Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In Praise Of Commuting

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Cuckfield to HH on the motorbike, HH to Elephant and Castle (the south london stroller), bus to my office on the Clapham road near the Oval. Very pleasant journey, a rare opportunity for some 'me time', read a book, watch a film, have a nap, do some work if necessary. Always get a seat, won't get on the train if I can't. Been doing it for 20 years and I don't have a problem with it, I have freinds who live in London and because of the vagaries of the tube system it can take them longer to get to the office than it takes me.

I am posting this in response to the other thread which is full of very good reasons not to like commuting. When you have been doing it as long as I have you learn to avoid confrontation, ignore the double-seaters, smile sweetly at everyone and keep the stress levels as low as possible. If you can manage those few basic principles what's not to like?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm currently enjoying a short break from working, but have done 20 years in London commuting from mid Sussex. I am actually missing the commute a bit. I like the early morning train, chance to catch up with news, email etc. Always get a seat and the trains are on time 95% of the time. Going home (again almost always get a seat because I plan my timing), the trip is a chance to unwind, usually bump into a few pals and have a chat etc. Beats a sweaty tube journey or a tiring, stressful drive any day.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I'm currently enjoying a short break from working, but have done 20 years in London commuting from mid Sussex. I am actually missing the commute a bit. I like the early morning train, chance to catch up with news, email etc. Always get a seat and the trains are on time 95% of the time. Going home (again almost always get a seat because I plan my timing), the trip is a chance to unwind, usually bump into a few pals and have a chat etc. Beats a sweaty tube journey or a tiring, stressful drive any day.

I'm rather relieved to read this, I thought I was alone in enjoying this time twixt work and home. Like you, I find planning the journey right to avoid the worst trains/commuters/tourists etc one of the secrets to stress-free commuting. I also tend to work from home more during the school holidays as one thing that threatens my enjoyment is trains full off daytripper families.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Cuckfield to HH on the motorbike, HH to Elephant and Castle (the south london stroller), bus to my office on the Clapham road near the Oval. Very pleasant journey, a rare opportunity for some 'me time', read a book, watch a film, have a nap, do some work if necessary. Always get a seat, won't get on the train if I can't. Been doing it for 20 years and I don't have a problem with it, I have freinds who live in London and because of the vagaries of the tube system it can take them longer to get to the office than it takes me.

I am posting this in response to the other thread which is full of very good reasons not to like commuting. When you have been doing it as long as I have you learn to avoid confrontation, ignore the double-seaters, smile sweetly at everyone and keep the stress levels as low as possible. If you can manage those few basic principles what's not to like?

I did Shoreham to LB for 25 years and had no problem with it when the trains were ok. Read, sleep, chat, iPad, iPod, laptop - a good time to catch up on things. It is a long day, but hey, the extra pay makes up for it and it was my choice to do it.

My circumstances have now changed. I had a week in March where I was made redundant, was told I had bowel cancer and also told I had to go on kidney dialysis 3 days a week. I've had better weeks !!! When I look for work again, I'm not sure I'll be able to cope with the commute again.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I did Shoreham to LB for 25 years and had no problem with it when the trains were ok. Read, sleep, chat, iPad, iPod, laptop - a good time to catch up on things. It is a long day, but hey, the extra pay makes up for it and it was my choice to do it.

My circumstances have now changed. I had a week in March where I was made redundant, was told I had bowel cancer and also told I had to go on kidney dialysis 3 days a week. I've had better weeks !!! When I look for work again, I'm not sure I'll be able to cope with the commute again.

Jees mate, that's one hell of a bummer week. I wish you well.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Jees mate, that's one hell of a bummer week. I wish you well.

Thank you kindly, wasn't a lot of fun. They did major surgery and seems the cancer could be sorted. I'll be training to do dialysis at home shortly, then I can start thinking about working again. Hey ho, onwards and upwards.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You're not alone at all. I thoroughly enjoy my 10 minute bike journey into work.

15 minute Brighton bike ride to work for me. If commuting works for you and/or you can make it work for you more power to you. For me it was a depressing Reggie Perrin style Brighton to London by train experience that I happily traded for earning less money and living locally. Leave work at 5, home at 5:15.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Eight minute drive or twenty minute cycle ride, depending on whether I can be arsed to get the lycra out. Lovely.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=242]Hornblower[/MENTION] you are both sick people.

17 years doing Brighton to London and that is enough for me. Would chuck it in a shot if I could.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=242]Hornblower[/MENTION] you are both sick people.

17 years doing Brighton to London and that is enough for me. Would chuck it in a shot if I could.

I'm sorry to hear that Hamilton. I guess I'm lucky as I don't have fixed hours and can pick and choose which train I catch.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm sorry to hear that Hamilton. I guess I'm lucky as I don't have fixed hours and can pick and choose which train I catch.

You are also a fine example of the British stiff upper lip. I tip my hat to you sir.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Blimey, I was made redundant last week and was feeling a bit sorry for myself but that puts in perspective. Good luck with it all - hope you get sorted soon (in every sense)

Personally, I didn't mind commuting too much - the only bummer was when trains were delayed and I missed the kids' bedtime - but I do like getting up in the morning and not have anything to do. The novelty will wear off soon I'm sure

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
My work commute has gone from a 10 minute drive/cycle, to a 50-60 min drive to Hounslow from Crawley. Mainly on the M25.

I can vary my hours, so don't need to go in early morning, but so far the positives are;

I get to listen to loads of my music in the car, and sing along.
My car is getting a bit more of a work out than it did before.
M25 was one long queue yesterday, so drove up through Chessington and then Hampton Court. Was nice driving through the different ares.
In someways is it nice to keep home and work in different towns.

Negatives?
M25......nuff said
Variable speed limits coming on late at night, when there is very little traffic. Just as the maintenance crews are changing the light bulbs in the road lights.
Tried looking at getting the train. But its pretty much 2 train then a bus, all right getting to work, but not much fun getting home late at night.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A few of minutes to travel 1 mile by bike is kind of tough to get stressed about.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
After 10 years plus of commuting to Londinium I've just got a job down the road in Sussex. A 15-minute drive and lots of it down quiet country lanes (big commuting problem this week, a load of pheasants in the road). Now I wake up naturally before the alarm and it's already light, even if I work late I still get to have supper with my wife plus I don't have to contend with crowds of slack-jawed tourists or "hipsters" on those stupid scooters.

London town can kiss my asssssssss.

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011

This. 10 years of hastings to cannon street.....the winters are desperate, service was shocking last winter due to landslides & stuff - dark cold mornings waiting on a bleak platform for a train that is invariably delayed. I hate commuting.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here