Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kickstarter

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do any NSC'ers ever use this for causes/ideas they like, or alternatively to raise money?

I've stuck a few quid into a film about a band I like, :cool: and for a game which seemed to take ages to come to fruition :blush:. There's a certain earnestness about it that I both like and dislike.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I put in for a sensible software book as a big retro gamer and SWOS fan.

Book was a big disappointment, ebook was £10 donation, regular book was £20 I think.

Badly written, like an NME article, which I suppose makes sense with Jon hare truly believing he's a rock star

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I put in for a sensible software book as a big retro gamer and SWOS fan.

Book was a big disappointment, ebook was £10 donation, regular book was £20 I think.

Badly written, like an NME article, which I suppose makes sense with Jon hare truly believing he's a rock star
If you are into retro games then you may well enjoy From Bedrooms to Billions - a film that was funded via IndeGoGo and Kickstarter and is due for its premiere on Thursday. I had backed it already and when I was off after a foot operation, I got involved in recording game footage for them. Ant and Nic have spent years and years trying to get this project made and the bits I have seen it looks to be the definitive film about British retro gaming development.

http://www.frombedroomstobillions.com/

I have also got a few retro gaming books but not the Sensi one. I got the Ocean software book, a C64 Commpendium (sic) as well as preorders on a Spectrum and US Gold book. I have also backed an Online Poker movie and another history of video games film as well as chucking a few quid the way of a lady with ME who sends handwritten, supportive letters to people who really need them.

Kickstarter is a great way of getting projects that wouldn't otherwise get off the ground funded. Just a shame so many are US based and the postage is prohibitive.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
^^^ I backed that! :)

Here's the book

image.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
^^^ I backed that! :)
Hopefully the Albion feature quite a bit as in amongst the hundreds of videos clips I sent them were quite a few football games! Probably only on screen for a few seconds but I had to wedge the Albion in everywhere possible. Ant is obsessive about this project and I sent him a couple more videos last week as he wants it to be perfect. Hopefully you won't be disappointed and I am really looking forward to the Premiere on Thursday at Earls Court. It weighs in at 2hrs 30mins before you even start on the extra features so you will get your money's worth.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sure I will - stoked for it :) and thanks for putting in all that effort on behalf of the mighty Albion

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i backed Elite: Dangerous, which will looking bloody brilliant. despite the awful name.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I backed a book about the C86 scene. So far, I've got three CDs out of it and will get a signed copy of the book when it comes out next year, with a credit to ME in it. Which seems a bit over the odds given the paltry sum I donated, but I'm not going to lie: I have never been credited in a book before. It'll come out at every dinner party I ever host until my death. I considered investing in a film I was interested in, but couldn't decide which package I preferred, and ended up not contributing at all. I do get a slightly smug sense of being patron to the arts from it, but I think that's pretty harmless. Overall, I like it a lot.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I backed a book about the C86 scene. So far, I've got three CDs out of it and will get a signed copy of the book when it comes out next year, with a credit to ME in it. Which seems a bit over the odds given the paltry sum I donated, but I'm not going to lie: I have never been credited in a book before. It'll come out at every dinner party I ever host until my death. I considered investing in a film I was interested in, but couldn't decide which package I preferred, and ended up not contributing at all. I do get a slightly smug sense of being patron to the arts from it, but I think that's pretty harmless. Overall, I like it a lot.

I feel pretty much the same. The project is about some people I like, the film makers are good guys, and I end up with my name in IMDB as an executive producer of a film, and get to attend the premiere (which will probs be somewhere such as Barnsley), and a signed copy of some stuff.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Do any NSC'ers ever use this for causes/ideas they like, or alternatively to raise money?

I've stuck a few quid into a film about a band I like, :cool: and for a game which seemed to take ages to come to fruition :blush:. There's a certain earnestness about it that I both like and dislike.
If its the Augustines I am happy to marry you if you become single.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I feel pretty much the same. The project is about some people I like, the film makers are good guys, and I end up with my name in IMDB as an executive producer of a film, and get to attend the premiere (which will probs be somewhere such as Barnsley), and a signed copy of some stuff.

Sounds pretty good to me. I do like going through the packages on offer. By the time you get to the bottom - the big ticket items - it's a bit like the prizes on The Gadget Show: meet the cast AND spend a day learning about animation AND get a bit of straw from the scarecrow in the film signed by Uncle Monty AND get a DVD by someone else who's connected to someone, etc, etc. However it can offer something you'd never dream of being able to do. It's an interesting marketplace and for the price of an evening out you can get a shedload of unbelievable stuff whilst helping to create something new.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A local knitwear startup (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/530815037/kubixl-british-knitwear) achieved its total last month. I backed it and got a nice hat out of it.

Kickstarter's a good thing if done well; a chance to raise some half decent bunce, to engage with a potential customer base and also to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Good man - I got in touch with them to ask about an Albion themed or coloured hat - seems to be an obvious gap in their range.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've stuck some money into a few films, two restaurants, a pub, half a dozen books and three local (to Cambridge) shops, with very mixed results. I enjoy skimming the site to see what's new and helping out where I have some connection (however loose) with what's being offered. As a site and concept, I think it works really well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I pledged some money on two local bands. Both reached their targets of £20k & £10k respectively.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/678193853/bitter-ruin-build-studio-and-make-music ended up with £33k.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdeatsbaby/birdeatsbaby-the-bullet-within ended up with £11k.

It's a good way to take cash orders for a product in advance of producing something, and it makes the funders feel part of the project. Definitely proves its worth in the independent music industry.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hmm, £30 for the Blu-Ray? I think I will pass. Discovery or Nat Geo will probably be screening it within 6 months!
Not sure but they are offering it free to all schools to try and inspire kids to take up programming. I agree it can be seen as expensive but economies of scale and the amount of time they have put into it are probably the reason. Be sad if it does get snapped up by a channel after they turned down the premise for years - hence the need for crowd funding.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Yes i back a mmo game last year, managed to raise over 2.8 million dollars. And backed a very clever system to teach Chinese.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here