Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Dustcart Drivers

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I lived in Burgess Hill for three years and the idiots down here could learn a lot from the mid sussex refuse guys, happy to Xmas tip them, however ever since I can remember our mob down here are utter clundge

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I just do not understand how they have been allowed to continue to hold this city to ransom since the dark ages of the 70's. In this instance it is the drivers, at other times it is the crews or both.

Just last year they agreed a new deal, but upon hearing that someone else is on the same deal they scream 'It's not fair, we want more than them!'. Utter toxxers.

I thought these services were contracted out to private companies (City clean?), if so just terminate the contract and employ a new partner who can employ people that actually want to work. Personally I would be happy to see refuse services only provided to those who cannot deal with it themselves, I can just pop my refuse in the car and drive to the tip. For the elderly and many others this is not possible, and we would still need the community bins to be emptied, but it would reduce the number of terminally selfish binmen that we currently have to tolerate.

Rant, rant, rant, blah, blah, blah! Xmas tip? Do some bloody work!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I lived in Burgess Hill for three years and the idiots down here could learn a lot from the mid sussex refuse guys, happy to Xmas tip them, however ever since I can remember our mob down here are utter clundge

You're right, no complaints here in the Hill. On time, no strikes and they're quite happy to take extra stuff if you leave it out.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Normally I'd find myself on the side of the workers in disputes such as this, but on this occasion they are just taking the p*ss. Going on strike because someone else is getting paid. Pitiful in my opinion. However the council are seen as an easy target by the workers so I guess they feel public opinion will be on their side, I think they may have misjudged that though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I drive HGV/LGV and I would be upset if a transit van driver was on the same wage as me, But on the other hand there is a HGV driver shortage, so the bin drivers could earn more driving in the private sector

They're unhappy that supervisors are paid as much as them and teaching assistants, and complained that there's more pressure on a man driving a truck slowly that someone who helps children (mostly the ones with issues or learning difficulties) learn.

If they can get more in the private sector why don't they move?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I just do not understand how they have been allowed to continue to hold this city to ransom since the dark ages of the 70's. In this instance it is the drivers, at other times it is the crews or both.

Just last year they agreed a new deal, but upon hearing that someone else is on the same deal they scream 'It's not fair, we want more than them!'. Utter toxxers.

I thought these services were contracted out to private companies (City clean?), if so just terminate the contract and employ a new partner who can employ people that actually want to work. Personally I would be happy to see refuse services only provided to those who cannot deal with it themselves, I can just pop my refuse in the car and drive to the tip. For the elderly and many others this is not possible, and we would still need the community bins to be emptied, but it would reduce the number of terminally selfish binmen that we currently have to tolerate.

Rant, rant, rant, blah, blah, blah! Xmas tip? Do some bloody work!

City Clean are not a private company - they are the 'brand' for the council run collection and cleaning services.

Personally I have some sympathy with the binmen. In pursuit of the utterly stupid 'single status' pay structure our authorities have screwed over some workers - in B&H it is the binmen.

Anybody with a brain cell would agree that a binman and a teaching assistant role are not similar in any way. Yet our utterly out of touch public sector policy makers lump those two roles together for grading, pay and allowances. The simple answer would be to have separate grading etc for separate roles.

As for the binmen - I wouldn't do that job for £19k basic and I'd bet a majority on here wouldn't. This dispute is that qualified dustcart drivers have been graded the same as street cleaners - they have a point. I'm in support of the current strike and it will mean my rubbish isn't collected this week and my recycling next week ( somehow they've managed to hit two of my collection dates in their three selected dates ). All I'll do is take my recycling to the point round the corner and hold on to my rubbish as we could now wait four weeks for a collection if necessary thanks to proper recycling and composting.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The dustmen who 'service' our street have got to be the most feckless, charmless, miserable bunch of unhelpful jobsworths ever.
Your experience may, of course, differ from mine. I'm just saying like it is.

Now, the blokes who do the recycling are quite the opposite.

franks brother

They're unhappy that supervisors are paid as much as them and teaching assistants, and complained that there's more pressure on a man driving a truck slowly that someone who helps children (mostly the ones with issues or learning difficulties) learn.

If they can get more in the private sector why don't they move?
You have to ask them that, but Bin driving is not the job I would what to do, driving around the congested streets of Brighton al day, the same as bus driving done it for 18months 20 years ago, nearly sent me ga ga:nono:

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I drive HGV/LGV and I would be upset if a transit van driver was on the same wage as me, But on the other hand there is a HGV driver shortage, so the bin drivers could earn more driving in the private sector
http://theloadstar.co.uk/fta-cpc-driver-shortage/

Believe me, that arguments a load of tosh, street cleaning drivers, who are also chargehands, around six employees, responsible for around fourty staff, working a shift system including weekends, plus other duties, earn a wage roughly comparable to refuse drivers.

The majority of refuse drivers working in Brighton wouldnt last a week in the private sector.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The situation is exacerbated by incompetent senior management and a local GMBU branch office that is hellbent on causing trouble.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
http://theloadstar.co.uk/fta-cpc-driver-shortage/
Yep...With the average age of hgv drivers at 56 a massive shortage starts right now with the CPC required by this month.Im middle management,but im now looking to get a class 2 job at the start of the year as fancy a change,had my class 2 for nearly 4 years now and delighted i did it for around the 2k mark,bargain :)

Fair few jobs round here offering 30k+ overtime and bonuses...Reckon by jan the amount of jobs will quadruple at least and the money will rise.I have been waiting for this to happen :)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As for the binmen - I wouldn't do that job for £19k basic

That £19k basic for a binman, what do the drivers get?

That £19k basic for a binman, what is the average yearly earnings including shift allowances, bonuses and overtime payments?

franks brother

Yep...With the average age of hgv drivers at 56 a massive shortage starts right now with the CPC required by this month.Im middle management,but im now looking to get a class 2 job at the start of the year as fancy a change,had my class 2 for nearly 4 years now and delighted i did it for around the 2k mark,bargain :)

Fair few jobs round here offering 30k+ overtime and bonuses...Reckon by jan the amount of jobs will quadruple at least and the money will rise.I have been waiting for this to happen :)
This time of year and up to Christmas is always a busy time I have had agencies who I have not heard from in years ringing me to other me work.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I believe in unions and the right to collectively bargain
However, I have a friend who works at the depot who says the union is taking the piss. Huge levels of sick, non compliance, terrible attitudes and they're all defended by the union.

I don't like low pay but can't abide people ripping off council tax payers many who are even worse paid.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Dustmen used to come into the garden, get the bin, empty it in over their shoulder and then put the bin back where they found it. Now you are lucky if they return the wheelie bin to the same street they picked it up from, leave bin unemptied if they are a bit too heavy for them or a bit over filled and they expect more money for it.

Couple of years ago they had a strike in Leeds where they striked for 5 weeks but only on a Thursday, course my bin collection date was a Thursday so I contacted the union leader and said currently the strike was only affecting around 16% of the city, so only 16% actually knew they were on strike and those 16% were getting more and more unsympathetic to the strikers as they felt victimised. So I suggested striking on different days so that more people would know about it and people would feel more sympathetic if they knew it was one missed day. The reply I got back was basically telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, everyone knew they were on strike and it was staying the same day every week. A typical Bob Crowe wannabe reply

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A dustman is doing his rounds as usual and spots that one house hasn't left out their rubbish, so being the good citizen he knocks on the door. A while later a flustered Chinese bloke with heavy accent answers.

Chinese bloke: "What you want?"

Dustman: "Your rubbish mate..."

Chinese bloke: "What?"

Dustman: "Where's your bin?"

Chinese bloke: "I just bin inside eating breakfast"

Dustman: "No mate, I mean where's your dustbin"

Chinese bloke "I tell you. I dust bin inside eating breakfast"

Dustman: "No mate. Where's your wheely bin?"

Chinese bloke: "Okay. I wheely bin having a w*nk".

Here all week. Tell your friends.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not similar, but are you saying that one is more skilful and demanding than the other?

No, I'm saying the two can't even be compared. You might as well try and compare jellyfish with pencils.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here