Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Nick Cave Movie, 20,000 Days on Earth

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone seen it? Just listened to Kermode and he speaks highly, and says it reflects well on Brighton too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Go and watch it. Saw its premier on Wednesday- a hugely enjoyable insight into Cave and a day in his life. Part documentary, part fantasy. Had a satalite link and after the film there was a discussion with the producers Cave and Warren Ellis amongst others. Also some live music. Good to see bits of Brighton. Poor editing in places- for example if driving along Madeira Drive towards the Pier you don't then end up in Peacehaven. But only us locals are going to spot that!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really enjoyed it. Don't think you'd have to be a fan of his to get something out of it. A fascinating insight into the life of an extraordinary man.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Am really looking forward to this. I'm a huge fan of Nick Cave but lost my mojo with his music over the last few years and I hope his movie will go a long way to bringing it back.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Am really looking forward to this. I'm a huge fan of Nick Cave but lost my mojo with his music over the last few years and I hope his movie will go a long way to bringing it back.

A lot of it revolves around the recording of the last record so it should prove a worthwhile insight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone seen it? Just listened to Kermode and he speaks highly, and says it reflects well on Brighton too.

Kermode's review in The Guardian is very interesting and draws a parallel with Mick Jagger in the excellent Performance. He claims this film is a massive nod to the Jagger film. Looking forward to seeing it and trying to understand it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A lot of it revolves around the recording of the last record so it should prove a worthwhile insight.

Ah cool. Cheers.

I really, really wish I could love that album. I've got the limited edition boxset of that and it came with a facsimile copy of his notebook/journal that he kept when making that album and it's a brilliant insight into the mind of a man that admire for so many reasons. It's great just to see how a top musician goes about creating an album. Aside from the lyrics, and what did and didn't make the last draft there's his observations, newspaper cuttings, all sorts. This is what it looks like:

2lwtyqu.jpg

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Cave is a genius (I think he really is) and the most incredible performer I've ever seen. The film is fascinating and powerful but tricky. All the characters are who they say they are but they are not necessarily playing themselves, if that makes sense. It's also a love letter to Brighton. Absolutely essential if you love Nick Cave, and if you don't it's still essential because everyone needs Nick Cave in their life.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ah cool. Cheers.

I really, really wish I could love that album. I've got the limited edition boxset of that and it came with a facsimile copy of his notebook/journal that he kept when making that album and it's a brilliant insight into the mind of a man that admire for so many reasons. It's great just to see how a top musician goes about creating an album. Aside from the lyrics, and what did and didn't make the last draft there's his observations, newspaper cuttings, all sorts. This is what it looks like:

2lwtyqu.jpg

I enjoyed it - Jubilee Street is up there with the best things he's done I reckon.

He's one of those artisits I don't have a go to album for as it goes but I've really enjoyed what he's done since Nocturama.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
A mate who went last night said it's great if you ignore the music, which is kinda what I'd expect (not being a fan of Cave's). Forsyth and Pollard, who co-directed it, are excellent artists. I'm going to go and have a watch tonight.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I enjoyed it - Jubilee Street is up there with the best things he's done I reckon.

He's one of those artisits I don't have a go to album for as it goes but I've really enjoyed what he's done since Nocturama.

He seemed to have lost a bit of his creative invention, to me. The Grinderman 2 album was really good, although noticeably he broke his own rules about the band (no love ballads - but then added 'Palaces of Montezuma') and turned it into a more mainstream venture. I still wonder why that was a Grinderman track rather than a Bad Seeds one. The Lawless soundtrack was weak, very weak when it could have been something quite special in the manner of the soundtrack to 'O Brother Where Art Thou' or Jack White's 'Lazaretto' because Nick Cave has a huge knowledge and appreciation of the genre. He missed a big trick there. And then Push the Sky Away came and it was turgid piano ballads aplenty. It's as if he raided his cast-offs from 2002-2006 to fill parts of the album. 'We No Who U R' is my favourite on the album but even that's tempered by having an excruciatingly awful spelling of the song title. Why, Nick? Why?

If Grinderman is his release to let rip away from the constraints of the Bad Seeds (as with the classic No Pussy Blues) then maybe he should have kept some of that energy back for his mainstream stuff. But even Grinderman has its quieter moments. I had hoped for something akin to Abbatoir Blues but instead it was a sub-standard No More Shall We Part. I know I'm in a minority with this view amongst Cave fans though!

Edit - I'd also add that his sexism is getting a lot less ironic and a lot more dirty old man. The Grinderman album covers and then the video to Jubilee Street was all very blatant. It could have been a lot more artistic and still retained the essence of what he was getting at. It's noticeablw in his novel writing too. And The Ass Saw The Angel had some horrific scenes in it but it was all very Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream-type stuff and with a definite prupose. The Death of Bunny Monro was a very pervy, odd novel and belongs alongside the latest album.

Yes, I do take Nick Cave far too seriously!

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He seemed to have lost a bit of his creative invention, to me. The Grinderman 2 album was really good, although noticeably he broke his own rules about the band (no love ballads - but then added 'Palaces of Montezuma') and turned it into a more mainstream venture. I still wonder why that was a Grinderman track rather than a Bad Seeds one. The Lawless soundtrack was weak, very weak when it could have been something quite special in the manner of the soundtrack to 'O Brother Where Art Thou' or Jack White's 'Lazaretto' because Nick Cave has a huge knowledge and appreciation of the genre. He missed a big trick there. And then Push the Sky Away came and it was turgid piano ballads aplenty. It's as if he raided his cast-offs from 2002-2006 to fill parts of the album. 'We No Who U R' is my favourite on the album but even that's tempered by having an excruciatingly awful spelling of the song title. Why, Nick? Why?

If Grinderman is his release to let rip away from the constraints of the Bad Seeds (as with the classic No Pussy Blues) then maybe he should have kept some of that energy back for his mainstream stuff. But even Grinderman has its quieter moments. I had hoped for something akin to Abbatoir Blues but instead it was a sub-standard No More Shall We Part. I know I'm in a minority with this view amongst Cave fans though!

Edit - I'd also add that his sexism is getting a lot less ironic and a lot more dirty old man. The Grinderman album covers and then the video to Jubilee Street was all very blatant. It could have been a lot more artistic and still retained the essence of what he was getting at. It's noticeablw in his novel writing too. And The Ass Saw The Angel had some horrific scenes in it but it was all very Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream-type stuff and with a definite prupose. The Death of Bunny Monro was a very pervy, odd novel and belongs alongside the latest album.

Yes, I do take Nick Cave far too seriously!

Opinions eh? I really enjoyed both Grinderman albums and found plenty to like in DLD and PTSA.

In the right mood, I really like The Road soundtrack, though must admit I didn't give it much time. Haven't paid much attaention to his other soundtrack stuff. Am I missing much?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've not managed to finish either novel though. I'm not the world's most patient reader.

It's funny you make the point about his sexism, you're right. I've rather dubiously given him a pass for it when I probably shouldn't have done. If it were a new artist I wouldn't be anything like as accomodating.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Opinions eh? I really enjoyed both Grinderman albums and found plenty to like in DLD and PTSA.

In the right mood, I really like The Road soundtrack, though must admit I didn't give it much time. Haven't paid much attaention to his other soundtrack stuff. Am I missing much?

The Road is a phenomenally good album and I suspect Warren Ellis played the biggest part in that considering how 'classical' it sounds. The Proposition is a lovely melancholic little album where there's a mix of instrumental and vocal. And the traditional folk songs on there are a real treat. They've captured that loneliness and longing for home from the film perfectly. I've got the Assassination of Jesse James but, truth be told, can't recall much from it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here