Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I will say one thing for Poyet,

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
At least he knew we always needed a presence up front. Murray, Sandaza, Paynter, Vokes, Barnes, Ulloa.....Everyone knows I'm not Poyet's number one fan. But he did realize the need to always have a more physical striker in the side, even if not all of them were a success.....I'm not writing O'Grady off totally, although early signs are not great, but the need for a stronger type of striker is obvious to everyone. Either starting, or as a option on the bench.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Obvious to almost everyone outside the club but not the scouts, think they are just trying to get enough players in for the xmas panto

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
What was the point in signing Baldock after we signed Colunga and had CMS or why sign Colunga when you are going to sign Baldock.

Makes no sense at all. The money should have been spent on a decent championship/top div 1 leader of the line.

Why did we have these sorts of players under Poyet? Because he had control of the football side now this is handled by suits with players trained by head coaches.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I disagree: nothing in the past is irrelevant, therefore opinions re Poyet are by definition relevant. It's not comparable I know; but trying telling a Man Utd fan Fergie is irrelevant. Try telling a WW2 veteran that the past just doesn't matter.

Indeed I'd say Poyet being our most successful manager of the last decade makes him extremely relevant, especially when holding up his achievements versus the current incumbent.

I miss him as a manager, as a personality and as a tactician.

Yes he's gone, but the OP is spot on, secondly what he achieved during his time with the club should never be forgotten or cast into a raging tempest and scattered to the four winds...

Kosh

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Is the absence of O'Grady from the squad on Saturday an admission that he was a waste of money??? Or a statement from the manager that he doesn't think a more physical striker, is an option he feels he needs available to him during a game at some stage, if things don't go to plan.....Either way, it's a concern that someone doesn't know their job.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I disagree: nothing in the past is irrelevant, therefore opinions re Poyet are by definition relevant. It's not comparable I know; but trying telling a Man Utd fan Fergie is irrelevant. Try telling a WW2 veteran that the past just doesn't matter.

Indeed I'd say Poyet being our most successful manager of the last decade makes him extremely relevant, especially when holding up his achievements versus the current incumbent.

I miss him as a manager, as a personality and as a tactician.

Yes he's gone, but the OP is spot on, secondly what he achieved during his time with the club should never be forgotten or cast into a raging tempest and scattered to the four winds...

Kosh

As a tactician!!! Is this the same Poyet whom, whilst managing in the Championship, for nearly two years failed to come from behind to win a game. That suggests someone who cannot change a game tactically.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As a tactician!!! Is this the same Poyet whom, whilst managing in the Championship, for nearly two years failed to come from behind to win a game. That suggests someone who cannot change a game tactically.

The same Poyet that lost over 2 legs to a Palace side without their top scorer and who at that point had won 1 game (against a relegated side) in 3 months.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At least he knew we always needed a presence up front. Murray, Sandaza, Paynter, Vokes, Barnes, Ulloa.....Everyone knows I'm not Poyet's number one fan. But he did realize the need to always have a more physical striker in the side, even if not all of them were a success.....I'm not writing O'Grady off totally, although early signs are not great, but the need for a stronger type of striker is obvious to everyone. Either starting, or as a option on the bench.

You can add Woods.

But he inherited the classy Murray, didn't rate him worthy of modest pay, so saw him off.

CMS-lovers tell us Poyet saw CMS as the future, with the mythical ball over the top or played through, so in Summer 2011 Poyet abandoned the tall guy theory (Murray for CMS). If Poyet wasn't so arrogant, he would admit those two bits of transfer business were a mega mistake. Anyway, he doesn't need to, because we've been low scorers in the main since Murray left, and Poyet then desperately acquired/borrowed a succession of ineffective forwards watched by us all: CMS, Vokes, Dobbie, Bergkamp, Agdastein, Paynter.

If Poyet has learned, it was at our expense and Sunderland's gain.

el punal

Is the absence of O'Grady from the squad on Saturday an admission that he was a waste of money??? Or a statement from the manager that he doesn't think a more physical striker, is an option he feels he needs available to him during a game at some stage, if things don't go to plan.....Either way, it's a concern that someone doesn't know their job.
Don't know this for sure, but was he injured?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here