Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond - History?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He has admitted defeat, but was less than gracious, saying that the Scots had just not voted for independence yet. He was very demanding in declaring that next 'Scotland Bill' be delivered on time and without delay. He banged on about 1.6 million votes for the yes vote, whilst giving no mention of the no vote. The only positive comment he gave was that he respected the democratic choice of the electorate and encouraged his supporters to do the same.

Is this the end of the road for the Salmond/Sturgeon show?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Alex Salmond #youonlyhadonejob

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He won't see independence in his lifetime now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While I'm glad it's a 'no' vote, he does have a point. The demographics are pretty clear: the older Scottish voters said no to independence, but the younger ones overwhelming voted yes.

This side of the border, we see a similar breakdown in UKIP voting - the young are overwhelmingly pro-EU, while the over-65s are against.

So, for the same reasons that UKIP will disappear in the next decade, I can see independence for Scotland being back on the agenda within 20 years

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
While I'm glad it's a 'no' vote, he does have a point. The demographics are pretty clear: the older Scottish voters said no to independence, but the younger ones overwhelming voted yes.

This side of the border, we see a similar breakdown in UKIP voting - the young are overwhelmingly pro-EU, while the over-65s are against.

So, for the same reasons that UKIP will disappear in the next decade, I can see independence for Scotland being back on the agenda within 20 years

When is the next time they would be able to hold a referendum, ?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

The young get old.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Yes, but in 20 years, the young will be older! Young people are generally more radical, with age comes responsibility and people may look at issues like this a little more with their head than with their heart.....

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It seems to me that it would have been nice if the people of Scotland had been able to make an informed choice - ie if it could have been established how things would work in an independent Scotland before the vote, rather than this unprovable position on both sides, with Yes and No making conflicting claims. As it is, the brio of youth went with Yes, the caution of experience went with No. I've still no idea whether Scotland is a net contributor to the UK or recipient - I guess it all comes down to agreeing a formula in respect of North Sea oil.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The response of the yes campaign is incredibly bitter, blaming the BBC, a culture of fear, Tesco, whoever. As an outsider, I honestly think that it was their yes campaign that was extremely unpleasant.

So glad our sweaty friends are still with us.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Is this the end of the road for the Salmond/Sturgeon show?

Its the end of the Scot Independence question for a while but the start of endless bitching north of the border about extra powers and now years of cruddy handbags to follow between labour and the tories regarding the English Question.........should make for some good binfests though

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I suspect Salmond may well now be replaced as SNP leader by Nicola Sturgeon. He'll become a more presidential figure in the party.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was initially impressed by Salmond as he seemed to be pragmatic and level headed, but his bitterness and fellating of Rupert Murdoch (29 meetings with the Digger) and Donald Trump revealed his true character.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

In 20-25 years they will have no oil left.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I was initially impressed by Salmond as he seemed to be pragmatic and level headed, but his bitterness and fellating of Rupert Murdoch (29 meetings with the Digger) and Donald Trump revealed his true character.

He's a typical politician. Don't forget his cheerleading for Fred Goodwin at RBS and his support for the Euro.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The demographics are pretty clear: the older Scottish voters said no to independence, but the younger ones overwhelming voted yes.

where are you getting this breakdown on the demographics of how people voted.

link please

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
where are you getting this breakdown on the demographics of how people voted.

link please
I also have no evidence of this, but my common sense leads me to agree that the younger voters were more likely to vote for change.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here