Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
12 pages.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely he should vote in line with what he feels is right rather than what's popular with the middle class in Berkshire ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I still like him regardless and would most likely support him... unless he was against Federer or Tsonga.

Anyway, considering the amount of grief he's had over a misreported quote for the last god knows how long, why would he give a flying what anyone thinks of him when most have already made up their minds?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Surely he should vote in line with what he feels is right rather than what's popular with the middle class in Berkshire ?

He should never of backtracked when he said he would support Paraguay against England. He's Scottish for goodness sake, he shouldn't support England, and only took it back when he was told how unpopular he would be with the Daily mail readership. I wouldn't support the Jocks against anyone, it would be like supporting palace

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Of course he should. Everyone 'votes' according to their own beliefs and conscience. However, the reality is that he earns his millions in international competition, and will NOT be affected by the result of independence as he is worth god knows how much. He also lives in SURREY. He doesn't worry about the poor in Scotland. He is just entranced by the emotive bullshit of a potential independent state in which he will be able to participate in when it suits.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He should never of backtracked when he said he would support Paraguay against England. He's Scottish for goodness sake, he shouldn't support England, and only took it back when he was told how unpopular he would be with the Daily mail readership. I wouldn't support the Jocks against anyone, it would be like supporting palace

No. You are rewriting things, it wasn't backtrack at all. He was responding to banter about Scotland not qualifying (again) and broached on the subject of anyone but England. It was a bit of fun taken out of context.

He has repeatedly renounced that accusation that he is anti-English, but people don't listen. He's said how much he appreciates the support at Wimbledon, his favourite tournament, and that was the tournament he wanted the most. He's got a house in Wimbledon and his fiancee is English.

I reckon he despises us. :angry:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He does however live in England and has an English girl friend. Not sure if this was a wise move, and maybe he should have stayed quiet about this, even if that's what he believes. A 1.30am tweet, i suspect drink may have been an influence.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No. You are rewriting things, it wasn't backtrack at all. He was responding to banter about Scotland not qualifying (again) and broached on the subject of anyone but England. It was a bit of fun taken out of context.

He has repeatedly renounced that accusation that he is anti-English, but people don't listen. He's said how much he appreciates the support at Wimbledon, his favourite tournament, and that was the tournament he wanted the most. He's got a house in Wimbledon and his fiancee is English.

I reckon he despises us. :angry:

The interview with him that i saw was on the eve of the England v Paraguay game in the 2006? World cup, and he was asked if he was supporting England and he replied that he would be wearing his Paraguay shirt. I have no problem with him, he an ok tennis player, not a Federer obviously, but ok, it's just he obviously meant it, and if he had said afterwards that he didn't support England as he was Scottish, and where he was bought up it wasn't the done thing, i would have had a lot more respect for him. I have since seen the docu, that was on the bbc last year and he comes over as a nice lad.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What about all the other Scots heroes? There wouldn't be a cycling revival without the likes of Obree, Hoy etc. Have they been asked if they're happy to have a Tour of Scotland-less Britain?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Seriously, why does everyone get so worked up over every single, little bit of hot air than comes out of this man's mouth? He made a joke EIGHT years ago and that is still used as reason for people to justify their seemingly inherent dislike of him.

I have always been, and most likely will always be a fan of is but I really couldn't care less what he thinks about the referendum. Frankly he could wear a Saltire patterned jock-strap to bed every night for all I care. To me, he will forever be the first British man in nearly eighty years to re-capture Wimbledon and will always have been a part of that brilliant Team GB in 2012.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

I'd do anything to be unpopular with the Daily Mail readership. At least I would know I was probably right.

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012
I'd rather he voiced an opinion, whatever that may be, then simply regurgitate something he'd been told to say in his media training.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The interview with him that i saw was on the eve of the England v Paraguay game in the 2006? World cup, and he was asked if he was supporting England and he replied that he would be wearing his Paraguay shirt. I have no problem with him, he an ok tennis player, not a Federer obviously, but ok, it's just he obviously meant it, and if he had said afterwards that he didn't support England as he was Scottish, and where he was bought up it wasn't the done thing, i would have had a lot more respect for him. I have since seen the docu, that was on the bbc last year and he comes over as a nice lad.

That's not how I remember the interview. As BOF has said, you are rewriting the script.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Makes me laugh. He doesn't play popularity, he plays tennis.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Unless he has some sort of Scottish bolt hole, presumably he can't even vote anyway, as he lives in England.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He's a Scot - why wouldn't he be in favour of independence? I'm pretty sure I would in his position (especially as he is rich enough not to have to worry about any adverse economic effects of a 'Yes' majority for either England or Scotland).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think the foul abuse he received on Twatter is awful, by all means oppose his views on independance but at least do it intelligently or with some wit. It may be a little awkward for him now for a while but I'm sure this will all be forgotten. after all, he only said "Let's do this, Scotland " rather than give a Braveheart style rant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here