrong at all, this argument is complete bollocks, when I saw the headline I knew it would be Jason Roberts, If you're good enough for the job and you apply then you'll likely get the job, regardless of race

I agree. I wouldn't have minded Chris Powell being our manager, seems a fairly level headed chap and would have benefited from being with us I think.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
They are perhaps simply not good enough. There is a certain type that can lead men, in this country the type of forceful personality, mindset and presence that works in football has often come from Scotland,.... is it just possible that the black personality traits are not suited to dressing room and training pitch management?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
They are perhaps simply not good enough. There is a certain type that can lead men, in this country the type of forceful personality, mindset and presence that works in football has often come from Scotland,.... is it just possible that the black personality traits are not suited to dressing room and training pitch management?

A genuine question. What on earth is a "black personality trait"? Is there any robust scientific or psychological evidence that shows systematic differences in personalities on racial or ethnic grounds? I'm a statistician by training, and I'm not aware that there's any genuine evidence on this at all. Most of the early 20th century research literature which claimed to show IQ differences by racial or ethnic groups has long been debunked, as far as I'm aware.
I'd be really interested to know what your statement is based on.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
This. I'd rather give a person a job on their ability rather than their gender/ethnicity/sexuality. If someone is good at the job, they should get it.

This. Annoys me Jason Roberts constantly plays the race card all of the time. Seems he is happy making a very nice living in the 'racism in football' industry rather than do his coaching badges. Plenty of black managers have had high profile managerial positions, Ruud Gullitt, John Barnes, Jean Tigana,Frank Rijkaard, Chris Hughton, Paul Ince. In fact Paul Ince has had numerous managerial positions and failed in most of them (with the exception of Macclesfield and MK Dons first time around).

Chairmen are (mostly) pragmatists and will usually appoint the guy who thinks will do the best job for the club regardless of colour, I can guarantee if there was a black manager carving out a reputation for himself in the championship at present (say one with a promotion on his managerial C.V.) he would be on the shortlist for a PL job should it become available.

No doubt the ridiculous 'Rooney rule' will soon be forced upon the English league clubs which to me is highly patronising to ethnic minority
managers as its a case of 'we dont think you are the right candidate for us but we are being forced to interview you.' Why should clubs be forced to interview a candidate just to keep the PC brigade happy? For example when Manchester United sacked Moyes it was 'made known' to the media very early on that LVG which the man they had identified to take over. Why should they go through the charade of interviewing a black candidate wasting both their time and the 'candidates?'

I'm for a meritocracy and I believe the best candidate should be appointed regardless of skin colour but spare us the race card if you are not successful and maybe look at your own short comings and try and address them rather hiding behind the colour of your skin.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just not good enough and they're in the minority population,nout to do with being black...The task is harder because of the foreign influx also.Time they realised this instead of calling owners racist in a way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here