Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Bamber

mbamber

Sep 19, 2014
Just to say thank you to the supporters who posted kind words about my father Mike Bamber. He was a great man and was dedicated to the Albion. Shame that the club have never honoured him

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Looking back we had some golden years under his chairmanship

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I was too young to really appreciate the detail of what Mike Bamber was doing for Brighton but what seems pretty clear is that he dared to dream. I wonder what he would have made of the Amex and Lancing.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No it was getting Cloughie and especially Peter Taylor in as managers, Taylor built and discovered the likes of Wardy and Horton that Mullery took to the top

Clough and Taylor appoionted Ken Gutteridge (manager of Burton) as a coach and he brought Peter Ward with him or rather recommended him. Nobody including the scouts had ever heard of him prior to that, so the credit for Wardy must go to KG.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was 16 at the time of the cup final, my father was helping in the club shop leading up to the game and then on the Sunday after selling tickets for the replay, my brother and I went with him and spent most of the collecting the money scattered all over the floor behind the counter and taking it through to the back office to put into piles. (no I don't know happened to it after that!) My abiding memories were firstly Moseley turning up on his push bike and leaving it in the office and secondly Mike Bamber coming in and sitting with my brother and I around the table helping count the money and taking yet another box full of tickets out to the shop. Spent some time with us totally enthused about the day before. The whole time he never appeared to be without a Rothmans clued to his lip. Looking back now it was very surreal given the immensity of the occasion, especially back then when the whole Country and many parts of the World celebrated final day as one of greatest sporting occasion on the calender.

A great man and what a time to be a kid watching the Albion, just a pity Wickenden was not around to be the rock behind Mike.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Clough and Taylor appoionted Ken Gutteridge (manager of Burton) as a coach and he brought Peter Ward with him or rather recommended him. Nobody including the scouts had ever heard of him prior to that, so the credit for Wardy must go to KG.

I thought Taylor spotted him as a kid when Taylor was manager at Burton. Read somewhere he signed him three times, Burton, Us and Forest. Clough never wanted him especially at Forest hence why he never played him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's a shame, given the family links to the past of TB with that era Mike Bamber is not honoured on the Legends wall or somewhere at the Amex.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Best chairman we have EVER had and SHAMEFUL how he was hounded out of the club. I would love to see a Mike Bamber stand or something in honour of him at the AMEX, if it wasn't for him and his dreams of the future we would forever have been a small time team shuffling round the bottom 2 leagues

Absolutely what he said! Thank you MB.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought Taylor spotted him as a kid when Taylor was manager at Burton. Read somewhere he signed him three times, Burton, Us and Forest. Clough never wanted him especially at Forest hence why he never played him.

Possible but unlikely as Peter Taylor was manager of Burton from 1962 - 65. Peter Ward was born in 1955 so he was 7 when Taylor joined and 10 when he left:

Ken Gutteridge was football man of vast experience
By Derby Telegraph | Posted: August 18, 2012

Comments (0)
KEN Gutteridge, who has died at the age of 83, was a vastly experienced football man.

Born in Derby, he was an inside right in his playing days at Gresley Rovers and Burton, and was a part-time professional at Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday.

He enjoyed a successful spell as Burton Albion manager in the 1970s and discovered striker Peter Ward, who the Brewers sold to Brighton & Hove Albion.

Ward became Brighton's greatest ever goalscorer and played for England.

Gutteridge followed Ward to Brighton, where he also worked under Peter Taylor before he became assistant manager to Alan Mullery.

He was reunited with Taylor as part of the Rams' backroom staff at Derby after Taylor became manager in 1982. He also worked under Roy McFarland and Arthur Cox at Derby.

Stints as assistant manager at Luton Town and Walsall followed and he scouted for Sheffield United and Tottenham Hotspur.

Gutteridge's son, Peter, said football was his father's life and his passion.

"I remember watching Derby County play Brighton in a League Cup tie when my dad was working at Brighton," said Peter.

"I always supported my dad's teams but when they played against Derby I could not switch my allegiance.

"Dad loved his football. I remember during his scouting days he would drive two hours to a game and two hours back and then switch on the television to see if there was a game on."

Ken passed away at a Burton residential home after a long illness.

A funeral service is due to be held at Markeaton Crematorium, Derby, at 2pm on Wednesday, August 29.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Ken...tory-16732513-detail/story.html#ixzz3E8eGugFi
Follow us: [MENTION=29384]Derby[/MENTION]Telegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook
Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Ken...6732513-detail/story.html#0H5gKBe2drIxRhZM.99

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here