Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS, Baldock and Colunga

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Can anyone shed any light on why we've got 3 players who seemingly play the exact same role at an average-good standard (at best - i'm being generous here) in the same position?

Bizarre recruitment.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think Colunga and Baldock are similar, yet CMS plays on the Shoulder of the last defender, had he been on from the start we may have been better. When he came on space appeared, we just couldn't finish.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Take a real good look at these 3 when they play. Yesterday, each of them were poised to burst out of the line on probably 20 occasions in total. They are never found by a ball from midfield or a ball over the top from the back. We have three explosive forwards but we just don't play to their strengths. Not since Vicente, has anyone played balls consistently into channels. Maybe Paddy might do this.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Can anyone shed any light on why we've got 3 players who seemingly play the exact same role at an average-good standard (at best - i'm being generous here) in the same position?

Bizarre recruitment.

I did not think it possible but McSmudger is getting worse,at least twice he just stood and watched the ball go wide without trying to run in and make sure of the goal, i am not sure that his brain is linked to his feet

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Everyone around us fell about laughing when Baldock got named MOM, possibly the worst home (full) debut in history!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I am afraid neither Baldock or Colunga has impressed me yet , mind you i think along with CMS they would all be better playing just off a big target man like Ulloa ,

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
None of those 3 would have scored if we had still been playing now - very worrying

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Baldock makes runs that Harry Potter couldn't Magic a ball to. Real lack of intelligence from our forwards yesterday but when you don't stretch a team it makes defending very easy. We may as well plant some nice perennials down our flanks as there as sod all else going on down there, lost count of the number of times Bruno or Bennett had it with only inside passes available. Bruno looked perplexed and wasn't until McCourt came on he had someone to work with.

And what has happened to Crofts? Has he been replaced with a doppelgänger!?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
To my mind CMS is still the best striker we have got as well. Until someone realizes that little men play off big men and you need a physical presence to play up front alone, we are always going to struggle. I was behind the appointment of Hyypia at first but the decision not to get an experienced assistant and promote Jones, looks like penny pinching again. And signings again up front looks totally unplanned an sloppy at best. Half of our team looks like an audition for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take a real good look at these 3 when they play. Yesterday, each of them were poised to burst out of the line on probably 20 occasions in total. They are never found by a ball from midfield or a ball over the top from the back. We have three explosive forwards but we just don't play to their strengths. Not since Vicente, has anyone played balls consistently into channels.
Is the right answer.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
We are like a poor version of Arsenal in the championship. We seem to have followed their lead and gone for recruiting very small players. We have no presence in the box and that's especially prevalent with the style we are playing - high balls everywhere.

I thought the game was crying out for a COG type player yesterday, someone to hold it up higher up the pitch and release to 1 or 2 smaller faster players. However, we are very unlikely to got anything out of a game, when at home we are playing it on the edge of our own box and then slowly creeping forward and then bang - high long cross field ball to someone - then it comes back to the edge of our box (then repeat).

Sami needs time and I am definitely not jumping for him to go. There is currently no set style and no best starting 11. And although its frustrating to watch, I don't agree with booing at the team you support.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We suspect (we have never seen it) CMS plays best off a big man. We were told by Navarro who knew Baldock from MK Dons that to get the best from him- he needs a big man. No idea about Colunga. O'Grady is not a big man - he prefers a Barnes type role I believe.

There just not seem to be joined up thinking somewhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wot about blooms statement of judge me at the end of the window well look at the table tony
At the end of the window people were overjoyed after seeing the signings we made. You were too in all probability.
Exactly. A few idiots were criticising TB for not bringing enough players in and he rightly said to make that judgement at the end of the window. Fans did judge at the end of the window and generally they were happy with the squad. There's no point criticising TB now that the squad we applauded aren't doing well.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
None of those 3 would have scored if we had still been playing now - very worrying

Can't see any of them getting anywhere near double figures, a long strenuous season lies ahead with a change of manager possible which just won't help. This is why you don't leave signing your players until the end of the window once the season has started

I did not think it possible but McSmudger is getting worse,at least twice he just stood and watched the ball go wide without trying to run in and make sure of the goal, i am not sure that his brain is linked to his feet

He really isn't very good, and it pains me to say it as I always thought at some point he would come good.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Sammy believes in squad rotation.The back 5 are not included in this as an understanding between them is vital for a consistent performance.
Why then do we rotate the midfield and attack therefore not allowing any sort of understanding to develop between the players?Colunga was at best woeful,Tex marginally better (not saying much really).At Ipswich Ince played deeper and allowed Holla to get forward,that seemed to work,so why drop Ince.
So get the best 11 and keep it so as they can play as a team and not look like a bunch of strangers collected together for a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here