Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squad rotation

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I really don't get it.

First, the manager needs to find his best starting XI before even thinking about making minor adjustments depending on opposition.

Second, how can the players get use to each others style of play or thinking when we make so many changes in every game.

The players are professionals and should be able to play two games a week, in days gone by squads were much smaller and players regularly played in every game of the season now they play one get dropped to the bench and then recalled to start the next week, is this good for the players confidence. The only positions we don't rota are the centre halves and the keeper if they can play every minute of every game why can't the midfielders and strikers.

Please can we just find our best starting XL and stick to it.

I'm sure in the 70's or 80's Liverpool won the league with fifteen players, has the game changed that much over the years, I think not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I don't understand is Hyppia was banging on about saving legs a week ago. First, it's only the middle of September so why is there a need to save legs? Second, they'd just had a two week break. By all means field a second string team in the league cup but there is absolutely no need to "save legs" otherwise. If a footballer isn't fit to play 46 league games and a handful of FA Cup fixtures then he's literally not fit for purpose.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
They would not have such tired legs if they were winning would they? Massage the truth however you wish but he is changing the team around because they are not getting results and not playing well as a team.

Tiredness can be state of mind and borne out of confusion !!!

I thought generally our best players yesterday were those who were with the club last season and before. Let's face it the new recruits have been pretty much a disaster considering the financial investment in them.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What I don't understand is Hyppia was banging on about saving legs a week ago. First, it's only the middle of September so why is there a need to save legs? Second, they'd just had a two week break. By all means field a second string team in the league cup but there is absolutely no need to "save legs" otherwise. If a footballer isn't fit to play 46 league games and a handful of FA Cup fixtures then he's literally not fit for purpose.

Agreed up to a point. What he needs to do is choose his best 11, play them for several games together on the trot, then make 1 or 2 changes a game to give certain players a rest as required.
What I do think he needs to do is decide whether he is started with 1 or 2 DM's. Holla is key, but not sure Crofts and JFC are up to helping him out. Our best performance so far was when Bruno played next to him, so either go back to that, or start with Holla and Ince/Toko and build the rest of the team around that.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Agreed up to a point. What he needs to do is choose his best 11, play them for several games together on the trot, then make 1 or 2 changes a game to give certain players a rest as required.
What I do think he needs to do is decide whether he is started with 1 or 2 DM's. Holla is key, but not sure Crofts and JFC are up to helping him out. Our best performance so far was when Bruno played next to him, so either go back to that, or start with Holla and Ince/Toko and build the rest of the team around that.
This is my point, find your best team and select it every week, yes adjust a couple of position depending on opposition but five changes is just plain daft.
Play the front two together for four / five games and back them to produce the goods, not one in week and one out week.

I would even go further and reduce the squad size and bring in quality, yes it's a gamble but with the back room staff we have giving the players a first class fitness regime we should have fewer injuries and players being able to play more games.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It would appear that JFC is the first name on the team sheet irrespective of how he plays, not that he has done too bad recently.

He's nothing if not consistent. Even if that consistency is playing simple sideways and backwards passes. Have to say he played an absolutely beautiful ball to the back post in the second half yesterday. If someone got a head on that it would have been the pass of the season.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I thought this is one of the reasons we have pre-season friendlies, to rotate your squad around and decide on a team.

This is one of our downfalls so far - we havent got a settled team.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I thought this is one of the reasons we have pre-season friendlies, to rotate your squad around and decide on a team.

This is one of our downfalls so far - we havent got a settled team.
Pre season for whatever reasons was a complete shambles. Most of the players first game was the first league game, this is something the club needs to address for future seasons and give the manager a chance to find his best formation and XI (and of course stick to it).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I really don't get it.

First, the manager needs to find his best starting XI before even thinking about making minor adjustments depending on opposition.

Second, how can the players get use to each others style of play or thinking when we make so many changes in every game.

The players are professionals and should be able to play two games a week, in days gone by squads were much smaller and players regularly played in every game of the season now they play one get dropped to the bench and then recalled to start the next week, is this good for the players confidence. The only positions we don't rota are the centre halves and the keeper if they can play every minute of every game why can't the midfielders and strikers.

Please can we just find our best starting XL and stick to it.

I'm sure in the 70's or 80's Liverpool won the league with fifteen players, has the game changed that much over the years, I think not.

I doubt he knows his best 11 at the mo...but I agree the chopping and changing can't b doing a lot for building up a pattern of play etc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have a new training academy could he not arrange closed doors friendlies to try out combinatiions of players or even the Capital One Cup. Playing against young and 2nd tier premier sides we give him the chance to experiment.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not saying I agree with this, but if Sami is trying to work out what his best team is how else is he to do that other than by making changes each game?

But he drops players for the sake of dropping them. Ince played well at Ipswich and it allowed Hola to get forward more. So he drops him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But he drops players for the sake of dropping them. Ince played well at Ipswich and it allowed Hola to get forward more. So he drops him.

We agree on something well done. In the event of a counterattack it also gave us more protection to the wing backs Holla on the right and Ince on the left. Squad rotation is a word used for I dont know my best team after many attempts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here