Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why can't we ever PRODUCE a DECENT striker ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Why is our youth team and academies unable to produce a decent quality striker ? One that has a lasting career at Championship level at least and a 20+ goals a season man. We've had over hopes over the likes of Jake Robinson and Joe Gatting recently but they failed and going back through the years even Peter Ward was brought in.

Even lately, Barker, Dickinson and others have come into the development squad and soon been sent packing. It's about time we found someone but I shan't hold my breath waiting.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
is this serious or not? I cant tell if you don't put the capitals in the main text.

I would presume its serious but the capitals in the thread title are making me question it... m just gonna answer both

real answer: the players that have come through recently just haven't been good enough quality, we're only just progressing as an academy so things will take time.

ernest answer: why don't you ask your SAUCE for who we are linked with?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
is this serious or not? I cant tell if you don't put the capitals in the main text.

I would presume its serious but the capitals in the thread title are making me question it... m just gonna answer both

real answer: the players that have come through recently just haven't been good enough quality, we're only just progressing as an academy so things will take time.

ernest answer: why don't you ask your SAUCE for who we are linked with?

When was the last time we produced a striker from the local area from the youth team through to a first team regular and turned into a quality striker ? NEVER

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How many teams do produce good strikers from their youth squads? Southampton? Everton? I can't think of many more.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Bournemouth turn them out like..............regularly.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
When was the last time we produced a striker from the local area from the youth team through to a first team regular and turned into a quality striker ? NEVER

that's exactly what im saying, maybe with our previously poor academy system we missed out on young talent who, in the right hands, may have flourished. we have a very large catchment area for a club of our size and so there must be potential in the area. potential that I fell will hopefully flourish with the new training ground and academy system

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
that's exactly what im saying, maybe with our previously poor academy system we missed out on young talent who, in the right hands, may have flourished. we have a very large catchment area for a club of our size and so there must be potential in the area. potential that I fell will hopefully flourish with the new training ground and academy system

But how many Sussex born players in the Premier over the years ? Gareth Barry & Hammond now are ones I can think of but Sussex has hardly been a fruitful hunting ground for anyone in the past. We may need to cast the net far and wide for the right youngsters like Southampton do

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
But how many Sussex born players in the Premier over the years ? Gareth Barry & Hammond now are ones I can think of but Sussex has hardly been a fruitful hunting ground for anyone in the past. We may need to cast the net far and wide for the right youngsters like Southampton do

completely agree. although it should be noted that other than brighton and , we have no big landmarks of population (even eastbournes pushing it as saying its got a large population)... Hampshire on the other hand has many medium/big towns scattered around whilst sharing its borders to other big local counties or towns like Swindon, reading, Bournemouth etc...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But how many Sussex born players in the Premier over the years ? Gareth Barry & Hammond

Steve Brown and Russell Martin

it should be noted that other than brighton and , we have no big landmarks of population (even eastbournes pushing it as saying its got a large population)... Hampshire on the other hand has many medium/big towns scattered around

The population of Sussex is 1.6m, population of Hampshire is 1.7m - not that much in it

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
John Robinson had many PL games for Charlton. Lynch and Harding are in the Championship. Harrison Reed of Southampton comes from Worthing I think.

Not brilliant but there are other places like Hull that don't produce many players.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
John Robinson had many PL games for Charlton. Lynch and Harding are in the Championship.

Robinson was born in Zimbabwe, Dan Harding in Gloucester

Wasn't the original question about strikers - aren't all these rather proving Ernest's point?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
John Robinson had many PL games for Charlton. Lynch and Harding are in the Championship. Harrison Reed of Southampton comes from Worthing I think.

Not brilliant but there are other places like Hull that don't produce many players.

This post referred specifically to strikers though. And our historic record, as Ernest is correct in saying, is abysmal. I can't think of a single home-produced striker, ever, that other clubs have genuinely envied or wanted to pay money for. All the strikers we turn out end up sinking down the leagues and wind up non-league by their mid to late twenties. George Barker may well be in League One now but my money says he won't make it with them.

Joe Gatting. Chris McPhee. Scott Ramsay. Jake Robinson. It's like a Who's Who of south eastern non league football. Going back to the 1980s was even worse. Franco Massimo, anyone? Simon Funnell?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here