Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your journey to work and the irritations you encounter

Flex Your Head

I hate my commute in to work even though it’s only about 8 miles door-to-door, and when I finally get to my desk I hate about 90% of mankind too.

The timeline of my main peeves, irritations and hate-figures is as follows:

Car to station

• Prats who force their way up the narrow road expecting everyone else to pull in and let them pass.
• Prats who don’t acknowledge you pulling in for them
• Kids who wander across the road glaring at you in some weird new variant of ‘chicken’
• Prats who try to park at the side of the road and hold you up for aaaages whilst they struggle interminably to reverse into a space a bus could drive in to.
• Prats at the junction who won’t pull out unless they have a guaranteed 30 seconds in which to do so.
• Prats who are turning right but can’t position themselves properly so prevent anyone from turning left.

Station and train

• People who, as you walk further along the platform than them, glare at you as if you are pushing in.
• People who have phone conversations on the train and make no effort to talk discretely.
• The constant sniffer who is never more than 5 yards away.
• The pranny who insists on bringing their breakfast on to the train and slurps their coffee noisily, eats their croissant noisily and greedily, then flicks their crumbs on to your legs.
• The prat who sits next to you and believes that etiquette allows him to spread open his newspaper to read whilst leaving his forearm within an inch of your face.
• The dick who has ignored the regulations about bikes in rush hour and glares at everyone who gives him and his bike a ‘dark look’.
• Us, who do no more than give ‘dark looks’.
• Smelly people.
• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the platform at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Tits who queue at the first ticket gate and cause a massive blockage despite their being 19 other empty ticket gates.

The walk to work.

• People thrusting crap I don’t want in to my hands.
• ********s in suits and trainers. Why, just why?
• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the pavement at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Full kit wanker cyclists who treat every morning and evening as a stage of the Tour of Britain.
• People who jog to work. On some of the busiest pavements and roads in the country. In rush hour.
• Dawdlers. All of them. Except those with medical conditions.
• Tits who pull out massive golf umbrellas at the very first hint of drizzle.
• Couples, yes couples, arm-in-arm, with massive golf umbrellas in minor drizzle.
• Idiots who insist in talking very loudly in to their Blackberries so we can all hear how important they are.

I could go on and on and on…

Very jealous of those who work from home. Very jealous indeed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A few years ago I posted a set of commuting rules on my old blog. Here they are:

• One seat per person in rush hour. If you need the seat next to you for your bag then buy your bag a season ticket at an additional £4000 per year. If you need a seat for your bag and another for your paper / iPad I’m getting the guard to throw you off. Between stations.
• Garlic and cigarettes are not the correct breath smells for the morning commute unless you’re on the Paris metro.
• Unless it’s got a little ‘reserved’ ticket in it that you paid for that is not YOUR seat. It’s just the seat you sat in yesterday.
• Playing Angry Birds on an iPhone 3 when you’re a 52 year old accountant isn’t going to make you cool. Especially with the sound on.
• No we don’t ALL want to hear you rescheduling that conference call with Nigel. Or about the horror who blew you during the stag weekend in Rhyl.
• People freshly arrived from Latvia probably don’t know to stand on the right and walk on the left of escalators. Stop tutting at them. If this makes you 10 minutes late, and that loses you a bonus then leave. Your job sucks.
• If you’re so fat you need 2 seats to yourself then commuting isn’t for you. Get a job nearer to home and walk there and back until you no longer need 2 seats.
• Quoting the most obvious immigration story in the Daily Mail doesn’t make you Malcolm Muggeridge. Those of us in the carriage snickering at you are in the right.
• The Metro is shit
• Let all the people off who are getting off before elbowing your way past the old lady to the last remaining priority seat.
• Stopping dead still at the bottom of an escalator is never going to end well for anyone.
• During rush hour you are not allowed to save a seat for your friend who’s getting on 3 stops later. It’s not f*****g lunchtime at Infants School.
• The instructions for exiting a ticket barrier are this; have ticket ready, put ticket in slotty thing, walk through barrier as soon as it opens. Really, really simple unless you’re doing Physics, Higher Maths and Chemistry A Level at Sixth Form College in which case it appears to be a greater challenge than nuclear fission.
• Crowd surfing is discouraged on the tube.
• Smile and the world smiles with you. Unless you’re on the 6.30 to London Bridge. Smile on that and you need locking up.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My commute is generally pretty good.

Motorbike from Ditchling to Hove over Clayton Hill, onto the A23, down Snakey Hill, past the Greyhound Stadium and down to Portland Road.

Filtering is awesome as I don't usually have to sit in traffic, much to the car drivers' annoyance.

No major irritations other than slow cars climbing up Clayton Hill at 30mph.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I hate my commute in to work even though it’s only about 8 miles door-to-door, and when I finally get to my desk I hate about 90% of mankind too.

Car to station

• Prats who force their way up the narrow road expecting everyone else to pull in and let them pass.
• Prats who don’t acknowledge you pulling in for them
• Kids who wander across the road glaring at you in some weird new variant of ‘chicken’
• Prats who try to park at the side of the road and hold you up for aaaages whilst they struggle interminably to reverse into a space a bus could drive in to.
• Prats at the junction who won’t pull out unless they have a guaranteed 30 seconds in which to do so.
• Prats who are turning right but can’t position themselves properly so prevent anyone from turning left.

Station and train

• People who, as you walk further along the platform than them, glare at you as if you are pushing in.
• People who have phone conversations on the train and make no effort to talk discretely.
• The constant sniffer who is never more than 5 yards away.
• The pranny who insists on bringing their breakfast on to the train and slurps their coffee noisily, eats their croissant noisily and greedily, then flicks their crumbs on to your legs.
• The prat who sits next to you and believes that etiquette allows him to spread open his newspaper to read whilst leaving his forearm within an inch of your face.
• The dick who has ignored the regulations about bikes in rush hour and glares at everyone who gives him and his bike a ‘dark look’.
• Us, who do no more than give ‘dark looks’.
• Smelly people.
• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the platform at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Tits who queue at the first ticket gate and cause a massive blockage despite their being 19 other empty ticket gates.

The walk to work.

• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the pavement at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Full kit wanker cyclists who treat every morning and evening as a stage of the Tour of Britain.
• People who jog to work. On some of the busiest pavements and roads in the country. In rush hour.
• Couples, yes couples, arm-in-arm, with massive golf umbrellas in minor drizzle.
• Idiots who insist in talking very loudly in to their Blackberries so we can all hear how important they are.

You sound very angry. I agree with all of that! Whatever happened to manners and consideration of others?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bus to Tube Station. Tube almost the entire length of the Piccadilly line, change for district line at Hammersmith, get the shitting District line (if it feels like running that morning) walk the remainder.

1hr 30 mins.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Used to do the bus to Brighton and the train+tube to London. Hated it for all the obvious reasons.

I then worked in HH so did bus to Brighton, train to HH. Instantly the joy of getting off the train in HH instead of London was amazing.

I then got a car and now drive to HH in 45 mins through Newhaven, Lewes and Chailey. Absolute bliss of a commute. Barely any traffic, lovely winding roads to Lewes. Chailey nature reserve and dodging cows in the road and then plod into Haywards Heath.

People at work still think my drive (maybe an hour home sometimes) is a longish one....but I can't complain for a second after doing the tube/trains/bus combo and getting home at 8.30/9pm each night.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Bus to Tube Station. Tube almost the entire length of the Piccadilly line, change for district line at Hammersmith, get the shitting District line (if it feels like running that morning) walk the remainder.

1hr 30 mins.

Wow mate, I had no idea your commute was that long! Not fun.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Getting the metro at Prague main station..you have to walk through a small park. Full of homeless, and Roma...in the summer, when the homeless bag all the benches, the smell along there is stunning!

..was also asked if I wanted sex by a young Roma girl at 06:30 am on the way to work.. no...I want coffee ...you have any coffee?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Right, the standard of driving here is something to be believed, basic principles seem to be lacking.
Tailgating , the national sport here.
Indicating to turn left at roundabouts when they are driving straight on, this causes no end of bingles.
Resentment due to being overtaken by a van, or a smaller car.
No courtesy whatsoever.
Indicating and pulling out straight away without even checking to see if there is a gap, indication here is an order to move out the way and not a request to merge respectfully.
Moving suddenly from the right hand lane, right across the left hand lane, carving up everyone and leaving at a junction when they are right on top of it, seen many a pile up due to this.
Sitting in the right hand lane of an empty road doing 10km below the speed limit, keep left my arse.
This isn't only on my way to work, it is all the time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The walk to work.

You don't walk in to The City from London Bridge station do you? Those all look very familiar!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Getting the metro at Prague main station..you have to walk through a small park. Full of homeless, and Roma...in the summer, when the homeless bag all the benches, the smell along there is stunning!

..was also asked if I wanted sex by a young Roma girl at 06:30 am on the way to work.. no...I want coffee ...you have any coffee?

:needpics:
It was only a matter of time.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Used to do the bus to Brighton and the train+tube to London. Hated it for all the obvious reasons.

I then worked in HH so did bus to Brighton, train to HH. Instantly the joy of getting off the train in HH instead of London was amazing.

I then got a car and now drive to HH in 45 mins through Newhaven, Lewes and Chailey. Absolute bliss of a commute. Barely any traffic, lovely winding roads to Lewes. Chailey nature reserve and dodging cows in the road and then plod into Haywards Heath.

People at work still think my drive (maybe an hour home sometimes) is a longish one....but I can't complain for a second after doing the tube/trains/bus combo and getting home at 8.30/9pm each night.

Totally agree. After doing the London commute myself it's a killer and an hours drive is a doddle in comparison.

I find myself driving down to Brighton every weekend now, hoping to exchange on the house this week and complete next. Finding a job in Brighton or surrounding area is a must but can't say I'm going to miss my commute one bit!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Car to station

•Prats who force their way up the narrow road expecting everyone else to pull in and let them pass.
•Prats who don’t acknowledge you pulling in for them
•Kids who wander across the road glaring at you in some weird new variant of ‘chicken’
•Prats who try to park at the side of the road and hold you up for aaaages whilst they struggle interminably to reverse into a space a bus could drive in to.
•Prats at the junction who won’t pull out unless they have a guaranteed 30 seconds in which to do so.
•Prats who are turning right but can’t position themselves properly so prevent anyone from turning left.

Station and train

•People who, as you walk further along the platform than them, glare at you as if you are pushing in.
•People who have phone conversations on the train and make no effort to talk discretely.
•The constant sniffer who is never more than 5 yards away.
•The pranny who insists on bringing their breakfast on to the train and slurps their coffee noisily, eats their croissant noisily and greedily, then flicks their crumbs on to your legs.
•The prat who sits next to you and believes that etiquette allows him to spread open his newspaper to read whilst leaving his forearm within an inch of your face.
•The dick who has ignored the regulations about bikes in rush hour and glares at everyone who gives him and his bike a ‘dark look’.
•Us, who do no more than give ‘dark looks’.
•Smelly people.
•People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the platform at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
•Tits who queue at the first ticket gate and cause a massive blockage despite their being 19 other empty ticket gates.

The walk to work.

•People thrusting crap I don’t want in to my hands.
•********s in suits and trainers. Why, just why?
•People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the pavement at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
•Full kit wanker cyclists who treat every morning and evening as a stage of the Tour of Britain.
•People who jog to work. On some of the busiest pavements and roads in the country. In rush hour.
•Dawdlers. All of them. Except those with medical conditions.
•Tits who pull out massive golf umbrellas at the very first hint of drizzle.
•Couples, yes couples, arm-in-arm, with massive golf umbrellas in minor drizzle.
•Idiots who insist in talking very loudly in to their Blackberries so we can all hear how important they are.

If it's only 8 miles why the need for car train and feet to get that far. Couldn't you just walk it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I work at home 50% (or more) of the time and half the shift I go in for in Crawley are outside the rush hour. Sometimes I go the quick way, A27/A23 and sometimes the scenic way, A22 then through Ashdown forest.
The 8-4 shift though, I absolutely hate it; It seems that a lot of "commuter drivers" have no thought for others and are intent on getting ahead regardless of whether they are in the right lane or causing inconvenience.
Drivers of German cars seem to be the worst.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If it's only 8 miles why the need for car train and feet to get that far. Couldn't you just walk it.

8 miles is a very long (2 hours?) walk to work and back each day. Probably only a 30-40 minute cycle though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here