Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players ratings

Trust in Tony

Banned
Aug 17, 2014
Worthing
I'm sorry to say but that was just dire against a terrible side. I am worried that the manager is not the right man to take us forward

Stockdale 6
Bruno 6.5
Dunk 6
Bennett 6
Greer 6
Holla 6
Tex 5
Crofts 3
Forster caskey 3
Colunga 3
Baldock 5

Subs
McCourt 6.5
Lua lua 7
Cms no rating as done **** all
Manager 0

Very pissed off dire tactics

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Player Ratings v Blackpool (h)

The ref didn't get nearly as much wrong as people want to believe. The free kick he gave against Greer was for the push Greer did just before the blackpool player received the ball, not for the great tackle that everyone seems to have thought it was. This coloured many people's opion of him. Because they thought he got that wrong, they just assumed he got every other foul wrong. He didn't.

Granted, he made a lot of decisions he didn't have to. He made the game more stop/start than it needed to be giving free kicks rather than letting the game flow by playing advantage, but many fo the decision people complained about were not necessarily wrong. He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes (he gave their forwards a last warning then let them make a couple more fouls before getting the card out)

I felt like we played like a team that wasn't entirely sure they wanted to score. Blackpool packed their box out time and again and we never, ever, ever have an answer for that. We didn't when west ham did it, not when wigan did it, not when blackpool did it. We don't have the creativity, movement, strength, or determination to break down a well or just moderately disciplined defence - even when they're down to 10 men.

I didn't see the Ipswich game or the Brentford game, but it sounds like with those games we pushed forward so much we were left exposed at the back. I can't tell if Blackpool had no interest, or if we just happened to overcompensate the other way, because there were times we were looking to counter attack and no one tried to get forward. When teams are packing their box every time you attack, counter attacking with pace before they get back and settled is even more important. But we just don't do that.

Stockdale 5- poor distribution, one on one save would be made by most keepers
Bruno 5- slip, lacked desire to get back
Greer 6- great to see him get forward near the end, but has no idea about offsides. No one could pass to him because he was always goal side
Dunk 6- good reading of the game, covering other players
Bennett 6- neat footwork and tricks
Holla 6- worked hard, but not spectacular
Crofts 6- seemed to stay more central rather than going out wide to support bruno all the time.
JFC 5- why on earth does he still take corner kicks? Just how awful must the rest of the players be at set pieces that JFC is seen as a good option?
Teixeira 6- flashes of skill, flashes of youthful inexperience
Colunga 5- could have single handedly changed this game by scoring in the first minute, but decided to softly cushion the ball into the keeper's hands
Baldock 5- Don't get the hate for his performance, but mainly because I thought everyone was disappointing and that MOTM could have gone to anyone

Lualua 6- two runs at blackpool, two yellow cards... no more runs at blackpool. Continued from last game with long range shots going well over
CMS 5- eh. Not sure he really affected the game
McCourt 6- promising, some neat interchanges and moves

I believe there is quality in the squad, it's just a matter of getting the players to perform. Finding that right mix of team selection, tactics, motivation, and while it may be frustrating for some to hear, time. I think some of our issues are about players' communication and reading of each others' tendencies.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Stockdale 6

Bruno 4
Greer 6
Dunk 7
Bennett 6

Holla 7
Crofts 3
JFC 4
Teixera 5

Colunga 4
Baldock 4

Subs:

Lua Lua 6
CMS 5
McCourt 6

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 7
Bennett - 6
Greer - 7 - MoM
Dunk - 6
Holla - 6
JFC - 5
Crofts - 5
Tex - 6
Colunga - 4
Baldock - 6

KLL - 6
McCourt - 7 - More class in 10 mins than the majority above showed in 90.
CMS - 5 - difficult for him to get into the game

Sami - 3 - Sorry Sami, but Blackpool were so deep Holla was redundant, he should have been pushed further forward much earlier, arguably even in the first half. JFC should have been withdrawn for McCourt with 20 to go......

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Stockdale -6- nothing to do for 75 minutes but made the save when called upon
Bruno -6- was our only player in the Blackpool box most the time
Greer -8- MOTM , made some great challenges , dictated the play , but got booked for a cynical challenge
Dunk -7- forming a good partnership with Greer.
Bennett -5- didn't have much to do defensively , got forward but no end product
Holla -7- like him a lot! Unlucky from free kick . What's the words to his song??
Crofts -7- ran in behind a few times, tried to make something happen
JFC -4- poor delivery from set pieces. Anonymous
Joao - 7- looked lively should have kept him on
Colunga -4- lightweight and missed an absolute sitter early on
Baldock -5- not a big enough presence got into the box with defender backing off and he passed it. Hes our number 9 , have a shot!!

Kaz -7- positive and made things happen. Won free kicks 8f only we were any good at them
CMS -5- did nothing of note
Paddy -6- great footballing brain think he will find the pass when we're struggling

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loads of mediocre 4's, 5's and 6's there.

Which doesn't sound like a team that ripped Blackpool apart, outclassing them, only denied by relentless blocks and bad luck ... as 'optimists' have painted the Albion performance on other threads.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stockdale. 5 Nothing to say his mark is only there due to it being the average mark but had nearly nothing to do and did that ok.
Bruno. 3 Offered nothing in the way of creative play and doesn't defend.
Greer 6 One of our best forwards in the team
Dunk 6 Our best forward
Bennett 5 Ok
Holla 5 Much better when playing with Ince
Crofts 4 Played out of position not his fault.
JFC 2 Not good enough
Texieira 5 ok but so weak
Colunga 4 Not very good
Baldock 1 Bottled it when in front of goal
Lua Lua 5 Played out of position, a common problem in this team
CMS 5 Funnily enough appeared on the wing often during his short time on the field, bizarre
McCourt 6 did more on the pitch in the short time he was on than many others.

Hyypia 0 You worry me sir.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 6 -- unlike Acker, thought his distribution was good
Bruno 5
Greer 7 -- he's having a good season
Dunk 5.5 -- a few mistakes, not his best game, but we have to stick with him
Bennett 7.5 -- MotM
Holla 6
JFC 4.5 -- he just doesn't hurt the opposition. His corners were better than they normally are, which isn't saying much
Crofts 5 -- lots of effort, but a really heavy touch when McCourt played him in
Colunga 4 -- I like him, but it didn't work today. Terrible miss. Oh, how it could have been different
Baldock 5 -- looks too much like CMS to me
Teixiera 5 -- not his best game, too much didn't work out. I still would have kept him on for longer

KLL 7.5 -- excellent cameo, with good decision-making
CMS n/a
McCourt 6 -- some great touches, amazing vision, a few questionable decisions

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Loads of mediocre 4's, 5's and 6's there.

Which doesn't sound like a team that ripped Blackpool apart, outclassing them, only denied by relentless blocks and bad luck ... as 'optimists' have painted the Albion performance on other threads.

Game of opinions and all.

We had a lot of possession, but no guile. For me, "tearing a team apart" requires actually scoring, or at the very least playing in such a way you're pulling opposition players all over the pitch, running through them at ease. We weren't doing that as far as I saw. We laboured, we were slow on the counter giving them plenty of time to get back, and they were not forced to chanse anything, they weren't pulled out of position, we couldn't break them down, and only a couple of our shots really tested their keeper.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
All 6 except...
Holla 8 MOTM
Baldock 7 but played too deep - makes excellent runs, but rest of side seems to ignore them

Kaz and Paddy looked very gos when they came on.
Tex - think we found out today why he isn't yet in Liverpool first squad - afraid to shoot

too many crosses going over for our short forwards, and not enough backing up in the penalty area.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Stockdale 6
Bruno 5
Greer 7
Dunk 7
Bennet 7
Holla 6
Crofts 5 dismal again
JFC 5 ditto
Colunga 4 terrible miss: after that, nothing
Baldock 5 MoM my arse
Texeira 6

LuaLua 7
CMS waste of time
McCourt 7

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The ref didn't get nearly as much wrong as people want to believe. The free kick he gave against Greer was for the push Greer did just before the blackpool player received the ball, not for the great tackle that everyone seems to have thought it was. This coloured many people's opion of him. Because they thought he got that wrong, they just assumed he got every other foul wrong. He didn't.

How about Baldock's early booking? Looked from where I was like he was booked for not diving but a mate said afterwards it was handball as did another aquaintence in the train queue. It that the case? People round me lost it with him after the Baldock booking not the Greer tackle (am in WSU North end, others in WSL and ESL respectively).

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Stockdale 6
Bruno 6.5
Dunk 6
Bennett 6
Greer 7.5
Holla 6
Tex 6
Crofts 6
Jake 5
Colunga 5
Baldock 4

Subs
McCourt 7
Lua lua 7.5
Cms 6
Sami 2

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Stockdale 6

Bruno 5.5
Greer 6
Dunk 6
Bennett 6

Holla 6
Crofts 5
JFC 4

Colunga 3
Baldock 4
Texeira 6

LuaLua 7
CMS 6
McCourt 6.5

If Blackpool are a gauge on where we are then we will be fighting relegation.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Find it difficult to mark players who are being asked to play roles that are foreign to them. Play the players in a system they understand and can perform in

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Game of opinions and all.

We had a lot of possession, but no guile. For me, "tearing a team apart" requires actually scoring, or at the very least playing in such a way you're pulling opposition players all over the pitch, running through them at ease. We weren't doing that as far as I saw. We laboured, we were slow on the counter giving them plenty of time to get back, and they were not forced to chanse anything, they weren't pulled out of position, we couldn't break them down, and only a couple of our shots really tested their keeper.

I wasn't there, but you've described many of our home performances in the Amex era. Under 3 different management teams, in the main we haven't cracked the offensive side of our game, lacking pace and quick (FORWARD, NOT SIDEWAYS OR BACK, THINKING) decision making. Making it easier for opposing managers and their defences to set their teams and tactics. I don't have the answers being just a fan and punter, but hopefully sooner rather than later, our team management will.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I go with Acker 79's ratings

Bruno was pretty poor, apart from the 1 save Stockdale had nothing to do and was distracting at the end when coming forward only to pass the ball to Bruno or Greer - All that did was make everyone wait to work out where the ball was going to go .

CMS ran about aimlessly too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here