Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Self - Is he right to hate hipsters?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Yes, but it's far more appropriate to hate Will Self. The most pompous, self loving bore on the planet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is he back on the gear? Certainly writes like it.

Hipsters are harmless. Utterly self-centred, all take their input from all the same sources, shallow 2D caricatures but essentially harmless. Let them get on with it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Probably the biggest dick in the media these days and his books are shote as well.

Also a very vindictive person

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've always thought the only people who read Will Self are hipsters, cos no discerning person would go anywhere near him

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably the biggest dick in the media these days and his books are shote as well.

Also a very vindictive person

I'm in two minds about him. Part of me likes the idea that this entire diatribe stems from him getting the hump about the level of the music at the cafe where he took breakfast and the cafe's refusal to do anything about it. Part of me agrees with your sentiment. And in a media populated with Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson being the biggest dick takes some commitment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, but it's far more appropriate to hate Will Self. The most pompous, self loving bore on the planet.

Out of interest, have you ever come across Hove Born and Bred?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think young adults being up themselves didn't begin with Hipsters. For all the warm fuzzy glow people now have about the Hippy counter culture in the 60s, it could be very inward looking and beyond the 'peace, man' facade wasn't that inclusive.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And in a media populated with Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson being the biggest dick takes some commitment.

I can agree with that on the Piers Morgan front

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hipsters are modern art taken to its natural conclusion. Untalented, pretencious and attention seeking, lauded only by other idiots. imo he is close to nailing it

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Maybe. Probably yes. And 'Nathan Barley' was shit too, nowhere as food as the source/inspirational material form 'TV Go Home'.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe. Probably yes. And 'Nathan Barley' was shit too, nowhere as food as the source/inspirational material form 'TV Go Home'.

Why bring Nathan Barley in to a Will Self thread?
As to Will Self, he's a genius. Check out him on Orwell, which was one of the greatest assessments you'll come across.

Edit: The only other cultural figure in the UK that has more invention than Will Self is Chris Morris. With the possible exception of Danny Boyle.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
He shouldn't hate hipsters he should laugh at them, we have a few in the WSU, I'm sure there's more than one as they have different tattoos, I always have a snigger to myself when I see a hipster (clone ):lolol:

As for Will Self, the bloke is a cock.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This

As to Will Self, he's a genius. Check out him on Orwell, which was one of the greatest assessments you'll come across.

Edit: The only other cultural figure in the UK that has more invention than Will Self is Chris Morris. With the possible exception of Danny Boyle.

This too

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It would be nice if he wrote coherently, but he is far too clever for that I suppose. He moans about a lot of things unfortunately.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here