Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
marrs-180914-l229-1926899_478x359.jpg

James Marrs
Image by: Geoff Penn

PUBLISHED
15:36 18th September 2014
by James Hilsum
It’s nice to be sitting at the top but with only four games into the season, it means absolutely nothing."
James Marrs

Brighton & Hove Albion women manager James Marrs says the side’s position as league leaders means nothing at this stage of the season.
The Seagulls went top of the Premier League Southern Division table last week with an emphatic 5-0 victory over Plymouth, but the Albion manager insists the focus only lies on putting in a good performance against Cardiff City on Sunday.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “It doesn’t matter where we are in the league table as far as I’m concerned; we just get our targets each week and set out what we want them to achieve in each game. We’re not interested in the league table at all, it’s nice to be sitting at the top but with only four games into the season, it means absolutely nothing.
“As I found out last season with Gillingham, it means nothing when you’re 19/20 games into the season, so the girls won’t be getting complacent by any stretch of the imagination. We’ll focus on one game at a time and see where that takes us.
“We’ll forget the performance on Sunday and we always move on to the next game, no matter what the score is, whether we win 5-0 or we lose 2-0.” [h=2]LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK[/h]

Meanwhile Marrs isn’t taking Cardiff’s previous results into account as he prepares for this weekend’s meeting, due to the erratic nature of some of the scores throughout the division so far this season.“I believe they’ll be one of the teams that will be in the higher end of the division, but we know how unpredictable this league is.
“Cardiff lost to Plymouth a couple of weeks ago, but also beat Portsmouth 7-3, a team we lost to 2-0. It is one of those leagues where anything can happen on the day and you just have to make sure that your team turns up and works as hard as they possibly can.
“We could turn up and play really well on Sunday, work really hard and still get beaten. We’re just going to focus on ourselves, make sure that we bring hard work, commitment, desire and the attitude to compete in the game and we’ll see where that takes us.
“We’re expecting a really tough game. The two games against Cardiff that I had with Gillingham last year were really tough, physical games so I’m not expecting anything different this weekend.”
Albion are expected to welcome back Charlotte Young, along with Sophie Perry from international duty for the match. Charlotte Gurr (knee) Vicky Ashton-Jones (knee), Danielle Carlton (knee) and Lisa Fulgence (shoulder) are still recovering from long-term injuries.
[h=2]UPCOMING HOME FIXTURES[/h] [h=3]ALBION V blackpool
[/h] saturday 20TH september, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V cardiff
[/h] TUESDAY 30th september, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]Albion v middlesbrough
[/h] saturDAY 18TH october, kick-off 3pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills