Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread (full) of your favourite light music

Remember the golden age of light music, the Light Programme on the BBC, Childrens Favourites etc. Probably like me you are far too young to have experienced it first hand :whistle: but perhaps for some reason have tunes from that era that you have heard and stuck in your head. Like this one perhaps.

or even this

What's yours (mine's a Harvey's).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's a funny thing, they say that people become more and more like their parents over time, l started off back in the 70's liking heavy metal, now l love Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.

Worrying don't you think?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's a funny thing, they say that people become more and more like their parents over time, l started off back in the 70's liking heavy metal, now l love Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.

Worrying don't you think?

Whisper it quietly, but I have recently been listening to a few of my late dad's James Last records :eek:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A timeless classic .........

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How about this old gem.......

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember telling my uncle who played the harp at the Sadlers Wells theatre about a great record Stanger on the Shore by Acker Bilk. He listened to it then tore it apart from the musical notes that he said where wrong. After he pointed it out I thought it was a load of rubbish but I still enjoy hearing it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A timeless classic .........

I would not class that as light music. It's jazz which might appeal to fans of light music.

I don't "do" light music, but I also don't like categorising things too tightly - there's no hope.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would not class that as light music. It's jazz which might appeal to fans of light music.

I don't "do" light music, but I also don't like categorising things too tightly - there's no hope.

It is a jazz version of a Light classic, heard in lifts everywhere, played by Mariachi bands everywhere !

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It is a jazz version of a Light classic, heard in lifts everywhere, played by Mariachi bands everywhere !

I would have said it was Jazz which became light music - it had Stan Getz, a jazz saxophonist, on the original hit recording.

This is partly why I don't agree with over-classifying things. Things don't have to fit in little boxes. And it doesn't matter that much anyway. I would not stop liking Girl from Ipanema - great tune - just because someone told me it was light music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here