Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Summertime

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Seeing as our northern, ginger cousins have decided that they really are better off after all by staying with Good Old Blighty, and that they will be getting more devolved powers anyway, can we ask for something back in return?

From now on, can we have permanent BST and in addition a further hour during the summer months? Stuff the Jocko's and their whinging about farming on winter mornings, or having to go to work in the dark! You have shown your true colours and decided that you get a better deal with us than without, is an hours daylight too much to ask in return for the extra £1600 spend per head of public money north of the border? Let alone the further powers that will be granted to you in future. Perhaps a little bit of that £1600 can be used to buy each of you a nice little, natty fluro number for the winter months.........

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Greenwich Meantime is named after Greenwich in London. The ball on the Observatory drops at midday to denote the time where the rest of the world get their time zones from.
Summertime was invented to help with the war and has carried on. We had double summer time in the winter of 70/71 and it was awful.
We are the trend setters in the world so let's stick to that and keep GMT.

There are only a certain number of daylight hours in the depth of winter so you wouldn't get an extra hours daylight, it would just be at the wrong end of the day

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Greenwich Meantime is named after Greenwich in London. The ball on the Observatory drops at midday to denote the time where the rest of the world get their time zones from.
Summertime was invented to help with the war and has carried on. We had double summer time in the winter of 70/71 and it was awful.
We are the trend setters in the world so let's stick to that and keep GMT.

There are only a certain number of daylight hours in the depth of winter so you wouldn't get an extra hours daylight, it would just be at the wrong end of the day
I would rather have that hour at 4pm than 7.30am in winter.

And summertime light at 5 rather than 4am, not dark till 11 rather than 10 pm, definate winner!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would rather have that hour at 4pm than 7.30am in winter.

And summertime light at 5 rather than 4am, not dark till 11 rather than 10 pm, definate winner!

We get 8 hours of daylight in December & January so it would be 8-4 or 9-5. Kids would be going to school in the pitch black. At least by 4pm most of the youngsters are home.

We had Double Summer Time in 70-72 and everyone moaned about it, so it reverted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Btw those daylight hours are for Kent. It's even worse further north, let alone Scotland.

esources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/weather/sunshine.htm

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Btw those daylight hours are for Kent. It's even worse further north, let alone Scotland.

Would that 'everyone' consist mainly of those north of Watford?

And, we are further south than Kent :whistle:

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
By not putting the clocks back at the end of October, we would be able to offer a lot more after school sport. Traditionally, school football, rugby netball matches etc stop between November until well into February because of a lack of daylight. I would have thought that in order to encourage our kids to be more active, an extra hour of daylight in the afternoon would be a positive step.
I'd put the clocks forward in March to enjoy lighter summer evenings.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
79 other countries around the world do the same. I always thought it was a British thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this daft arguement comes around every year. we benefit from the light in the morning and wouldnt benefit materially from an extra hour in the late afternoon through the winter. leave it be.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I really can't see that the dim, fading light hanging around until 5pm rather than 4pm in winter will make the slightest bit of difference.

No need to change it IMHO.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I really can't see that the dim, fading light hanging around until 5pm rather than 4pm in winter will make the slightest bit of difference.

No need to change it IMHO.

of course it would , an hour extra day light in the afternoon in the middle of winter yes please

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
of course it would , an hour extra day light in the afternoon in the middle of winter yes please

"Daylight" at 4pm in December is hardly going to be the stuff of BBQs and cricket matches though, is it? I bet you'll find it miserable getting up and leaving for work at 8am when it's still pitch black outside.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Up in northern Scotland they only get about 6 hours of daylight in the middle of winter , it may get dark down south at 4pm but even 250 miles north in places like Liverpool , Manchester , Leeds and Hull it is dark at 3.30 pm. I think we need a referendum in England & Wales on changing to GMT+1 all year round effectively putting us in the same time zone as mainland Europe (France , Germany , Spain , Italy etc)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seeing as our northern, ginger cousins have decided that they really are better off after all by staying with Good Old Blighty, and that they will be getting more devolved powers anyway, can we ask for something back in return?

From now on, can we have permanent BST and in addition a further hour during the summer months? Stuff the Jocko's and their whinging about farming on winter mornings, or having to go to work in the dark! You have shown your true colours and decided that you get a better deal with us than without, is an hours daylight too much to ask in return for the extra £1600 spend per head of public money north of the border? Let alone the further powers that will be granted to you in future. Perhaps a little bit of that £1600 can be used to buy each of you a nice little, natty fluro number for the winter months.........

From a selfish point I would like hours changed but on a pedantic note, I think you will find that the Scottish farmers probably voted to keep the union.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here