Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 attempts on goal, was today really that bad?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wasn't at the game today but did we play that bad. Surely this is a confidence thing and we've had 2 games in a row where the opposition keep has had a blinding performance

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Wasn't at the game today but did we play that bad. Surely this is a confidence thing and we've had 2 games in a row where the opposition keep has had a blinding performance

From where I was sitting the Blackpool keeper had a couple of routine saves to make. Basically the forwards were shocking today and wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now :(. The keeper had a pretty easy day

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm slightly surprised at how poor people think we were, having just got back. OK, the first half was actually quite dull, with the best (only, excluding the free kick) chance right at the start, very tamely squandered. However, I thought the second half was extremely entertaining and we were pretty much camped in their final third, but just lacking a final ball or touch. We definitely should have won, but I'm not particularly worried at the moment, although I would be if I was demanding automatic promotion, but, luckily, I'm not.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I agree with the minute rodeo man. Thought we went on the attack for the opening spell of the second half with some real urgency and being on the verge of netting, which we of course didn't, but not for the lack of trying. Still, the timewasting keeper had not much to save, which was a disappointment. Wasn't a dreadful watch though.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I'm slightly surprised at how poor people think we were, having just got back. OK, the first half was actually quite dull, with the best (only, excluding the free kick) chance right at the start, very tamely squandered. However, I thought the second half was extremely entertaining and we were pretty much camped in their final third, but just lacking a final ball or touch. We definitely should have won, but I'm not particularly worried at the moment, although I would be if I was demanding automatic promotion, but, luckily, I'm not.

you may not have noticed that one of the worst teams in the league was down to 10 men for the last 10-12mins!!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I took my wife for her first game of the season. To be honest she knows little about football but has seen the team under Oscar. She just likes the day out and appreciates basics.

She felt today that there was no plan and that the players spent a lot of the time kicking the ball and wondering what would become of their effort. She reckoned that there was no real organisation or cohesion and that we badly missed Ulloa. It is difficult to argue with that.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Their goalie did make a couple of good saves in the second half but we should have given him far more problems than we did.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
you may not have noticed that one of the worst teams in the league was down to 10 men for the last 10-12mins!!

I did see that - happened after about 83 minutes. However, I wasn't surprised it didn't really change things for us. I don't really expect much, although I'm always hopeful - I've always prized unpredictability in football, although our lack of firepower is now starting to become a little predictable. Maybe we'll have a surprise against Forest?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Agree with this. I thought we pretty much laid seige on their goal for a lot of the second half - and were pretty unlucky. I usually try to avoid this place when we lose (or - in this case - don't win), as all the idiots come out of the woodwork.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apart from the 25 shots with 6 on target we had 15 corners but what the stats dont say is how many of these produced anything also how many went past the first man. Why does JFC take the corners? I think we would be better off having somebody like Bennett take the corners and leave JFC lurking on the edge of the box for the ball that comes out.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

The game I watched was a bit different to that, 5 or 6 maybe but no 25

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If ever there was an example where stats do not tell the story of a game yesterday is it. The truth is we could not break down an extremely poor Blackpool side over 90min with 15 of those being a man up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have we only scored 1 league goal from our strikers so far this season?

In the league, yes.

Sheff Wed: -
Cheltenham Town: Dunk, CMS
Birmingham: -
Leeds: Teixeira, LuaLua
Bolton: CMS, Teixeira
Swindon: Ince, Colunga, Forster-Caskey, Forster-Caskey
Charlton: Dunk, Dunk
Brentford: Greer, Holla
Ipswich: -
Blackpool: -

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Even though yesterday was pretty poor IMO and our record of 4 blank sheets from 8 and only one of our goals having been scored by a recognised forward, I still think with just one more addition to the squad we could have a decent season. I know they're like gold dust, but a recognised centre forward is all we need. Only O'Grady has any sort of record at Championship level and he can't even make the squad which says it all at the moment. The build up play was ok yesterday and we only really conceded 1 chance to the opposition so I'm not too worried yet. Find that elusive replacement for Ulloa and things will improve.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The movement up front yesterday was dreadful. With the system we play the front 3 of Tex, Baldock and Clunge should be pulling their back line all over the pitch to open up space for each other. At one point I saw 6 of our plyers in their half all stood in a line across the pitch, that is not how you attack and any team can defend it.

We moved the ball far too slowly for much of the game. Again that is how you open up space and by being too slow (which was our problem last season as well) it allows them to set their position out at the back.

Poor/non existant runs off the ball + moving the ball slowly = set defence and no goals.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here