Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Miliband

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
....just watched his speech, I just cannot warm to the bloke, I've tried but I cant. Lots of sound bites over substance for me.

Surely Labour are not going to head into the next General Election with this bloke at the helm.

Can anyone really see him as PM, and performing on the world stage? Embarrassing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
....just watched his speech, I just cannot warm to the bloke, I've tried but I cant. Lots of sound bites over substance for me.

Surely Labour are not going to head into the next General Election with this bloke at the helm.

Can anyone really see him as PM, and performing on the world stage? Embarrassing.

Definitely not but let's look at his rivals. Lib Dems have Nick Clegg, the Tories David Cameron and with Boris Johnson waiting in the wings, SNP have Salmond and UKIP have Farage. What an embarrassment of riches we have when it comes to our political leaders.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
The Labour Party definitely elected the wrong brother in their leadership contest.

IMO David Milliband is much more of a political heavyweight and would have made an excellent leader.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On a related subject, I was abroad last week and saw a couple of TV interviews with DAVID Miliband for whichever body it is he represents now, possibly in the US.

What the f**k were Labour thinking. He is sharp, polished, intelligent, has a clear vision on all manner of world issues and some gravitas, all the things Ed doesn't have. It's no wonder we don't see him much on the TV over here, Labour obviously know how clear the mistake was and have somehow persuaded him to keep a low profile to avoid unfavourable comparisons. Who knows how long that can last.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
On a related subject, I was abroad last week and saw a couple of TV interviews with DAVID Miliband for whichever body it is he represents now, possibly in the US.

What the f**k were Labour thinking. He is sharp, polished, intelligent, has a clear vision on all manner of world issues and some gravitas, all the things Ed doesn't have. It's no wonder we don't see him much on the TV over here, Labour obviously know how clear the mistake was and have somehow persuaded him to keep a low profile to avoid unfavourable comparisons. Who knows how long that can last.

David Milliband has decided that the world is missing Thunderbirds, having taken up the position of CEO at The International Rescue Committee.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Who was the last PM not to embarass us on a world stage?

SAC

May 21, 2014
David Milliband was seen as being too close to the old regime of Blair and Brown but would have been a much better statesman. Ed probably has the better politics (IMO) but struggles with presentation.

Agree with Buzzer that none of the leaders have much going for them. Clegg was probably seen as the best and could well have done quite well if he hadn't jumped into bed with the Tories. He, and the Libs, are doomed for another generation now.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Very clever man (apparently) but he is not a public speaker.
Horrible, horrible thought to think he could be in charge of the country

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going to agree with Buzzer and Ernest.
Yes, we're not exactly overwhelmed with great choices at present (although as much as I loathe him, I think Osborne is an astute politician and operator)
And yes, David is obviously much slicker than Ed, but David's a neoliberal, whereas Ed probably isn't, but doesn't seem bold enough to go ahead with breaking the New Labour mould.
The thing about Ed is that amongst the ocean of failure to connect with the public that has defined his leadership of the Labour Party, he has had two moments when he has done, at the last two conferences. There is a conference approaching, the last one before the election. He not only needs to rise to the level he's attained at the last two, but maintain it thereafter. Otherwise, it's another Tory-led parliament, which might please some, but fills me with dread.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
hopefully he will stay in charge and keep on running the Labour ship.

The Tory and far left Labour support are at least in agreement that he is a total bellend

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
David Milliband was seen as being too close to the old regime of Blair and Brown but would have been a much better statesman. Ed probably has the better politics (IMO) but struggles with presentation.

Agree with Buzzer that none of the leaders have much going for them. Clegg was probably seen as the best and could well have done quite well if he hadn't jumped into bed with the Tories. He, and the Libs, are doomed for another generation now.

This. But it does highlight the question: is politics (now) about presentation, or is it about ideas?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Flag-waving Labour numpty here.

Even I can't bring myself to vote for him. He'd be an INCREDIBLY weak PM. Labour need someone else pronto. I really don't see their front bench as vaguely electable at the moment which is a disgrace when you consider how vulnerable the Tories have been for years now.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
hopefully he will stay in charge and keep on running the Labour ship.

The Tory and far left Labour support are at least in agreement that he is a total bellend

Unlike Cameron, Clegg and Farage who are all incredibly clever and groovy?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Who was the last PM not to embarass us on a world stage?

David Cameron (particularly when he "engages" with the EU) succeeds every time :lolol:

My personal favourite was when he sucked up to the US by declaring that World War II started in 1942.....thereby totally disrespecting his own nation and it's allies' sacrifice over the preceding three years. :nono:

Last edited:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Definitely not but let's look at his rivals. Lib Dems have Nick Clegg, the Tories David Cameron and with Boris Johnson waiting in the wings, SNP have Salmond and UKIP have Farage. What an embarrassment of riches we have when it comes to our political leaders.

I like David Cameron.

(I should probably avoid NSC for the rest of the day)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here