Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t George Groves

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
For all his detractors you can't really knock George Groves, off the back of two defeats against Froch he's not gone down the easy route of a Mexican roadsweeper fight, instead he's at Wembley tomorrow night for a European title fight which is also a world title eliminator for a crack at Dirrell.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Rebrasse, according to those of knowledge about these things, is not a great fighter. It will be interesting to see if the Gingerbread Man has lost his way, given that he still hasn't won a fight since parting from Booth. Paddy is a diamond geezer but he still, I think, hasn't won a pro fight as a trainer in something like six tries.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Rebrasse is no mug, but his knockout record speaks for itself. George should come through this easy. I think he will go through the younger Dirrell as well unless he gets done on a hometown points descision. The one thing I really hope he does is try to become a bit more likeable in the eyes of the casual fan. For the Degale fight he was a lot more humble with none of the shite talking we saw in the Froch fights. I can see why he did it - to sell the fight (and in turn his name), but he's a name now, so I hope he reverts to being a bit more respectful and likeable now. Would love to see him get the WBC, defend it against a couple of big names then take on Froch again (if he hadn't retired by then), or better yet knock out that absolute wanker James Degale.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Decent fight thus far, Groves is generally looking comfortable.

That band in the background are annoying though.

D

Deleted member 18477

So he won... And then called out Froch again! :lolol: let it go George!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
So he won... And then called out Froch again! :lolol: let it go George!

I actually thought Froch was a bit disrespectful with his comments. I doubt we will see Froch/Groves 3 but a Degale rematch must be on the cards in 2015, won't fill Wembley but would probably sell 30,000 to 40,000 at a London football ground.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I actually thought Froch was a bit disrespectful with his comments. I doubt we will see Froch/Groves 3 but a Degale rematch must be on the cards in 2015, won't fill Wembley but would probably sell 30,000 to 40,000 at a London football ground.

Froch will batter Degale. IMHO.

D

Deleted member 18477

De gale is a good fighter. But he's not the super fight Froch wants. Can't wait for Froch to announce his next fight.

I would also love to see de gale v groves II.

The wembley fight was a one off because of the controversial ending in the first Froch v groves fight. And also because both fighters sold the fight big time! Hats off to both of them but groves should let that go now and concentrate on being a world champion elsewhere and become one of the best in the division. Forget Froch. He's got 1 or 2 more fights then he's done!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
De gale is a good fighter. But he's not the super fight Froch wants. Can't wait for Froch to announce his next fight.

I would also love to see de gale v groves II.

The wembley fight was a one off because of the controversial ending in the first Froch v groves fight. And also because both fighters sold the fight big time! Hats off to both of them but groves shHould let that go now and concentrate on being a world champion elsewhere and become one of the best in the division. Forget Froch. He's got 1 or 2 more fights then he's done!

Agree fully with that, Froch needs to realise, but doubt he will, that Groves ultimately pushed for the Wembley rematch and with the backstory sold the majority of the 80,000 tickets. Go back to last November and had Groves just accepted the stoppage none of us old be debating this.

My one concern with Groves, touched on previously in this thread, is Paddy Fitzpatrick, I don't think he's up to it at the level that George is at now. He's either got to make his peace with Adam Booth or go down an established route like Jimmy Tibbs, Tony Sims or even Joe Gallagher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here