Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English Votes For English Questions-A promise from the PM?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Did i just hear Cameron correctly outside No 10

has he just promised an end to the West Lothian question

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
About time too.

I'm really pleased we still have a UK this morning, but Scottish MPs should not be allowed to vote on English issues.

Gauntlet thrown down to the Labour Party who will oppose this?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cue more muddled thinking and an extra layer of bureaucracy which has to be paid for by all of us on a voting turnout of 30% in local government. You almost have to admire Vladamir Putin's way of doing things, Control the media, crush any internal opposition, wave the Russian flag and do whatever takes his fancy.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Cue more muddled thinking and an extra layer of bureaucracy which has to be paid for by all of us on a voting turnout of 30% in local government. You almost have to admire Vladamir Putin's way of doing things, Control the media, crush any internal opposition, wave the Russian flag and do whatever takes his fancy.

whats local government turnout got to do with the West Lothian question? :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course that is assuming that all laws that affect England are voted on by any UK mp's let alone English mps.

Ps. I am not in any shape or form a UKIP supporter!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And all the time the Tories are coming up with "solutions" to this new mess they'll be doing it not only hastily but with one eye on measures to reduce the effectiveness and threat of UKIP.

TopCat

Jun 17, 2011
Regionalism probably isnt the answer but wouldn't it be simple enough to have a split House of Commons? E.g. Mon to Weds English MPs debate English issues, Thurs and Fri all UK MPs can debate whole-UK issues. May reduce the requirement for a lot of second homes in London if some MPs only need to sit for 2 days as well!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
whats local government turnout got to do with the West Lothian question? :shrug:

The West Lothian question can only be resolved by the formation of an English parliament with the power to decide the major laws for England in the way of the devolved parliaments that have been formed in Scotland and Wales. That would theoreticlly give us a series of government in the form of town councils, local government councils, a council/government for England, a United Kingdom parliament and an European parliament.

This will result in more voter apathy as the water get ever more muddy with elected representatives on multitudinous levels. You may currently know your local MP but I expect you could not name any of your town councillor/ county councillor/European parliament MEP representatives. So we get another bland layer of government that no one really cares about. Does that help ?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The West Lothian question can only be resolved by the formation of an English parliament with the power to decide the major laws for England in the way of the devolved parliaments that have been formed in Scotland and Wales. That would theoreticlly give us a series of government in the form of town councils, local government councils, a council/government for England, a United Kingdom parliament and an European parliament.

This will result in more voter apathy as the water get ever more muddy with elected representatives on multitudinous levels. You may currently know your local MP but I expect you could not name any of your town councillor/ county councillor/European parliament MEP representatives. So we get another bland layer of government that no one really cares about. Does that help ?

not really,but thanks for trying

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

This is a real opportunity to overhaul British & English politics.
An English Parliament is the only way to decide purely English matters, you cannot fudge it by using the English part of the UK Parliament to decide English matters.

The number of MP's can be cut by having larger constituencies for the UK Parliament, and different constituencies for the English Parliament, perhaps electing 5 English MP's per constituency to get a better representation, and maybe even some representation for minority groups?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Puts Labour is a tricky position, damned if they do and damned if they don't support it. They can thank Tonly Blair, he should have thought beyond his term..

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Or, we could be a United Kingdom and have the same laws, taxes, policies and rules throughout the Kingdom. Otherwise, what's the point?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Or, we could be a United Kingdom and have the same laws, taxes, policies and rules throughout the Kingdom. Otherwise, what's the point?

good luck with telling the Scots that their parliament is now worthless

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
About time too.

I'm really pleased we still have a UK this morning, but Scottish MPs should not be allowed to vote on English issues.

Gauntlet thrown down to the Labour Party who will oppose this?

Isn't there already a major party consensus on it? I may be wrong.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Right, let's do things the Russian Way, then.

PS - I'm glad you said "almost"

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I can't believe it's taken this long.

Truth be told last night's marginal no, whilst a failure for all political parties really might just be the wake up call the union needs. Putting this question to bed would be a good start.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Conservative leader suggests excluding many opposition MPs from votes on English matters to guarantee a Tory majority if you want to take the cynical view. Or giving the English the power that will be given to Scots if you want to be kind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here