Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McShambles - No vote throws UK politics into turmoil...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As the fourth Scottish region declares a NO vote and any hopes of independence begin to fade the realisation dawns that the legacy of this referendum is a right bloody political dogs dinner.

Westminster have made commitments to Scottish Home Rule that have been hastily conceded, the English backbenchers are making noises of discontent, the Welsh will want more money and power as the commitment to the Barnett formula for Scotland will be called into question, the prospect of differing and competing tax rates within the U.K will mess thing up.

This could make having Scottish MPs in Westminster simply untenable, English votes for English issues very likely, House Of Lords reform and God knows what else. And a UK general election is less than a year away. Total McShambles.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
51% no so far. Closer than I expected.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I agree with the first entry. The hasty concessions, and the bias towards Scotland, has caused a constitutional nightmare.

If I was Welsh I would not be happy.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It does seem that last week the government had a bit of a panic on.

As it is, I'm not sure whether all the promises and concessions would've made a difference to the results and now, by trying to convince Scotland to stay in the Union that way, the rest of it is more hacked off than it was at the start. Oops.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Dave says devolution commitments will be made quickly. More powers proposed for welsh and NI assemblies and the question of devolution for England will also be resolved. William Hague will put these proposals together chop-chop and they should all be resolved at the same pace. Plan for more Scottish powers is to be finalised by November and before parliament in January. Lord Smith of Kelvin to oversee extended Scottish devolution proposals.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although YES lost by 10% I think the seeds have been sown for a stronger Scottish Parliament that, ultimately, will push for independence in maybe another 10 years. I think the will of the people was there, but not the means.

If the Nationalists can sort the currency issue - and this will probably depend on the Euro and automatic EU entry or the creation of a Scottish national bank - then the repercussions of independence will be that much more predictable and YES might then win.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
As the fourth Scottish region declares a NO vote and any hopes of independence begin to fade the realisation dawns that the legacy of this referendum is a right bloody political dogs dinner.

Westminster have made commitments to Scottish Home Rule that have been hastily conceded, the English backbenchers are making noises of discontent, the Welsh will want more money and power as the commitment to the Barnett formula for Scotland will be called into question, the prospect of differing and competing tax rates within the U.K will mess thing up.

This could make having Scottish MPs in Westminster simply untenable, English votes for English issues very likely, House Of Lords reform and God knows what else. And a UK general election is less than a year away. Total McShambles.
It's the same as our wage structure...give a player extra to sign then the others want parity and causes discontent,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What do the Welsh have to do with it?

Think of it as children having a strop. Scotland will get greater powers, so the Welsh will say they want it too. The English will also stamp their feet and say me, me, me.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The Welsh didn't sign an Act of Union, they can have more power but it certainly won't come with more money. You should get one or the other.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Although YES lost by 10% I think the seeds have been sown for a stronger Scottish Parliament that, ultimately, will push for independence in maybe another 10 years. I think the will of the people was there, but not the means.

If the Nationalists can sort the currency issue - and this will probably depend on the Euro and automatic EU entry or the creation of a Scottish national bank - then the repercussions of independence will be that much more predictable and YES might then win.
I really can't see them being given a referendum every 10 years until they vote to go. Every 75-100 years, maybe.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I reckon the Catalans will be next to have a real go at it, despite the close-ish defeat. They were watching very closely.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Although YES lost by 10% I think the seeds have been sown for a stronger Scottish Parliament that, ultimately, will push for independence in maybe another 10 years.

Referenda are not like buses. There wont be another one any time soon.

That decision will last a lifetime at which point the gas and oil will all be gone and the sweaty socks will be pleased to be British.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here