Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock man of the match yesterday

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I didn't catch it but were the match sponsors the institute of the blind? He was absolutely shocking. He wasted so many chances. For me Bruno was man of the match he was the only one who have it his all for 90 minutes yesterday. And to be honest the only player who looked like he should be playing in a team hoping to go up yesterday was Kez but once again no one was giving him any support.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'd suggest the man of the match 'award' often differs from that chosen by the majority of supporters

Blokes who have never been to a game who sit for the most part in the lounge getting tanked up and responding to their Mrs when asked "Oi Jim who should I vote for?" with "just chose whichever you think is the best looking, babe"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was it not muted that the MOM would be voted by supporters by text and anounced 2 mins before final whistle. Could it not be done automatically by dialing a number and then choosing option corresponding to players number.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Was it not muted that the MOM would be voted by supporters by text and anounced 2 mins before final whistle. Could it not be done automatically by dialing a number and then choosing option corresponding to players number.

One of the perks of being match sponsor. Can't see that bit changing for the time being, although their may be an "alternative" fans vote that comes later.

It wouldn't be difficult to have a text or online vote though

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of the perks of being match sponsor. Can't see that bit changing for the time being, although their may be an "alternative" fans vote that comes later.

It wouldn't be difficult to have a text or online vote though

Not being techie minded, as most would realise, I thought that the club would say it would be too time consuming and people involved to do this.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think generally the sponsors will go for a player who's scored a goal and if there isn't one to pick from they choose a defensive midfielder or defender. This lets them not really have to watch or understand the game.

Giving the award to a STRIKER in a game when we've quite spectacularly failed to find the net goes against the rules completely however and I can only assume they made a mistake.

Bruno probably edged it for me, although his almost costly mistake in the second half did rather count against him. But it's telling that even allowing for that I can't see that anyone else was more deserving to be honest.

At any rate, I don't take a lot of notice of the sponsor's MoM because it's essentially meaningless. I think a Man of the Match should be the best player, of EITHER team, on that day. And if we allow pissed up businessmen on a corporate jolly to pick from the 11 players who started for the Albion alone, then it will very rarely reflect the truth. Particularly given the way we're currently playing, as we're far more likely to see the best performing player coming from the opposition. Although granted that wasn't the case yesterday as pickings were very slim on both sides.

Blokes who have never been to a game who sit for the most part in the lounge getting tanked up and responding to their Mrs when asked "Oi Jim who should I vote for?" with "just chose whichever you think is the best looking, babe"

Spooky really, I've just had a drink with a guy who was sat on the table next to the sponsors. It was given to Baldock because he has nice eyes.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
They only voted him MOTM to get a reaction from the crowd.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Do you not think it was aimed at SH who took off a centre forward, when he could have chosen one of 4 defenders or two defensive midfielders who were all marking the same one man?

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
My understanding (from the man who has to read out the MoM winner) is that the sponsors get to meet the winner. So I guess yesterday they just wanted to meet the man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here