Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami at Leverkusen

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
This is a genuine question, and I'm not making any Sami in/out points.

How does what is happening now with us compare with what happened under Sami at Leverkusen? I mean the squad rotations, tactics, publicly saying it's not good enough etc? Is he doing what he did there or is he trying something new? And if he is doing the same as he did there, is this the Sa,I who did really well or the Sami who got fired?

Honest, just genuine questions

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's Sami's win/lose/draw ratio over his last 15/20/30 games in charge?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
His overall record at Bayer Leverkusen was Played 90, Won 48 Drew 15 Lost 27, so a win ratio of just over 50%.

When he was sacked on the 5th April 2014 they'd won just 1 of their last 12 games in all competitions, including a run of 7 defeats in 8 games with just a draw in the middle of that run. Before the bad run they'd gone 17 games losing just twice and picking up 13 wins. Looks like he struggles to stop a bad run but when they are going well it certainly works.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
His overall record at Bayer Leverkusen was Played 90, Won 48 Drew 15 Lost 27, so a win ratio of just over 50%.

When he was sacked on the 5th April 2014 they'd won just 1 of their last 12 games in all competitions, including a run of 7 defeats in 8 games with just a draw in the middle of that run. Before the bad run they'd gone 17 games losing just twice and picking up 13 wins. Looks like he struggles to stop a bad run but when they are going well it certainly works.

So if you look at this record over a championship season we would finish with 79/80 points which is not bad.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
So if you look at this record over a championship season we would finish with 79/80 points which is not bad.

If he can turn around our current form. I've had a look at the one full season he spent in charge their and they did have a few runs where they couldn't win and then runs where they were almost impossible to beat. Looks as though its very up and down with long runs on the up and then long runs not picking up anything. Lets hope he can turn it around quickly.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

How many of those games were when he was in sole charge though? Didn't he work alongside someone in the first, more successful, season? Hopefully he can turn things around but I don't think chopping and changing the line-up constantly is any help at all at this stage.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
How many of those games were when he was in sole charge though? Didn't he work alongside someone in the first, more successful, season? Hopefully he can turn things around but I don't think chopping and changing the line-up constantly is any help at all at this stage.

The 1st season he worked alongside Sascha Lewandowski and win ratio was 56% and they finished 3rd.
2nd season win ration was 51%. There were a lot of runs either struggling to win or literally winning week in week out. They were 4th when he was sacked having been 2nd in the league but lost 7 in 8. Sascha Lewandowski came back in and they ended up in the Champions League position that was under threat.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The 1st season he worked alongside Sascha Lewandowski and win ratio was 56% and they finished 3rd.
2nd season win ration was 51%. There were a lot of runs either struggling to win or literally winning week in week out. They were 4th when he was sacked having been 2nd in the league but lost 7 in 8. Sascha Lewandowski came back in and they ended up in the Champions League position that was under threat.

Not bad in the 2nd season then bar that run. Don't mind sacrificing draws for more of a win or lose approach - as long as we start getting some wins :)

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not bad in the 2nd season then bar that run. Don't mind sacrificing draws for more of a win or lose approach - as long as we start getting some wins :)

He seemed to know his best 1 at Leverkusen and they gelled very well. Injuries and suspensions were part of the reason for the run and not being being able to fit other players into the system he was playing meant they struggled to be the quick counter attacking team they were.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

Question --- For what reason did Lewandowski leave, and why did he come back ????

Am I reading between the lines ? or was he no 2, but promoted to no 1 when Sami was sacked. ?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Lewandowski was number 2 to Hyypia but was there as he held the relevant badges and Hyypia did not at the time. Once Hyypia got them in March 2013 he went alone from that point and Lewandowski went back to the role he wanted which was working with the youth team. He stepped back up after Hyypia was sacked but stated he did not want the job full time and went back to the youth team again after a new coach was appointed this summer

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Question --- For what reason did Lewandowski leave, and why did he come back ????

Am I reading between the lines ? or was he no 2, but promoted to no 1 when Sami was sacked. ?

The strangest thing was when Hyypia came here without an established coaching team with him. How many managers go to new clubs solo? He needs a confident/trusted no 2 to tell him were his tactics are going wrong, and I don't mean Nathan Jones.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

I think his bad run started just after his assistant left him....See where I'm going with this???

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I think his bad run started just after his assistant left him....See where I'm going with this???

Sascha Lewandowski was never his assistant, they were in joint charge. Sami was Manager, Lewandowski was Head Coach, I don't know if they needed to go down this route because at the time of the appointment Sami didn't have the required coaching badges?

This stayed in place for the remained of the season they took over (2011-12 season) having been appointed in April 2012 and stayed this way until the end of the following season (2012-13) when Lewandowski returned to managing in the Bayer Leverkusen youth setup. Sami then took sole charge for the 2013-14 season and they were 4th when he was sacked, although that 4th place was under serious threat thanks to the poor run of just 1 draw from 8 games.

So it wasn't just after Lewandowski left the first team management setup that Hyypia was sacked. Lewandowski took over as caretaker manager for the last few games of the season and steered them to 4th place winning 4 and drawing 1 game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here