Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Milliband promises to increase minimum wage if elected

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He could promise it for next week for all the difference it will make, he won't get elected.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A welcome move in my opinion given the UK is becoming a nation of low-waged employment.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Him and his party are a joke. Just because Labour have fezzed up to all their cock ups from their last time in power, surely does not mean that the electorate will forget or trust so easily.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Him and his party are a joke. Just because Labour have fezzed up to all their cock ups from their last time in power, surely does not mean that the electorate will forget or trust so easily.

Why is rewarding hard working people from the current economic growth "a joke"? Surely any decent person and intelligent can not only see this is just but sensible.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It usually goes up twice a year, will be past 8 quid before 2020 at the current rate.

Seems a pointless statement from him

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Why is rewarding hard working people from the current economic growth "a joke"? Surely any decent person and intelligent can not only see this is just but sensible.

Nothing wrong with rewarding hard working people. The "joke" is the Labour party and Ed keep coming out with statements now........horse, stable door and bolted eh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing wrong with rewarding hard working people. The "joke" is the Labour party and Ed keep coming out with statements now........horse, stable door and bolted eh.

I'm not following what your point is. Ed has made a statement about what he will do when he is in power next year. Now seems a sensible time. Would you have preferred him to have made it 2-3 years back?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm not following what your point is. Ed has made a statement about what he will do when he is in power next year. Now seems a sensible time. Would you have preferred him to have made it 2-3 years back?

I would have preferred it if him and the party he was part of had not made the mistakes that they have since admitted to, when they were last in power. Had the chance to implement these ideas then, but just left the country in an awful mess.
Ed can promise what he wants, i expect many more juicy statements between now and the election.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It usually goes up twice a year, will be past 8 quid before 2020 at the current rate.

at the current rate of 3% increase, and assuming at least that, its due to be £7.99 in 2020. so he's promising to deliver what is already expected. a very pointless statement indeed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I don't think he wanted the fact it would only take effect in 2020 to be so widely reported and realised! It's a very positive little soundbyte, and will encourage favour from the voters who don't take the time to really understand what he's saying.

The problem that the Labour party now have is that they've appointed an unelectable leader. I don't like David Cameron, but he was obviously electable. He ended a long string of Conservative leaders who had absolutely no chance of being appointed as Prime Minister. Now Labour are being led by a man impossible to trust or believe in, they've no chance of success at a General Election until he's gone. I might be wrong, but I expect a Conservative government for the next decade at least, simply because that's how it tends to work. In a few elections' time the voters will bring Labour back in and bench the Conservatives but really, it doesn't make much difference.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
at the current rate of 3% increase, and assuming at least that, its due to be £7.99 in 2020. so he's promising to deliver what is already expected. a very pointless statement indeed.

Obviously fooled and pleased someone on here though. Nice one Ed.......:lolol:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Miliband is a busted flush on this issue because the electorate understand why we have a low wage problem in the UK. Miliband knows this only too well hence his statements earlier this year about Labours failures when in Government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/04/miliband-migrants_n_4542360.html

Miliband is absolutely right about low wages, given his past he is not the politician that should be moralising about it.

Its like John Terry talking about the importance of being faithful.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know it's just not possible, but in an ideal world I'd much rather he could reduce the MAXIMUM wage (not just for footballers) so we could have a more equitable society. Not saying everybody should have the same, it's just that the gap between the rich and the poor has now become obscene.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I know it's just not possible, but in an ideal world I'd much rather he could reduce the MAXIMUM wage (not just for footballers) so we could have a more equitable society. Not saying everybody should have the same, it's just that the gap between the rich and the poor has now become obscene.

Whilst that is not posible, increasing the minimum wage would be a major step in the right direction. At the end of the day it doesnt matter so much what the very richest earn but what the lowest paid earn. If at the lower end wages are adequate for a reasonable standard of living then society is going in the right direction. As an employer I would like to see very significant increases in the minimum wage. If it is enforced then it is the same for my competitors and then I can afford to pay a fair wage (we do in fact pay everyone above the living wage already) without being continuoulsy under cut as a result.
I started the thread because it really annoyed me that Milliband (as has already been pointed out) is only stating what will happen anyway under any government. If a labour Leader doesnt wenuinelywant to raise wages then what hope have the lower paid got?

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
politicians-befor-eand-after-getting-elected.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst that is not posible, increasing the minimum wage would be a major step in the right direction. At the end of the day it doesnt matter so much what the very richest earn but what the lowest paid earn. If at the lower end wages are adequate for a reasonable standard of living then society is going in the right direction. As an employer I would like to see very significant increases in the minimum wage. If it is enforced then it is the same for my competitors and then I can afford to pay a fair wage (we do in fact pay everyone above the living wage already) without being continuoulsy under cut as a result.
I started the thread because it really annoyed me that Milliband (as has already been pointed out) is only stating what will happen anyway under any government. If a labour Leader doesnt wenuinelywant to raise wages then what hope have the lower paid got?

I agree with most of this. Your last point about this rise happening anyway under any government needs some explanation though. My understanding is that wages at the lower end are stagnating (decreasing if you factor in inflation) i.e. if the current situation carries on then they will not increase.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Laudable stuff, however it does not look like you are competing in markets where your competitors are benefitting from the cost of labour in the Philippines, India and the like.

Not an easy balance to strike, however there are plenty of moving parts to solving the low wage problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here