Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tattoos/Piercings and employment

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
There is a follow up artical to one on the BBC a few weeks back about people with tattoos getting a hard time of it when it comes to their employers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29211526

My thoughts are this - If you are going to get tattoos/piercings, go for it. If thats how you want to waste your money go crazy. But dont have the ignorence to think its not going to affect you employment options in the future.

I feel little sympathy for these stories. Waaa Waaa Waaa I didnt get promotion / a job ect because I decided to pay someone to put a load of black sh1t under my skin and make me look 'different' and 'cool'.

Thoughts?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There is a follow up artical to one on the BBC a few weeks back about people with tattoos getting a hard time of it when it comes to their employers.

My thoughts are this - If you are going to get tattoos/piercings, go for it. If thats how you want to waste your money go crazy. But dont have the ignorence to think its not going to affect you employment options in the future.

I feel little sympathy for these stories. Waaa Waaa Waaa I didnt get promotion / a job ect because I decided to pay someone to put a load of black sh1t under my skin and make me look 'different' and 'cool'.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you are right...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is perfectly easy to have a tattoo in a place that is non-visible at work

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I keep my Ed Miliband tat covered at work.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Thoughts?

I think you sound like a bigot.

Tatoos are so common these days I think these views will fade in time. It's a shame people still look to judges others superficially. Character, personality and actions are much better things to measure a person by.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Was chatting with a barmaid the other night who is covered... it seems funny that when I was in the RN, it tended to be Forces, and bikers who had tatts....and you would probably not take a tattoo'd girl home to meet your family... now it seems that its women who have gone for it...
Work wise...well, some places will employ you...some definitely wont.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I personally have most of my arms covered. I have them to neither look 'cool' or to be 'different'. I have them because I wanted them.

If I was offered a job on the proviso that I cover myself up I'd tell them to shove it; why would I want to work for people who have judged me on my appearance before seeing the quality of my work?

Thus far, my employers have been open-minded and fair people and I've never had a problem.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Thoughts?

Disagree. You should be judged on your ability to do a job, not someone else's subjective interpretation of how to look.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I personally have most of my arms covered. I have them to neither look 'cool' or to be 'different'. I have them because I wanted them.

If I was offered a job on the proviso that I cover myself up I'd tell them to shove it; why would I want to work for people who have judged me on my appearance before seeing the quality of my work?

Thus far, my employers have been open-minded and fair people and I've never had a problem.

Same here.

I do occasionally feel awkward/embarrassed in a senior meeting though if I'm without a long-sleeved shirt.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

Thoughts?

suppose employers can afford to be picky nowadays.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think you sound like a bigot.

Tatoos are so common these days I think these views will fade in time. It's a shame people still look to judges others superficially. Character, personality and actions are much better things to measure a person by.

Bigots exist and you have to deal with it.

You either get on with it and make your own way in life, or don't get plastered in tattoos and piercings.

Either way is fine by me, but call me an inkist, I just don't want to listen to people bleating about how they are being held back, because others don't see the real person.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Bigots exist and you have to deal with it.

You either get on with it and make your own way in life, or don't get plastered in tattoos and piercings.

Either way is fine by me, but call me an inkist, I just don't want to listen to people bleating about how they are being held back, because others don't see the real person.

Yes, let's just continue letting bigots be bigots. Let's not challenge their views in an attempt at change.

For what it's worth, I don't class people against tattoos as bigoted. It is very much a personal choice.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I've got Albion tats down both forearms. I have been looking for work for 12 days and had 2 job offers today, neither interviewers had an issue with my tats. Both jobs in the motor trade dealing with the public with my tats visible.

:shrug:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I think the OP is incredibly ignorant. Unless you work with children what does it matter that you have a tattoo(s)? Not having tattoos doesn't make you any better at your job. As an employee you should be judged on the quality of your work not on how you look.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Thoughts?

Please detail how having some ink on your skin prevents anyone doing their job properly and well ? Same kind of attitude of managers back in the 70s / 80s who didn't like beards or insisted you had to wear a tie.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think the OP is incredibly ignorant. Unless you work with children what does it matter that you have a tattoo(s)? Not having tattoos doesn't make you any better at your job. As an employee you should be judged on the quality of your work not on how you look.

Not to be picky but :"Unless you work with children" does not tally up with "As an employee you should be judged on the quality of your work not on how you look."

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm not sure whether it's just bigotry and discrimination.

I think the key questions are:
A) does being covered in tattoos tell me anything about the person?

B) is what it tells me relevant to their ability to do the job?

I think it does tell me something about their judgement and insight, and particularly their ability to look forward over a longish period and know whether they'll still be happy with an irreversible decision they made in their youth. I know personally several otherwise highly intelligent people who deeply regret the lapse in judgement that led them to get large visible tattoos and they now wish they hadn't.
I can imagine that there are some (probably quite senior) jobs in which that kind of lack of foresight and judgement might be seen as a negative.
In many other jobs it's clearly irrelevant- the bloke who serves me coffee every morning, for example. I might think (I do actually) that he looks a total plonker, but I couldn't argue that it should affect his employment chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here