Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless people in Brighton & Hove

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
...are getting much more sophisticated these days...

I've noticed it this summer, but loads seem to be chalking the pavements with street art, and some even scrawl thoughtful & positive poems on the pavements. Gone are the days of just sitting in a doorway in your sleeping bag, begging. Not in our city anyway. Talented bunch, our street dwellers are. :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I was impressed by this until I caught one of them nicking the materials used to create his piece.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
...are getting much more sophisticated these days...

I've noticed it this summer, but loads seem to be chalking the pavements with street art, and some even scrawl thoughtful & positive poems on the pavements. Gone are the days of just sitting in a doorway in your sleeping bag, begging. Not in our city anyway. Talented bunch, our street dwellers are. :thumbsup:
No there shitting in them nowhere days, ask the shop keepers in Kensington Gardens!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
...Talented bunch, our street dwellers are. :thumbsup:

'Our' street dwellers? Very rare to hear a Brighton accent, mostly scousers, scots & sunderlanders. Brighton has a gravitational pull for all the down and outs; they tumble down through the country till they end up here. The government should recognise this and give the council more money to rehabilitate and take care of them.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
No there shitting in them nowhere days, ask the shop keepers in Kensington Gardens!
Even homeless people need to shit? I did like the chalk art. Now it's just too much.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
'Our' street dwellers? Very rare to hear a Brighton accent, mostly scousers, scots & sunderlanders. Brighton has a gravitational pull for all the down and outs; they tumble down through the country till they end up here. The government should recognise this and give the council more money to rehabilitate and take care of them.
This. Very rare to find one from here.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
The homelessness in the city does seem to be on the decrease, thankfully. Can remember when I was a kid you'd be innundated with hoardes of parafins grumbling "chaaaange" at you everywhere you turned. Not so much now.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I have great admiration for them. How on earth they manage to survive is amazing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They're just following the neoliberal mantra of being self-investing, customer-facing entrepreneurs. It's that or starvation.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I saw one on East Street today making Origami figures.

A lot of homeless people are ex servicemen unfortunately.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Never see a muslim homeless

Perhaps they have stronger family connections and a sense of community eh? The Koran says something about offering hospitality to other people in need, maybe that's something to do with it.

I realise that's not remotely the point you're trying to make, but, what the hell, I thought I'd try and make a positive contribution.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The homelessness in the city does seem to be on the decrease, thankfully. Can remember when I was a kid you'd be innundated with hoardes of parafins grumbling "chaaaange" at you everywhere you turned. Not so much now.

Do people call it the city in real life? I know no one who does.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I spent a morning at First Base, the Brighton homeless charity, a few weeks ago where they gave a presentation on the work they do. The stories of how people get into this situation is very varied. The intervention is designed to help people in the early stages of homelessness, the longer people are on the street the more it becomes dehumanising.
They do have a lot of success in helping people.
One thing they desperately want is towels so if anyone has any spare they need them.
http://www.bht.org.uk/services/first-base-day-centre/

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here