Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winter cyclists

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
This winter i am going to try and cycle everyday from Portslade to Brighton to work. My route takes me from my house north of Old Shoreham Rd
down to the seafront and then along the cycle path to Middle Street and from there up into central Brighton.
Any of you harden cyclist got any tips on how i can keep warm, dry and safe? And what I can expect cycling this route sometimes as early as 5.30/6am.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Buy some lights.

Put bike on train.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not a cycling fanatic, but I have done that ride many times.

On the many windy (south westerly) days, you will be virtually grinding to halt cycling home. So cycle home at least one road inland, for example Western Road/Church Road, and your journey time will be cut massively on those windy days .... with the usual care in looking out for bus and taxi drivers who seem to drive with no manners, signals and they can't stand any other road user.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not if i can help it! I want to do my bit for future generations and the planet!

Why are you not cycling to work now, how come you are waiting until this winter?

Some sort of Hi-Viz vest/ jacket and some lights would be a good idea.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Why are you not cycling to work now, how come you are waiting until this winter?

Some sort of Hi-Viz vest/ jacket and some lights would be a good idea.
I am cycling to work now just want advice for winter cycling.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mind you don't crash in to a cyclist on the way to work, they are the ones without lights cycling on pavements and going the wrong way down one way streets and ignoring red lights. If you can avoid them you may have a chance.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Basically, layer up!

A good thick base layer (or two if it's really cold), thermal cycle jersey and jacket should do the trick up top, bib tights, thick socks, shoe covers down below. Don't overdo it, it's rare you'll need more than this.

A Buff and cap under your helmet, good gloves, good glasses - sorted.

Jacket-wise, I wear Altura Night Vision in the winter - it's lightweight, warm and waterproof.

Wiggle's in-house brand, dhb, do good winter stuff at reasonable prices. Morvelo, always very, very good. Look at eBay, then check online reviews, you'll get some excellent deals.

This site has regular sales which I find almost irresistible - and I've got enough gear to last years! http://www.sportpursuit.com

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I try and cycle a bit during BST, but once the winter hours kick in, sod that! Not worried about the cold, just idiot car drivers who do not give a sxxt about cyclists and become even more myopic in the dark.

Daylight hours only for me.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Basically, layer up!

A good thick base layer (or two if it's really cold), thermal cycle jersey and jacket should do the trick up top, bib tights, thick socks, shoe covers down below. Don't overdo it, it's rare you'll need more than this.

A Buff and cap under your helmet, good gloves, good glasses - sorted.

Jacket-wise, I wear Altura Night Vision in the winter - it's lightweight, warm and waterproof.

Wiggle's in-house brand, dhb, do good winter stuff at reasonable prices. Morvelo, always very, very good. Look at eBay, then check online reviews, you'll get some excellent deals.

This site has regular sales which I find almost irresistible - and I've got enough gear to last years! http://www.sportpursuit.com
Some great stuff here.
Was also thinking of a poncho, anyone used one for cycling?

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
This winter i am going to try and cycle everyday from Portslade to Brighton to work. My route takes me from my house north of Old Shoreham Rd
down to the seafront and then along the cycle path to Middle Street and from there up into central Brighton.
Any of you harden cyclist got any tips on how i can keep warm, dry and safe? And what I can expect cycling this route sometimes as early as 5.30/6am.

Good waterproofs that are actually waterproof not just showerproof including overshoes as there is nothing worse that walking around in soggy shoes/socks all day. Really good gloves, even two pairs (runners gloves are good for under-layer). More important than all this is being seen, even with good lights you might not be seen by cars turning into the road so some good hi-viz is really important. I use a high-viz backpack cover than keeps my bag dry and also allow me to be seen. If you are on a road bike get some decent tyres with good grip as it can get a bit scary when it's really wet (especially with leaves on the road) or icy.

If there is a big head wind it might be better to come along the Old Shoreham road and then down Dyke road and Queens Road to middle street. Still a pretty quick way to get there.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I try and cycle a bit during BST, but once the winter hours kick in, sod that! Not worried about the cold, just idiot car drivers who do not give a sxxt about cyclists and become even more myopic in the dark.

Daylight hours only for me.
This is so the reason we need segregated cycle lanes.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Not a cycling fanatic, but I have done that ride many times.

On the many windy (south westerly) days, you will be virtually grinding to halt cycling home. So cycle home at least one road inland, for example Western Road/Church Road, and your journey time will be cut massively on those windy days .... with the usual care in looking out for bus and taxi drivers who seem to drive with no manners, signals and they can't stand any other road user.

If there is a big head wind it might be better to come along the Old Shoreham road and then down Dyke road and Queens Road to middle street. Still a pretty quick way to get there.
This is why I am planning on getting one of these http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here