Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex atmosphere.....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
To be honest, those that run The Amex on match day don't actually want an atmosphere. Much easier to have polite clapping and people sat quietly chewing on their overpriced pie than shouting, hollering, chanting, laughing and generally raising the roof to get behind their team.

Passionate fans equals that sad old word used by sad, prehistoric football thugs of years gone by - BANTER. This word is not good as it means that people are poking fun at each other, taking the mickey is how it might be known, possibly even gesticulating at each other, heaven forbid! Far better to give them 'meal deals', or extra slow service at the food counters, it keeps their mind off the football you see and thereby avoids too much concern over the result.

Even better to publicly congratulate the opposition supporters on their magnificent efforts in following their chosen team, we can do this over the PA system and even encourage our own fans to openly applaud them. All of the above helps to dissipate unnecessary emotion and thereby create a harmonious environment for our football artistes to express themselves.

Whilst all of the above is basically sanctimonious claptrap by me, there is an element of truth to it. But not only do we as a club thank our opposite numbers for coming via the PA, we even write it down for them as well (see attached). TB might talk about wanting an atmosphere, it ain't gonna happen all the time we suppress our more boisterous fans and make the other lot feel like they own the place! uploadfromtaptalk1411412270520.jpg

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ that's tin pot and embarrassing..Applauding the away fans is pathetic and i bet we're the only club that does it,you'll never get an atmosphere going with this sort of rubbish.

Can't wait to see what happens next

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Christ that's tin pot and embarrassing..Applauding the away fans is pathetic and i bet we're the only club that does it,you'll never get an atmosphere going with this sort of rubbish.

Can't wait to see what happens next

Will probably have red carpet down for the Boro fans on their arrival along with a complimentary glass of champagne.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Atmosphere is poor for several reasons:

North has to many groups not united as one
Match day pre game is sterile no sense of an event (Gullys Girls would even be an improvement)
Support is flat since Gus's departure, fans need to believe in the manager etc
Momentum has gone

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The North Stand at The Goldstone had groups of singers , the difference was when one group started a song the others joined in unison.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
Do you know what...I NEVER applaud the away fans. We need to create some intimidation and to cheer our boys on the field on. Always seemed a bit if a weird one in my view!

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
WSU block C has become an absolute deadzone. I look around and there is not even the hint of support. Yes, I know I should be the one who starts the singing off but there are only so many times you can start a chant and no one else join in.

I believe the ground is too fragmented now, more 'groups' dotted around the ground would get the atmosphere going but everyone is congregating to the North. The sound from the North doesn't travel.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
The atmosphere is poor because people only seem to want to make a noise when a player misplaces a pass or makes an error. There is never any noise when we are playing badly or finding it hard to break down the other team (like against Blackpool). Where was the wall of noise from the north stand trying to suck the ball into the goal? Instead its just jeering when a player passes sideways or puts in a poor cross and clamouring for Lua Lua to come on.
Just make noise, it ain't hard. Noise when we are doing badly is far more important than when we are winning so the "we need to see something on the pitch to make noise" is just guff and a pathetic excuse really.

This is true but it's because people are not convinced by what we are doing or what's going on.

Club needs a strong figurehead and some decent signings to get the crowd going again, there is a big hangover still from the Palace game and Gus leaving. That void has not been filled.

The masses need something to believe in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So... there's a contention that the club doesn't want an atmosphere, yet - should that be true - no-one is prepared to challenge that...? You'd rather just sit there and whine that you're being told to sit nicely?

Why must whatever needs to be done be club-led? If you want to make a noise - make a sodding noise. Don't whine about it, just do it.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This is true but it's because people are not convinced by what we are doing or what's going on.

Club needs a strong figurehead and some decent signings to get the crowd going again, there is a big hangover still from the Palace game and Gus leaving. That void has not been filled.

The masses need something to believe in.
Its nothing to do with poyet etc...Was it really bouncing when poyet was here?
Lack of goals at the amex and entertainment have not come to fruition in nearly 4 years.The poyet two years was because we had a new stadium and the feel good factor was here in which kept people buzzing.

Our home form has been pretty dire since we've been at the amex and that needs to be put right at some point.All this corporate soppyness and applauding the bloody away fans needs to bloody stop.Its turning the amex into a day at the zoo when really it craves feistyness and intimidation.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I'd rather watch a game at a family friendly stadium like the amex than some sh##hole club with fans shouting 'c##t' at the players every second like that particular player is the reason for all of their lifes problems lol

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'd rather watch a game at a family friendly stadium like the amex than some sh##hole club with fans shouting 'c##t' at the players every second like that particular player is the reason for all of their lifes problems lol
I'd prefer foul language and lots of feistyness :)
That's what footy is all about

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
(In response to Sir Albion)

The crowd was united at this time and we were going forwards improving every time.

We got beat by our biggest rivals at home and lost the figurehead and person who has steered us on the pitch forwards.

Ever since then the atmosphere has emptied like a balloon IMHO, yes I also agree to an extent that the new stadium factor would also be a factor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

The Amex atmosphere is exactly the same as The Goldstone atmosphere, but better than Withdean.

We do not, and never have, created an atmosphere.

We are, and always have been, a reactionary crowd.
We have never been proactive.

If there's lots of opposition fans making a racket - we sing.
If the ref has done us wrong - we sing.
If we're losing - we sing (for a bit)
If we're winning - we sing (for a bit)
If we're away - we sing all the time.

If it's 'just' a game of football, which most of them are - we do nothing.

That's how it's always been, and anyone who says different has popped on their rosy specs and is only remembering the good times.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
(In response to Sir Albion)

The crowd was united at this time and we were going forwards improving every time.

We got beat by our biggest rivals at home and lost the figurehead and person who has steered us on the pitch forwards.

Ever since then the atmosphere has emptied like a balloon IMHO, yes I also agree to an extent that the new stadium factor would also be a factor.
Managers come and go...Just get the feeling we have way to many fans nowadays creaming themselves over half a dozen cracking performances under poyet,mind you we didn't actually win all of those i,e bolton etc.I don't want to be talking about previous managers as its pointless...Even though personally i detested poyet's boring predictable football regardless of making 4th place with a great defence.

It has nothing to do with poyet though...If hyypia turns us around with exciting footer the atmosphere will pick up im sure of that and we have some fabulous years ahead that will be miles ahead of previous years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here