Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After the referendum,should 16yo get the vote ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I believe they should. You're eligible to start a working career, but not deemed mature enough to vote on real issues that will affect their paths.

Sixteen is not immature. They might address some balance to the people who will always vote for the same party, regardless of what they stand for.

BG. Most people will vote for what suits them, whether practical or not.

How about banning those over the age of 65? They'll more than likely be dead before their choice implements any sort of change.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With age hopefully comes maturity and a more logical mind. Hence most of the Yes votes in Scotland were reported to have come from the young. When this comes up again in 20 years time they will all be older and likely to vote No.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Given how they spectactularly managed to cock-up the Scottish result - No!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im going to mix it up - yes, but only if in work.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes. For the following reasons :

1. There's plenty of adults of many more years in age that have less of a clue about politics than 16 year olds.
2. With fixed 5 year parliaments it's wrong that someone could be 21 years old before they can vote.
3. You can die for your country at 18 and join the armed forces at 16.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
With age hopefully comes maturity and a more logical mind. Hence most of the Yes votes in Scotland were reported to have come from the young. When this comes up again in 20 years time they will all be older and likely to vote No.

To be fair, you seem to prove that the opposite of what you have said is true, on a quite regular basis.

No offence.

Who are you to tell those Scottish people who voted 'yes' that this was a sign of immaturity? It is better for us, here, that they stayed with us, in my opinion. Who knows if it is better for them? Not you, certainly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
With age hopefully comes maturity and a more logical mind. Hence most of the Yes votes in Scotland were reported to have come from the young.

younger might apply, but the polling showed 16-17 yo where 55-60% No voters.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As the parent of a 16 year old, I am definitely in the NO camp on this. Mine is a very intelligent young man, but their world view is so very narrow. Far too narrow to make an informed choice at an election, I'd say.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
To be fair, you seem to prove that the opposite of what you have said is true, on a quite regular basis.

No offence.

Who are you to tell those Scottish people who voted 'yes' that this was a sign of immaturity? It is better for us, here, that they stayed with us, in my opinion. Who knows if it is better for them? Not you, certainly.

No offence, but I would ban Bensgrandad from voting as he is clearly a liability as he has proven over the years.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As the parent of a 16 year old, I am definitely in the NO camp on this. Mine is a very intelligent young man, but their world view is so very narrow. Far too narrow to make an informed choice at an election, I'd say.

If you discounted narrow voters, most of the population would be discounted.

Perhaps we need to move towards politics that caters for 16 year olds. Statistically, they will have more years than the general voter, so it would be positive to give them a chance to have a say in what they do.

They are also better placed to vote according to educational issues than the regular parent.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Difficult to decide but if they did, there should be other electoral reforms including compulsory voting (inclusive of the 'none of the above' option), changing the day; for example have polling stations from Friday afternoon through to Saturday afternoon or maybe even over two days. I have absolutely no idea why elections have to be on a Thursday.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Difficult to decide but if they did, there should be other electoral reforms including compulsory voting (inclusive of the 'none of the above' option), changing the day; for example have polling stations from Friday afternoon through to Saturday afternoon or maybe even over two days. I have absolutely no idea why elections have to be on a Thursday.

Compulsory voting? Bloody Hell, I reserve the right to do what the fck I want to.

I'm with you on the Thursday thing though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I'd agree with this. I have a 16 yo at home, and a 20 yo that is incidentally at Uni in Edinburgh and voted (loves Edinburgh, loves Scotland and plans to stay there when Uni is over) with a whole stream of rational reasons for her decision. The difference between the two is very significant - 16 is too young to vote.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

How is forcing people to vote democratic ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here